Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)

X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)
E70 BMW X5 produced between 2007 and 2013. Discuss the E70 X5 with other BMW owners here.

Old 06-03-2012, 09:10 PM

Mein Auto: IS250
keyless with push start/stop

Does anyone with keyless entry and start/stop option let me know if you need to insert the keyfob into the ignition AND then push the start button? From the pic below, it looks like the key fob is inserted into the ignition slot next to the push start.....

Last edited by mME3; 06-03-2012 at 09:11 PM.
Ads by Google
Old 06-03-2012, 09:16 PM
Stargate Champion

Mein Auto: 2013 X5 35i M Sport
If you have Comfort Access, you never take the key out of your pocket. You do NOT need to insert the key.
If you dont have Comfort Access, you will need to insert the key in the hole to the left of the start button.
Old 06-03-2012, 09:33 PM

Thanks for the reply......the pic looks confusing
Old 06-03-2012, 09:48 PM
Resident Curmudgeon

Mein Auto: '12 X5 35d/E39M5/996TTX50
+1

"Keyless Entry" (generic for a remote control) is different than "Comfort Access" (A BMW term for their feature)
Old 06-04-2012, 05:02 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '11 335i,'02 M3, '08 X5,
There's actually no key in the picture.
Old 06-04-2012, 06:57 AM

Mein Auto: 2006 X3; 2010 528;2013 X5
Quote:
Originally Posted by mME3 View Post
Does anyone with keyless entry and start/stop option let me know if you need to insert the keyfob into the ignition AND then push the start button? From the pic below, it looks like the key fob is inserted into the ignition slot next to the push start.....

I get that message as a warning if I stop the car with the engine running (in park with brake set, of course) and walk a few feet away from the vehicle, say to pick up my newspaper from the driveway. Message disappears as soon as I get back in the car (Have comfort access). Is this your concern?
Old 06-04-2012, 06:58 AM

Mein Auto: 2006 X3; 2010 528;2013 X5
Quote:

I get that message as a warning if I stop the car with the engine running (in park with brake set, of course) and walk a few feet away from the vehicle, say to pick up my newspaper from the driveway. Message disappears as soon as I get back in the car (Have comfort access). Is this your concern? Isn't it a little cold in your car (60 degrees)?
Old 06-04-2012, 08:11 AM

Mein Auto: German
I can understand why this is confusing. For example, the F10 has keyless start standard, but has to be optioned with Comfort Access to unlock/lock the car with the door handles.
Old 06-04-2012, 02:22 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 M3 DCT
If your battery in your Comfort Access key is almost dead, it can cause the "CA No key Detected" error. The CA key needs the batteries replaced where the NON-CA key is recharged every time you put the key in the ignition.
-- SOLD --
08 550i M-Sport
04 BMW 545I sport
07 BMW X5 4.8I sport
02 BMW X5 4.4i sport
01 BMW 540I M/sport
00 SL500
97 SL500
Old 06-04-2012, 10:24 PM

Mein Auto: X5 Diesel xDrive35d
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRV99 View Post
If your battery in your Comfort Access key is almost dead, it can cause the "CA No key Detected" error. The CA key needs the batteries replaced where the NON-CA key is recharged every time you put the key in the ignition.
+1

Exactly right . . . comfort access key FOB does not get charged by inserting it into the key slot.

Key FOB needs to be in the key slot when storing various driver profile parameters (cabin temperature, radio station, etc etc) . . . at least that is how it has been working for me.

Also service related info that gets stored on the key fob does not get stored if key fob is not in the key slot . . . so as a matter of routine, on my way to the dealer for a service I leave the key fob in the key slot.
Old 06-04-2012, 11:46 PM

Mein Auto: X5 35D
Quote:
Originally Posted by RPsX5d View Post
+1

Exactly right . . . comfort access key FOB does not get charged by inserting it into the key slot.

Key FOB needs to be in the key slot when storing various driver profile parameters (cabin temperature, radio station, etc etc) . . . at least that is how it has been working for me.

Also service related info that gets stored on the key fob does not get stored if key fob is not in the key slot . . . so as a matter of routine, on my way to the dealer for a service I leave the key fob in the key slot.
My CA key fob hardly ever gets put into the key slot and the data gets stored in it just fine.

Chuck
Old 06-04-2012, 11:48 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 X5 35d
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckGr View Post
My CA key fob hardly ever gets put into the key slot and the data gets stored in it just fine.

Chuck
I think this is the way it used to be, on my 2008 335i I needed to insert it to get it updated for service, but with the 2011 335d it gets the data wireless.

Retired 2011 335d AW, M Sport, Premium and Convenience pkg, Heated Seats, Nav, HK, iPod/USB, smart phone. ED 8/31/10

Retired 2008 335i Coupe 6-speed Manual, Montego Blue, Sport, Premium, CW, Nav, PDC, AS, Shade, HD, Sat, Ipod/USB, Logic 7, CA
PCD 11/07

Retired 2004 545i Sapphire Black/Black 6-speed Manual, Sport.
Old 06-05-2012, 10:43 AM

The pic shown is not mine, I don't own an X5....yet. I was just concern about the keyless start and keyfob slot being next to it. I have other cars w/keyless start and there is no slot next to it so I just wanted to clear that out.

Also, does anyone knows exactly why the keyfob slot is there for if you have "Comfort Access"? Some say for service data, others say to start the car if the start button malfunction.....I can't seem to find or get a straight answer on this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenF12400 View Post
I get that message as a warning if I stop the car with the engine running (in park with brake set, of course) and walk a few feet away from the vehicle, say to pick up my newspaper from the driveway. Message disappears as soon as I get back in the car (Have comfort access). Is this your concern? Isn't it a little cold in your car (60 degrees)?
Old 06-05-2012, 11:01 AM

Mein Auto: Holden Wagon & Sedan
No way to start without the start/stop button. I look at as a place for the valet/service people to store my key as that's the only time it gets used. I have a heck of a time getting it out on the rare occasion someone puts it in there.

