Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E39 (1997 - 2003)

E39 (1997 - 2003)
The BMW 5-Series (E39 chassis) was introduced in the United States as a 1997 model year car and lasted until the 2004 when the E60 chassis was released. The United States saw several variations including the 525i, 528i, 530i and 540i. -- View the E39 Wiki

Old 06-03-2012, 04:48 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to 525iBEAST
Mein Auto: 2002 BMW 525i
Upgrading BRAKES with E39 M5 BRAKES!

Whatsup everybody just wanted to do some upgrades on my 2002 525i. Wanted to know if I could fit a e39 M5 front brakes and calibers on my 2002 e39 525i. Hope somebody can help me out with this SOON, was wanting to do it ASAP for better braking and larger brakes. Instead of going 3,000+ with Brembo!
Sent from my SGH-T989 using Bimmer App
Advertisement
Old 06-03-2012, 05:04 PM
I wanna DRIVE!

Mein Auto: 2000 540i6/2001 540iT
Quote:
Originally Posted by 525iBEAST View Post
Whatsup everybody just wanted to do some upgrades on my 2002 525i. Wanted to know if I could fit a e39 M5 front brakes and calibers on my 2002 e39 525i. Hope somebody can help me out with this SOON, was wanting to do it ASAP for better braking and larger brakes. Instead of going 3,000+ with Brembo!
Dude - i have M5 brakes on my car. Before you do this, consider that you will be paying a price for the bigger brakes in the form of unsprung weight. This will effect acceleration and handling. The first thing you want to do is stainless steel brakes lines and good brake fluid. Step 2 is better pads. These will make a huge difference with no weight penalty. If you try that and still want more, bounce back. I have my 540 sport brakes laying around heresomewhere.
Eibach sway bars
Zionsville Alloy Radiator and Cooling Kit
Authority CAI and ECU tuning
M5 calipers, EBC Green Stuff pads, European M5 floating rotors
SprintBooster
Eurodash
Euro armrest w/ tray
Rogue Engineering Tranny Mounts
Aspheric Mirrors
V1 in Center Rear Headrest w/Remote Display in ashtray
Lidatek (custom dash switch)
M5 grills
Debadged
Saab license plate frames & trunk handle
Old 06-03-2012, 05:18 PM

Well I'm going to go bigger on the rims like 18's or 19's and wanted to kind of fill out the rim and add some better stopping power. Also what size rotors are the 540 sport rotors?

Old 06-03-2012, 06:20 PM
Bimmer Loyalist

Mein Auto: E24 E39 E83
I am in the process of doing the exact same thing except on a 528. Not to thread jack but am I correct that all you need to do this conversion are the following;

1. Front M5 calipers/carriers
2. front backing plates (dust shields)
3. Rear M5 calipers/carriers
4. rear backing plates
5 front/rear brake lines (will purchase new ones)
6 front/rear rotors (new)

all of these should bolt on with no other mods, correct? Are the backing plates required as they seem to be the hardest part to find used.

Last edited by jayster0966; 06-03-2012 at 06:22 PM.
Old 06-03-2012, 08:44 PM

I just wanna do the front brakes and do you really need the backing plates (dust Shields)?

Old 06-03-2012, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohmess View Post
Dude - i have M5 brakes on my car. Before you do this, consider that you will be paying a price for the bigger brakes in the form of unsprung weight. This will effect acceleration and handling. The first thing you want to do is stainless steel brakes lines and good brake fluid. Step 2 is better pads. These will make a huge difference with no weight penalty. If you try that and still want more, bounce back. I have my 540 sport brakes laying around heresomewhere.
Well I'm going to go bigger on the rims like 18's or 19's and wanted to kind of fill out the rim and add some better stopping power. Also what size rotors are the 540 sports?
Old 06-03-2012, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayster0966 View Post
I am in the process of doing the exact same thing except on a 528. Not to thread jack but am I correct that all you need to do this conversion are the following;

1. Front M5 calipers/carriers
2. front backing plates (dust shields)
3. Rear M5 calipers/carriers
4. rear backing plates
5 front/rear brake lines (will purchase new ones)
6 front/rear rotors (new)

all of these should bolt on with no other mods, correct? Are the backing plates required as they seem to be the hardest part to find used.
I just wanna do the front brakes and do you really need the backing plates (dust Shields)?

