Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 (2012 - current)

F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 (2012 - current)
The sixth generation 3 series, chassis code F30. 2013 model year 328i and 335i sedans now in production. Read the F30 frequently asked question thread for all your basic question and dive into all the details in the ultimate F30 information thread.

Old 05-27-2012, 02:55 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 335i
New 2012 335i - Drivetrain Malfunction

After 12 long weeks I finally picked up my Alpine White 335 on Friday afternoon. CA and I went for a test drive prior to delivery and that was fine. Saturday morning I make a round trip of about 90 miles - no issues. Saturday afternoon I start to notice the transmission (it is an auto trans) not downshifting properly.... while braking from say 40 mph to a stop, the trans would make a 'clunk' sound and then downshift abruptly and not at all smoothly. This continued during short-around-town trips Sat afternoon. It had this condition in all modes - eco-pro, comfort, and sport. This morning, my wife and I were going to take the car on a 200-mile round trip - car exhibited same symptoms ... apparently worse... then the "Drivetrain Mailfunction" error appeared - "full drivetrain output not available - Drive Moderately". Visit Service Center. Car now in limp mode. I pulled over, shut it down, waited a min, restarted it, and within 1/4 mile the error reappeared. Car limped home and remains in my garage. Obviously taking it into dealer Tues morning. Just got home - going to google this 'drivetrain malfunction' issue - have not done that yet but figured I'd start with this group.

car has 120 miles and not driveable - very frustrating. Thanks in advance for any advice/suggestions. I will keep this thread updated as the repair action proceeds...
Advertisement
Old 05-27-2012, 03:10 PM

Mein Auto: Z series cars...
Sounds like a defective transmission...but fortunately, it happened quickly and before you headed out on your trip.
Old 05-28-2012, 11:51 AM

Mein Auto: 335
I also have an automatic 2012 335 and recently discovered I had a leaking transmission cooler pump. This affected the shifting and gave off a slight burning smell. I think the more extensive the leak the more likely severe damage. Maybe my issue is totally unrelated to yours though.
Old 05-28-2012, 12:01 PM

Dealer was open today-Memorial Day - no service technicians but I was able to drop the car off and get a loaner ('12 528i) - I will know more tomorrow. Transmission seems fine as the car drives normally after re-start for about 2 miles, then "drivetrain malfunction' warning indicator comes on. But before it comes on, the car seems normal - so we'll see. Trying to keep a positive perspective as we are early in the process here....
Old 05-30-2012, 05:13 PM

I was advised today that my brand new car (120 miles on it) is getting a brand new transmission to remedy this situation. I am pleased with the diagnosis - and I'd appreciate any feedback. Dealer worked with BMW factory to run test plans and analyze results. New trans on order - should have car in a week or so.
Old 05-30-2012, 05:49 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: F30
Quote:
Originally Posted by larrydrums View Post
I was advised today that my brand new car (120 miles on it) is getting a brand new transmission to remedy this situation. I am pleased with the diagnosis - and I'd appreciate any feedback. Dealer worked with BMW factory to run test plans and analyze results. New trans on order - should have car in a week or so.
Your new car needs a new transmission installed by the local dealer and you're going to be OK with it?

I'd insist on a replacement car; the mechanic is NEVER going to reinstall a transmission correctly, the way it was done at the factory.

In Mass, this would be an easy lemon law buyback. Check your local state lemon law and be sure to consider protecting yourself under that law before you rely on a dealer re-assembly of your car.
Old 05-30-2012, 06:14 PM

Thanks for the feedback. I was OK with the full trans replacement vs trying to repair the transmission especially after it was downshifting harshly, etc. I had not thought about requesting replacement. I will look into the lemon law here in IL. I would appreciate it if you would elaborate on why you feel the "mechanic is never going to reinstall a transmission correctly, the way it was done at the factory"? Isn't it either installed correctly, or not installed correctly? How can it be installed correctly by the dealer, be fully tested and deemed operational, yet not be as good as if the factory did it. What am I missing here? If there is a compelling difference then I need to understand that. I am moving to the 335 from a 2007Infinity G35 which had two major repairs during the first year I had it - full steering rack replaced, and clutch master cylinder replaced by local dealer - neither were problematic at all after the repair.

I will research the IL lemon law - if anyone here has been through the process, please let me know.

