Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)

X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)
E70 BMW X5 produced between 2007 and 2013. Discuss the E70 X5 with other BMW owners here.

Old 06-04-2012, 08:52 PM

Mein Auto: x5 soon
Retrofit of smartphone integration and 6nr done

First off i have to thank Patryk at Bimmertech for making the entire experience very positive.

I have a 2013 Bmw x5 sports Unfortunately for me in Canada if you want the 6nr and smartphone integration you have to get the tech package which is the side cameras and hud display for almost 4k. you cannot get them separately.

I wasn't particularly interested in the hud display or the side cameras so i felt paying 4k for 6nr and smartphone integration was a little excessive.

After receiving my car i decided that i wanted both 6nr and the smartphone integration. I began to look at possible retrofit solutions with BMW but sadly none are available. however Patryk at Bimmertech offers a oem solution for the 6nr and smartphone integration.

For those interested here is the process and what steps are needed to have the retrofit function. i placed the order on his website and was informed my oem parts would be sent with instructions and the coding would be done remotely. I was little weary of having someone i don't know coding my car from the other side of the world but having read a few positive reviews i took the leap.

The goods: i already had the combox so what i needed was a green connector , a usb plug with a av in plug. That was pretty much what was in the box so i was very pleased to see there was not 100 different parts to install.

the installation: i was scared to death of scratching my wood trim so i asked my friend who has taken apart a few bmw radios to give me a hand. We basically removed the trim and the radio to get to the cic. I have to emit i was very skid dish while doing it but it went very smoothly and took 5 minutes to get to the cic. the other bit of removing is You need to replace your USB port in the armrest with the new usb av in.
When you remove the old USB port you hv to move 2 pins old AUX connector to the small green connector. then you run a coupe of pins to the cic and then you put the cic radio and trim back and voila you are done. not exactly rocket science but i would recommend you have the ability to get to the cic.

the coding: you will need a windows laptop you will be asked to install a few programs to allow for the remote coding. Some installations go really smoothly others a little less smoothly. Patryk associate "MEN" is a true professional who is truly amazing at remote coding. The coding part for me took a little bit longer then i thought some of it was my fault but MEN took the time to double check my installation and make sure everything was working. With a little patience MEN was able to code the car and make me a very happy man.

the results
DVD IN MOTION:

THE 6NR WHCH INCLUDES
BMW APPS:
NEWS
FACEBOOK
TWITTER
WEB RADIO
CALENDAR
LOCAL WIKI

THE INCREDIBLE SMARTPHONE PLUG IN WHICH ALLOWS FOR ALBUM ART AND THE IPHONE IPOD INTERFACE TO CONTROL YOU MUSIC

ANOTHER GREAT FEATURE IS VIDEO WITH SOUND!!!

AND ANOTHER BIG PLUS IPHONE DISPLAY ON THE IDIRVE!!!

If any of you are considering doing this go for it you won't be sorry ......i am loving it!!!

George

Last edited by sungod661; 06-04-2012 at 08:54 PM.
Advertisement
Old 06-04-2012, 11:36 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2009 X5 35d
Nice !

No BMW live or Internet ?!
Old 06-05-2012, 03:08 AM

Mein Auto: 2012 650i Convertible
Looks awesome. What are the benefits of having the iPhone display on the idrive screen? Can you actually click and use the apps from your phone via idrive?
Old 06-05-2012, 07:06 AM

yes i have both bmw live and the internet, i will take some pics of that as well, bmw live offers some cool functionality, but the internet is not available in motion and does not play flash.

There are huge advantages to having the iPhone display on the drive such as using every app on your phone looking at pictures act.... You could stream live tv through an app or use netflix ect...

I was really worried to do this especially with a brand new 2013 but it ended up vein a pretty cool experience i learned a great deal.
Old 06-05-2012, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itinj6 View Post
Looks awesome. What are the benefits of having the iPhone display on the idrive screen? Can you actually click and use the apps from your phone via idrive?
No. It's just video out.
Old 06-05-2012, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sungod661 View Post
yes i have both bmw live and the internet, i will take some pics of that as well, bmw live offers some cool functionality, but the internet is not available in motion and does not play flash.