My guess is that they wanted to give the option to folks to keep it hanging on the dash instead of in a pocket or cupholder if they so desired. Also cuts down on non-common parts and manufacturing, so its money in the bank.

Jay
Old 06-05-2012, 11:11 AM

Mein Auto: 2012 X5 35d
I think it will also start in the slot if the battery is dead in the CA.

Retired 2011 335d AW, M Sport, Premium and Convenience pkg, Heated Seats, Nav, HK, iPod/USB, smart phone. ED 8/31/10

Retired 2008 335i Coupe 6-speed Manual, Montego Blue, Sport, Premium, CW, Nav, PDC, AS, Shade, HD, Sat, Ipod/USB, Logic 7, CA
PCD 11/07

Retired 2004 545i Sapphire Black/Black 6-speed Manual, Sport.
Old 06-05-2012, 11:14 AM

Mein Auto: X5 Diesel xDrive35d
Quote:
. . . Also, does anyone knows exactly why the keyfob slot is there for if you have "Comfort Access"? Some say for service data, others say to start the car if the start button malfunction.....I can't seem to find or get a straight answer on this.
My best *guess* (sorry, does not rise up to the "straight answer" level!) . . . having two types of dashboards to accommodate with and without comfort access is expensive . . . most likely once the no-comfort access goes wireless, the FOB slot will disappear. I would also expect the no-comfort access FOB to have replaceable batteries - i.e. no in-car charging of the FOB batteries.

I think the FOB slot will completely disappear at the next X5 refresh.
Old 01-02-2013, 05:07 PM

Mein Auto: 2010 X5 M
2010 X5 M comfort access

Hello all!

I just bought a 2010 BMW X5 M... I can start the car without placing the key in to the slot next to the start button... Question, do i need to place the key into that slot from time to time to have it charged? or this is a non sense practice?
Old 01-02-2013, 05:15 PM

Mein Auto: German
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladaint View Post
Hello all!

I just bought a 2010 BMW X5 M... I can start the car without placing the key in to the slot next to the start button... Question, do i need to place the key into that slot from time to time to have it charged? or this is a non sense practice?
Won't charge. Comfort Access cars have a removable battery in the key that needs to be replaced every so often. The cars without CA have their keys charged in the slot.
Old 01-02-2013, 05:20 PM

Mein Auto: X5 35D
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladaint View Post
Question, do i need to place the key into that slot from time to time to have it charged? or this is a non sense practice?
The comfort access key fobs have batteries that do not recharge so putting them in the key slot does nothing. If the battery in the fob gets low you will get a low battery warning and you just install a new battery. The batteries last a long time.

Chuck
Old 01-02-2013, 07:22 PM

Mein Auto: BMW X5 35d
The only time I plug the key into the x5 is when it gets confused by two keys. This happens only once and was frustrating enough for me. I like my car the way I set it up!

Sent from my LG-P999 using Bimmer App

Old 01-02-2013, 08:41 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 X5 Premium
I'm confused. Is the only thing that defines CA is the non-rechargeable battery?

I thought my X5 had CA (I'll have to check the window sticker).

I can can open/lock the doors with the sensors on all four doors. I can also start/stop the car without putting the fob in the slot, but if I go too long by not putting e fob in the slot it will tell me that it cannot detect the fob. Once I put it in the slot for a while, all is good.
Old 01-02-2013, 09:51 PM

Mein Auto: E70 & F04
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoHawks63 View Post
I'm confused. Is the only thing that defines CA is the non-rechargeable battery?

I thought my X5 had CA (I'll have to check the window sticker).

I can can open/lock the doors with the sensors on all four doors. I can also start/stop the car without putting the fob in the slot, but if I go too long by not putting e fob in the slot it will tell me that it cannot detect the fob. Once I put it in the slot for a while, all is good.
sounds like you may have a low battery on the key. You definitely have Comfort Access from what you are describing (sensors on 4 door handles, etc).
Old 01-03-2013, 02:23 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 X5 35D /2011 M37X
Just got the low battery warning on the Comfort Access key, picked up a two pack at Lowes for under 5 dollars, super easy to change. Can't imagine any one going to the dealer for this.
Old 01-03-2013, 02:40 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 X5 Premium
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kar Don View Post
sounds like you may have a low battery on the key. You definitely have Comfort Access from what you are describing (sensors on 4 door handles, etc).
Thanks. Picking up a couple of batteries on the way home. Called the dealer and the SM said the same. He said that the vehicles with CA tend to go through batteries quicker.

I wonder why the X5s with CA are more (fob) battery hogs. Is it because it stores the settings in the fob?

The reason why I ask is that I had an Acura RL that had keyless ignition with the touch sensor door handles. I owned that car for 6 years and never had to replace the battery in the fob.

Just curious.
Old 01-03-2013, 04:40 PM
Resident Curmudgeon

Mein Auto: '12 X5 35d/E39M5/996TTX50
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoHawks63 View Post
T
I wonder why the X5s with CA are more (fob) battery hogs. Is it because it stores the settings in the fob?

The reason why I ask is that I had an Acura RL that had keyless ignition with the touch sensor door handles. I owned that car for 6 years and never had to replace the battery in the fob.

Just curious.
Probably because BMW doesnt employ a single EE.

(Or thats what it feels like... consultants and spec developers....)