Thanks again.
Old 05-30-2012, 06:26 PM
Squeal like a BMW

Mein Auto: 2013 Audi A4
There's no way to know whether the mechanic will install the new transmission as well as the factory. There is one sure way to get one installed like they do at the factory and that is to have your car replaced. It's a brand new car and this sort of defect is not acceptable.

If nothing else demand an extended warranty since you are taking somewhat of a risk by keeping a defective vehicle straight from the factory (what else did they miss?)

Lemon law usually requires multiple failures of the same part so I doubt it will help.
Old 05-30-2012, 06:53 PM

Mein Auto: F30
Quote:
Thanks for the feedback. I was OK with the full trans replacement vs trying to repair the transmission especially after it was downshifting harshly, etc. I had not thought about requesting replacement. I will look into the lemon law here in IL. I would appreciate it if you would elaborate on why you feel the "mechanic is never going to reinstall a transmission correctly, the way it was done at the factory"? Isn't it either installed correctly, or not installed correctly? How can it be installed correctly by the dealer, be fully tested and deemed operational, yet not be as good as if the factory did it. What am I missing here? If there is a compelling difference then I need to understand that. I am moving to the 335 from a 2007Infinity G35 which had two major repairs during the first year I had it - full steering rack replaced, and clutch master cylinder replaced by local dealer - neither were problematic at all after the repair.

I will research the IL lemon law - if anyone here has been through the process, please let me know.

Thanks again.
If you've ever been on a factory tour, you would have seen that the entire drivetrain -- engine PLUS transmission -- is mated to the car from underneath. In fact, in my tour of the Munich plant on my 2005 ED, I was amused to hear the tour guide triumphantly call this the "marriage" of the powertrain to the car.

When I picked up a Volvo last December in Sweden, their factory tour took us by the work area in which XC90s are "mated" with their powertrains in exactly the same manner.

So, unless you dealer has the ability to completely remove the powertrain from the car, then disassemble the transmission completely from the engine, then mate the two of them back in the same manner they are pre-assembled before insertion into the car, you simply won't get the same level of automation and quality control that the factory provides.

Plus, how often do you think this mechanic has replaced a ZF 8-speed transmission in an F30? Maybe in an F10...but you are likely to be the first F30 he or she has ever done this job on.

Why be the training car for this mechanic? Call BMW right away and tell them no deal...you want the car swapped out.
Old 05-30-2012, 07:19 PM

Mein Auto: 12 328i ED & 11 328i ED
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yobyot View Post
If you've ever been on a factory tour, you would have seen that the entire drivetrain -- engine PLUS transmission -- is mated to the car from underneath. In fact, in my tour of the Munich plant on my 2005 ED, I was amused to hear the tour guide triumphantly call this the "marriage" of the powertrain to the car.

When I picked up a Volvo last December in Sweden, their factory tour took us by the work area in which XC90s are "mated" with their powertrains in exactly the same manner.

So, unless you dealer has the ability to completely remove the powertrain from the car, then disassemble the transmission completely from the engine, then mate the two of them back in the same manner they are pre-assembled before insertion into the car, you simply won't get the same level of automation and quality control that the factory provides.

Plus, how often do you think this mechanic has replaced a ZF 8-speed transmission in an F30? Maybe in an F10...but you are likely to be the first F30 he or she has ever done this job on.

Why be the training car for this mechanic? Call BMW right away and tell them no deal...you want the car swapped out.
^ The car may be assembled that way but changing a transmission is changing a transmission. The techs at the dealerships go to extensive schools for each new model, and frankly changing a transmission is just not rocket science. OP has the right attitude and I am glad to see somebody keeping things in perspective.

If the tech messes-up, the dealership will make it right. I'm sorry the OP had this issue and I hope it gets resolved to your satisfaction quickly.
Old 05-30-2012, 08:29 PM

Mein Auto: ~
Quote:
Originally Posted by White05X3 View Post
^ The car may be assembled that way but changing a transmission is changing a transmission. The techs at the dealerships go to extensive schools for each new model, and frankly changing a transmission is just not rocket science.
Exactly.

I have swapped transmissions, changed rear-ends, etc. in a home garage with a four post lift and a rolling hoist with zero after-the-swap issues.

These are mass-produced cars. They are made to have interchangeable parts. The techs are good and have wonderful equipment. There is no magic needed.