There are huge advantages to having the iPhone display on the drive such as using every app on your phone looking at pictures act.... You could stream live tv through an app or use netflix ect...

I was really worried to do this especially with a brand new 2013 but it ended up vein a pretty cool experience i learned a great deal.
If you enable video in motion then Internet options will be available all the time.

I don't recommend using the Internet browser whilst driving though !
Old 06-05-2012, 09:03 AM

i can tell you in my case dvd in motion is enable but the internet options are not available when i drive.

i wouldn't use any of these features while driving but its cool for the passengers and especially the kids!
Old 06-05-2012, 10:09 AM

Mein Auto: was 530d, is X5d 2011
I am not sure how it works in Canada (or the US) - is it not possible to make individual order (or how is it called) for a particular item? I read about this some time ago (unfortunately, after X5 arrived)

Why is works differently in Europe where you can configure the car as you want (with some minor limitations) and in the US / Canada where you order packages? Is it for customers to make the life easier?

Quote:
First off i have to thank Patryk at Bimmertech for making the entire experience very positive.

I have a 2013 Bmw x5 sports Unfortunately for me in Canada if you want the 6nr and smartphone integration you have to get the tech package which is the side cameras and hud display for almost 4k. you cannot get them separately.

(...)

WTB: spare tire kit
Old 06-05-2012, 02:19 PM
'Fest Sponsor

Mein Auto: BMW
Thank you George for your positive feedback!
I am glad you enjoy your new features
Phone (USA): (646) 439-7920 (7:00am - 3:00pm ET) :: info@bimmer-tech.net :: www.bimmer-tech.net
Installation facilities worldwide.

Follow us on
Old 06-05-2012, 04:16 PM

Quote:
i can tell you in my case dvd in motion is enable but the internet options are not available when i drive.

i wouldn't use any of these features while driving but its cool for the passengers and especially the kids!
Mmm. That's odd. Internet works all the time for me. I have the hardware mod though rather than a coding mod, so that could be the reason.
Old 06-07-2012, 06:03 AM
'Fest Sponsor

Mein Auto: BMW
Quote:
Originally Posted by apw2607 View Post
Mmm. That's odd. Internet works all the time for me. I have the hardware mod though rather than a coding mod, so that could be the reason.
That's the difference between the software and hardware video in motion activation
Phone (USA): (646) 439-7920 (7:00am - 3:00pm ET) :: info@bimmer-tech.net :: www.bimmer-tech.net
Installation facilities worldwide.

Follow us on
Old 06-10-2012, 11:26 AM
Stargate Champion

Mein Auto: 2013 X5 35i M Sport
+1
Just had a great experience with Patryk and Men. Completely coded my car in minutes, an amazing experience. Well worth the $$

What is the app to get the jailbroken iphone on the display?
EDIT- figured it out, its DisplayOut.

its a nice option to have, but not all that convenient as it only works while iphone is in the cradle. When using the DisplayOut app to say display your email on the idrive display, you no longer have access to music, and adjusting the iPhone while driving is not very safe. Still a nice option for limited uses.

Last edited by X5FX; 06-10-2012 at 11:44 AM.
Old 06-10-2012, 04:34 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 650i Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by X5FX View Post
+1
Just had a great experience with Patryk and Men. Completely coded my car in minutes, an amazing experience. Well worth the $$

What is the app to get the jailbroken iphone on the display?
EDIT- figured it out, its DisplayOut.

its a nice option to have, but not all that convenient as it only works while iphone is in the cradle. When using the DisplayOut app to say display your email on the idrive display, you no longer have access to music, and adjusting the iPhone while driving is not very safe. Still a nice option for limited uses.
Wait a minute... So you're saying that with the iPhone display on the idrive screen, you can also view your email and texts, etc. through the screen too? If so, can you view them using the idrive controller or do you have to do it through the phone?