Old 06-03-2012, 11:01 PM

Mein Auto: e39 530i e24 e23 e30
if you just do the fronts its going to be very biased and lock up quickly in the font under heavy breaking, do the rears as well.
Old 06-03-2012, 11:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stupid Kid View Post
if you just do the fronts its going to be very biased and lock up quickly in the font under heavy breaking, do the rears as well.
Really why would it lock up and be biased? But I do understand if your going to do front might as well do all four!
Old 06-04-2012, 06:37 AM

Quote:
http://www.vividracing.com/catalog/2...3-p-93702.html

Found a alternative that I like and I think I'm going to get and try out. No weight gain, 13" rotor's, 8-piston brake caliber's looks pretty good!
Old 06-04-2012, 06:56 AM
I wanna DRIVE!

I should have posted this earlier, but the number one thing you can do to improve your car's braking is to make sure you have good tires. If you are buying rims and tires don't go cheap on either one. In both cases, cheaper is heavier and is far more likely to be out of round (yes, lots of tires sold in the US are not round).

Are you planning to track your car? If not, your stock brakes with some better pads are likely going to be fine. Spend your money on better wheels and tires; decreasing your unsprung weight will make the car lighter and more nimble.
Eibach sway bars
SprintBooster
Eurodash
Euro armrest w/ tray
Aspheric Mirrors
M5 grills
Debadged
Old 06-04-2012, 07:17 AM

Quote:
I should have posted this earlier, but the number one thing you can do to improve your car's braking is to make sure you have good tires. If you are buying rims and tires don't go cheap on either one. In both cases, cheaper is heavier and is far more likely to be out of round (yes, lots of tires sold in the US are not round).

Are you planning to track your car? If not, your stock brakes with some better pads are likely going to be fine. Spend your money on better wheels and tires; decreasing your unsprung weight will make the car lighter and more nimble.
Well I wanted a overall look but also great breaking too. Tracking my car, maybe when it comes around, because I wanted to get into that tracking, autocrossing etc and only tire's I use that I like are toyo proxes.
Old 06-04-2012, 08:50 AM
I wanna DRIVE!

Toyo Proxies are quite good; I have a set on my e34. Go with these and put the money you plan to spend on big brakes into a light high quality set of wheels. The 18" M Parallels (not the replicas!) are some of the best wheels out there for our cars. If you can spend more, look at BBS. HRE and Fikse are simply outstanding, but even more expensive. I found my HREs used on ebay; but its hard to find used wheels with a 74mm hub.

This will do more for your car than bigger brakes. Don't believe me? Call Dave Zeckhausen at Zeckhausen Racing. He talked me out of a big brake kit, and he sells them.
Eibach sway bars
SprintBooster
Eurodash
Euro armrest w/ tray
Aspheric Mirrors
M5 grills
Debadged
Old 06-04-2012, 08:50 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: E39 hamster w/ pin-wheel
Quote:
+1.

Quote:

+1.

Quote:
Well, I wanted an overall look, but also have great braking too.
I will be tracking my car maybe when the time comes, because I wanted to get into tracking, autocrossing, etc.
And the only tire's I use that I like are Toyo Proxes.
Toyo Proxes what?
Proxes 4?
T1R's?
And, what other tires have you used?
Sizes?

What brake pads have you used?
Have you recently bled the brakes?

Last edited by Jason5driver; 06-04-2012 at 08:52 AM.
Old 06-04-2012, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason5driver View Post
+1.

+1.

Toyo Proxes what?
Proxes 4?
T1R's?
And, what other tires have you used?
Sizes?

What brake pads have you used?
Have you recently bled the brakes?
Yeah, toyo proxes 4 and no other beside the continental one's that I had on their when I bought the car.

Size: 225/55/16 that's all I have used sense I have had the stock rims from the day I bought it!

OEM brake pads, ceramic
Bleed the brakes, NO I haven't!
Old 06-04-2012, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Toyo Proxies are quite good; I have a set on my e34. Go with these and put the money you plan to spend on big brakes into a light high quality set of wheels. The 18" M Parallels (not the replicas!) are some of the best wheels out there for our cars. If you can spend more, look at BBS. HRE and Fikse are simply outstanding, but even more expensive. I found my HREs used on ebay; but its hard to find used wheels with a 74mm hub.

This will do more for your car than bigger brakes. Don't believe me? Call Dave Zeckhausen at Zeckhausen Racing. He talked me out of a big brake kit, and he sells them.
Ok gotcha. Well I'm just going to upgrade my rims, pads, rotors and add stainless steal brake lines. Just to start and see how that works and if I don't like it then I will repost again.