Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)

X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)
E70 BMW X5 produced between 2007 and 2013. Discuss the E70 X5 with other BMW owners here.

Old 06-07-2012, 08:50 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: X5 35d; 750Li; IS F
This thread made me smile.

Finally, something that everyone agrees on.

For those of you that are wondering what orange peel is all about and what proper paint should look like....go check out any Lexus....typically among the industry best.

Yes, I said it....get over it.

'11 750 Li Xdrive Alpine White
'10 X5 35d Space Grey
Old 06-07-2012, 11:54 PM
Resident Curmudgeon

Mein Auto: '12 X5 35d/E39M5/996TTX50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cdnrockies View Post
This thread made me smile.

Finally, something that everyone agrees on.

For those of you that are wondering what orange peel is all about and what proper paint should look like....go check out any Lexus....typically among the industry best.

Yes, I said it....get over it.

Yeah, well...they must use environmentally un-friendly paint, right?

Because when you bring it up to a BMW salesman (after they first pretend they see nothing) they blame the EPA and 'government regulations'.

I tell you, if the public was informed and people heard from all the various blogs the straight story, BMW would improve. But here is the shocker- in this thread you hear an almost universal agreement that BMW paint is inferior- just a matter of fact agreement of "yeah, sure sucks"... yet ONLY here. All the reviews and comparisons just simply fail to address this glaring defect!

Wonder why....Love the handling, but paint wise it is hard to respect. Furthermore, I'd pay $2-3k more for upgraded paint.
Old 06-08-2012, 03:29 AM

Mein Auto: 2008 X5 3.0si
My understanding is that, orange peel can be fixed.

Check out the various car detailing forums.

So I would have a professional detailer fix it, and at the same time apply OptiGuard.
Old 06-08-2012, 07:19 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 X5 Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by ard View Post
Yeah, well...they must use environmentally un-friendly paint, right?

Because when you bring it up to a BMW salesman (after they first pretend they see nothing) they blame the EPA and 'government regulations'.

I tell you, if the public was informed and people heard from all the various blogs the straight story, BMW would improve. But here is the shocker- in this thread you hear an almost universal agreement that BMW paint is inferior- just a matter of fact agreement of "yeah, sure sucks"... yet ONLY here. All the reviews and comparisons just simply fail to address this glaring defect!

Wonder why....Love the handling, but paint wise it is hard to respect. Furthermore, I'd pay $2-3k more for upgraded paint.
That is the beauty of "independent" reviews. Just like in hi-fi, this stuff is very expensive to buy just for a review, so in order to review it, the manufacturer needs to send it to the reviewer. Guess how many will do it for you if you put out strong negative reviews, even if they are founded? Some art of sophisticated butt kissing and appearing independent (within acceptable bounds)...
Old 06-08-2012, 07:24 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 X5 Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by RockChips View Post
My understanding is that, orange peel can be fixed.

Check out the various car detailing forums.

So I would have a professional detailer fix it, and at the same time apply OptiGuard.
That is not really a fix, rather an optical correction that makes it less visible. The defect is a physical distortion of the paint surface, and the only way to actually fix it is by doing a complete paint job all over. Who is going to do that? Those gooze bumps suck, but you don't really see them from 2 feet away, so I personally told my brain to just shut up about it
Old 06-08-2012, 08:31 AM

Mein Auto: X5 35d
Thanks for pointing out the orange peel of my paint. Never paid any attention to it before and hope to put it right back out of mind.
Old 06-08-2012, 08:44 AM

Mein Auto: 2007 X5 3.0
Quote:
I havent seen a BMW "Individual" Paint up close. Does it have a better finish (less orange peel effect), or its just simply a color upgrade with the same painting process like any other BMW?
Old 06-08-2012, 10:28 AM
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by bxmxwx View Post
That is not really a fix, rather an optical correction that makes it less visible. The defect is a physical distortion of the paint surface, and the only way to actually fix it is by doing a complete paint job all over. Who is going to do that? Those gooze bumps suck, but you don't really see them from 2 feet away, so I personally told my brain to just shut up about it
Correct.

But a razor sharp reflection off a black car will 'pop' without OP...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrt0006 View Post
I havent seen a BMW "Individual" Paint up close. Does it have a better finish (less orange peel effect), or its just simply a color upgrade with the same painting process like any other BMW?
Dunno. I suspect the process is the same, but maybe just a bit more care laying it down? Be interesting to know....