This may end my complaining for Apple not offering Message Access Protocol.

Edit- ok read again that it has to be done through the phone and not the idrive controller. My excitement got ahead of me.

Last edited by Itinj6; 06-10-2012 at 04:36 PM.
Old 06-10-2012, 04:52 PM
Stargate Champion

Mein Auto: 2013 X5 35i M Sport
I dont think this option requires any coding. Its simply an option with a Jailbrake app called DisplayOut.
It allows you to display whatever is on your iPhone, whether its email, texts, apps...anything. BUT...it is just a display, if you want to control the iphone you do it from the phone, which must be in the cradle.
Obviously this is less than ideal, but its still handy.
Old 06-15-2012, 05:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by X5FX View Post
I dont think this option requires any coding. Its simply an option with a Jailbrake app called DisplayOut.
It allows you to display whatever is on your iPhone, whether its email, texts, apps...anything. BUT...it is just a display, if you want to control the iphone you do it from the phone, which must be in the cradle.
Obviously this is less than ideal, but its still handy.
Yup!!! all you said is true but i dont have the cradle therefor for me i can if i want play with the phone in my hand (while not driving of course).
Old 12-06-2012, 09:32 PM

Mein Auto: 320i, X3 and X5
Quote:

I wasn't particularly interested in the hud display or the side cameras so i felt paying 4k for 6nr and smartphone integration was a little excessive.

After receiving my car i decided that i wanted both 6nr and the smartphone integration. I began to look at possible retrofit solutions with BMW but sadly none are available. however Patryk at Bimmertech offers a oem solution for the 6nr and smartphone integration.

For those interested here is the process and what steps are needed to have the retrofit function. i placed the order on his website and was informed my oem parts would be sent with instructions and the coding would be done remotely. I was little weary of having someone i don't know coding my car from the other side of the world but having read a few positive reviews i took the leap.

The goods: i already had the combox so what i needed was a green connector , a usb plug with a av in plug. That was pretty much what was in the box so i was very pleased to see there was not 100 different parts to install.

the installation: i was scared to death of scratching my wood trim so i asked my friend who has taken apart a few bmw radios to give me a hand. We basically removed the trim and the radio to get to the cic. I have to emit i was very skid dish while doing it but it went very smoothly and took 5 minutes to get to the cic. the other bit of removing is You need to replace your USB port in the armrest with the new usb av in.
When you remove the old USB port you hv to move 2 pins old AUX connector to the small green connector. then you run a coupe of pins to the cic and then you put the cic radio and trim back and voila you are done. not exactly rocket science but i would recommend you have the ability to get to the cic.

the coding: you will need a windows laptop you will be asked to install a few programs to allow for the remote coding. Some installations go really smoothly others a little less smoothly. Patryk associate "MEN" is a true professional who is truly amazing at remote coding. The coding part for me took a little bit longer then i thought some of it was my fault but MEN took the time to double check my installation and make sure everything was working. With a little patience MEN was able to code the car and make me a very happy man.

the results
DVD IN MOTION:

THE 6NR WHCH INCLUDES
BMW APPS:
NEWS
FACEBOOK
TWITTER
WEB RADIO
CALENDAR
LOCAL WIKI

THE INCREDIBLE SMARTPHONE PLUG IN WHICH ALLOWS FOR ALBUM ART AND THE IPHONE IPOD INTERFACE TO CONTROL YOU MUSIC

ANOTHER GREAT FEATURE IS VIDEO WITH SOUND!!!

AND ANOTHER BIG PLUS IPHONE DISPLAY ON THE IDIRVE!!!

If any of you are considering doing this go for it you won't be sorry ......i am loving it!!!

George
How do you get the iphone display on the idrive ???

Ok, Ill will jailbrake and install Videoout, Ill be back.....!!

Last edited by mgarciah; 12-09-2012 at 10:07 AM. Reason: update