On a tour of the P factory in stuttgart, all 911s get painted by hand/human.
Old 06-08-2012, 11:41 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 X5 35i Premium
I've always thought individual paint was just an exclusive shade of color per model.
Maybe I'm wrong but I suspect the quality of paint is same.
2007 525i - Black Sapphire Metallic, Black Nevada Leather, Premium package, CWP, 6MT.
Old 06-08-2012, 04:59 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 BMW X5 35D
Quote:
Originally Posted by peteo View Post
Thanks for pointing out the orange peel of my paint. Never paid any attention to it before and hope to put it right back out of mind.
I just got my car washed and now I keep looking at the orange peel in my paint. I'm sitting in a parking lot across from a Lexus as I write this, and the paint on the RX is perfectly smooth. Sigh...sometimes being in the dark on these things is better.
Old 06-08-2012, 07:02 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 535i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lance Alot View Post
I just got my car washed and now I keep looking at the orange peel in my paint. I'm sitting in a parking lot across from a Lexus as I write this, and the paint on the RX is perfectly smooth. Sigh...sometimes being in the dark on these things is better.
$hit - no kidding on ignorance being bliss; I did not even have to go check my car after I read this thread and saw all the sample pictures. I just expected the paint was normal - WTF This is going to bug me big time now.

Retired: 2010 535|| White, Natural Brown interior, Sports, SAT, iPOD, Rear airbags

Retired - 2008 528 - Premium, iPod, Cold Weather, Titanium with black interior

Old 06-10-2012, 05:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bxmxwx View Post

A detailer will wetsand it.

BMW is just too cheap to wetsand at the factory, and skips this step.

So it is an actual fix. The paint is made smooth. If orange peel really bothers anyone, just have this done like several other BMW owners have.

Last edited by RockChips; 06-10-2012 at 06:00 AM.
Old 06-10-2012, 06:18 AM

Mein Auto: 2014 M6
I had a 335 Space Grey no orange peel. Had a Jet Black with terrible Orange Peel. Made me crazy.

I've not got s 2012 F13 Carbon
Black. No Orange Peel whatsoever.

In fact I don't think any 6 series I've seen has it. I've not heard about it on the 6 forum and they are truly obsessive fanatics--we complain about everything.
Old 06-10-2012, 09:09 AM

Mein Auto: 2014 335i, 2002 330i
Quote:
A detailer will wetsand it.

BMW is just too cheap to wetsand at the factory, and skips this step.

So it is an actual fix. The paint is made smooth. If orange peel really bothers anyone, just have this done like several other BMW owners have.
Won't that take off the clear coat?
Old 06-10-2012, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiefneil View Post
Won't that take off the clear coat?

Thats why I said get Optiguard also put on.

Optiguard is essentially a layer of clear coat.
Old 06-10-2012, 05:50 PM
Among the Proud

Mein Auto: X5 3.0si
learned to live with it, just like with swirl marks (against white I only see it when there's light shined on it when dark out). You can baby it till the cows come home but in the end it will still appear. So will marks on your rims no matter how careful you are.

Just enjoy the ride and your blood pressure will be better off.

-> more pics at Flickr <-

Last edited by rh71; 06-10-2012 at 05:51 PM.
Old 06-10-2012, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rh71 View Post
learned to live with it, just like with swirl marks

who says you have to live with that either?

you all really need to get into car detailing/paint correction.
Old 06-11-2012, 05:24 AM
Among the Proud

Mein Auto: X5 3.0si
Quote:
who says you have to live with that either?

you all really need to get into car detailing/paint correction.
I understand it's a hobby (or profession) for some but my days of worrying about every nick or scratch are just about over. The first year it was still pretty pristine but then time moved on. I wash it by hand once a week and see new marks once in a while - and nobody else touches or drives the car. Somehow scratches are on the rim or on the aero kit when nobody else could've gotten near it. It's just the nature of actually driving the car around. I'm done spending more than an hour each week. The car is over 4 years old and these things are bound to happen. Swirl marks - I use a wash mitt and microfiber cloths - but I'm not going to put these things in the wash and use 2 buckets each time only to have it happen anyway. Some people don't have the time to wash their own car to begin with.

-> more pics at Flickr <-

Last edited by rh71; 06-11-2012 at 05:27 AM.
Old 06-11-2012, 10:57 AM

Mein Auto: BMW X5 35d
Quote:
Originally Posted by rh71 View Post
I understand it's a hobby (or profession) for some but my days of worrying about every nick or scratch are just about over. The first year it was still pretty pristine but then time moved on. I wash it by hand once a week and see new marks once in a while - and nobody else touches or drives the car. Somehow scratches are on the rim or on the aero kit when nobody else could've gotten near it. It's just the nature of actually driving the car around. I'm done spending more than an hour each week. The car is over 4 years old and these things are bound to happen. Swirl marks - I use a wash mitt and microfiber cloths - but I'm not going to put these things in the wash and use 2 buckets each time only to have it happen anyway. Some people don't have the time to wash their own car to begin with.
Right on man.
Mods : Clear Bra-Radar Hard-wired
So far so good-made on Wednesday
Old 01-09-2013, 02:17 PM
Aviator

Mein Auto: BMWs
I thought I'd search before introducing a new post and was surprised to find so much unhappiness with good 'ole USA paint from SC. I took delivery in the rain and today was the first real opportunity to wash the X5M up nice and see what I have. I was amazed at the orange peel and low gloss on the vertical surfaces - worst I've seen from BMW. I looked at the other Bimmers in our stable ( '12 650 vert, '12 750, '11 Z4) and although not perfect they are a hell of a lot better than the Spartanburg paint.

Sometimes one can color sand the clear and work most of it out, but I doubt if it would clean up before busting through the clear. Amazing BMW can't paint any better than this

The best paint I've ever had on a new car was a Mazda Millenia S; better than the 3 Porsches, MB, my RS6, ... BMW wins the race to the bottom I guess

...and a bunch of old English motorcycles

Last edited by dkreidel; 01-09-2013 at 02:19 PM.
Old 01-09-2013, 03:16 PM
Resident Curmudgeon

And before anyone posts "Blame the EPA", there are plenty of mfgs with nice paint in the USA...and BMW paint from Germany is pretty sad too!

A
Old 01-09-2013, 04:34 PM

Mein Auto: Z4 and X5 Diesel
Quote:
And before anyone posts "Blame the EPA", there are plenty of mfgs with nice paint in the USA...and BMW paint from Germany is pretty sad too!

A
Indeed. Check out any Ford, including the cheaper Focus model. The vast majority have superior paint surfaces, with little or no orange peel, as compared to BMWs.
Old 01-09-2013, 04:42 PM

Mein Auto: German
Quote:
Originally Posted by Penguin View Post
Indeed. Check out any Ford, including the cheaper Focus model. The vast majority have superior paint surfaces, with little or no orange peel, as compared to BMWs.
No way. Ford is terrible too.

Good examples of top quality paint finishes are Toyota/Lexus (especially pearl white or metallic colors) or Audi (pearl, metallic colors)
Old 01-10-2013, 07:04 AM

Mein Auto: 2008 X5
As far back as I can remember, cars coming from Europe have always been known to have orange peel paint. most noticeable in black. I once heard it said that they put the paint on a bit heavier..I'm not sure that's a good enough reason. It doesn't bother me, and if it's a durability thing, I'll live with it. The absolute best paint I've had on a car was my 2008 Infinity EX35. It was a self healing paint, gorgeous, and looked as good as new when I traded it in.

BMW knows how to paint a smooth finish. So I'd be interested in knowing what the thought is behind the orange peel look. Maybe it is a more durable finish for cars that may take a bit more abuse?
Old 01-10-2013, 07:07 AM
///Monkeyazz Duck

Mein Auto: 535i M Sport; 328i Wagon
Quote:
Originally Posted by MIX5 View Post
As far back as I can remember, cars coming from Europe have always been known to have orange peel paint. most noticeable in black.
Can't use that excuse for the X5. Or any other BMW's built / painted in the USA.

Current BMW's:
2014 535i MSport Space / Black, ZCW, ZDA, ZLP, ZLS, ZPP, H-K and 704
2014 328i Sport Wagon, Glacier / Black, ZSL, ZD2, ZD3, ZDH, ZLP, ZPP, ZTP, and H-K

Prior BMW's
2011 535ix MSport
2011 X5 35D
2008 ///M3 Vert
2008 X5 3.0
2007 X5 3.0
2006 X5 3.0
2006 550iA SP
2003 540iA M-Technic