Here's to an efficient swap and back on the road again!
Old 06-01-2012, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by White05X3 View Post
^ The car may be assembled that way but changing a transmission is changing a transmission. The techs at the dealerships go to extensive schools for each new model, and frankly changing a transmission is just not rocket science. OP has the right attitude and I am glad to see somebody keeping things in perspective.

If the tech messes-up, the dealership will make it right. I'm sorry the OP had this issue and I hope it gets resolved to your satisfaction quickly.
I appreciate the feedback. So, assuming these options get approved the choice I am facing is:
1) - Mfg ****back of existing car, replace with new order, wait 12+ weeks to get it
2) - Proceed w repair - new trans installed, warranty improved to 6 yrs/100,000 miles.

I can make the decision after the repair is completed - inspect and drive the car - then decide whether to keep it w/ additional warranty, OR, ask them to order me an identical new one. (this is an alpine white 335i with every option except the parking package).

I am going to think about this for a while as I don't need to make the decision until the repair action is completed.

Thoughts?
Old 06-01-2012, 09:57 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 335i and 2014 X3 35i
Honestly I am in the camp of let them change the transmission and it will be fine. In my 2008 X5 they had to replace the entire electric wiring system and I had not issues after that. If you own this car and you can get 6 years 100k extended warranty that IMO is a huge bonus. Now if they do this job and you experience the problem again then i would say start making noise. Also to this point, can you get something in writing, like hey if i continue to experience issues then you will swap cars out? They know the lemon laws out there so I don't think they will have an issue with this.

2013 335i Sportline | M-adaptive | HK | NAV | PDC | Heated Front seats |6-speed MT.

2011 X5 35d Great SUV gone

2009 C350 Mercedes Gone 7-31-2012, good car but boooooooooring.

2008 X5 4.8i - Turned in 1/24/11 They created the Lemon law because of this SUV.
Old 06-01-2012, 10:11 AM
I probably dislike you...

Mein Auto: 2013 328i Sport
Quote:
I appreciate the feedback. So, assuming these options get approved the choice I am facing is:
1) - Mfg ****back of existing car, replace with new order, wait 12+ weeks to get it
2) - Proceed w repair - new trans installed, warranty improved to 6 yrs/100,000 miles.

I can make the decision after the repair is completed - inspect and drive the car - then decide whether to keep it w/ additional warranty, OR, ask them to order me an identical new one. (this is an alpine white 335i with every option except the parking package).

I am going to think about this for a while as I don't need to make the decision until the repair action is completed.

Thoughts?
Warranty all the way assuming you plan to keep this car for a while. Make sure it is highest level of warranty though (they have 3 grades) and that it is a true BMW extended warranty that is honored nationwide, not some only at this dealership/third party deal.
Old 06-01-2012, 10:18 AM

Mein Auto: 2012 328i Auto
I would expect the transmission replacement to go smoothly. This is a brand new car so none of the nuts/bolts will be corroded (so nothing is stripped/damaged) and the new transmission should be identical and easy to swap out. It's when they get a few years old that it starts to get tricky (corrosion, brackets get tweaked, threads get messed up, parts change and need "adjustment", etc.)
Old 06-01-2012, 10:45 AM

Hi OP,

I suggest you drive the car after the repair is done, before signing it out of service, and make your decision then. Honestly the car will likely be just fine so I would enjoy your freshly repaired car!
Old 06-05-2012, 08:17 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 BMW 328i
Same problem 2012 BMW 328i

Larry I have the same problem with my new 328i. Car is under 30 days old with roughly 1000 miles. BMW says its a "Mctronics?" issue with the transmission communication. Waiting on parts from Germany (wiring harness and comm module). The case is open with BMW corporate. Oh and my loaner decided to blow up and buzz for 2 hours from the backseat for no reason
Old 06-07-2012, 03:56 PM

Update. Picked her up today... drove it for 40 minutes like I stole it and it is good as new. Dealership and regional BMW rep were great throughout the process. Car now has a 6 yr/100,000 mile Gold warranty and a set of wheel locks. Initial disappointment vanished shortly after I had it on the interstate this afternoon. Thanks to all for the advice - on both sides of the issue - I appreciated all feedback and it all really helped me with the decision. I have a new car that is operating as designed. I also have 12 days on the "lemon law" clock - if there are subsequent issues over the next 12 months a replacement is still an option if this turns out to be a chronic issue. Hopefully it won't be and this will all be behind us. Thanks again. Here are a couple of pictures-
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02327.jpg
Views:	238
Size:	150.4 KB
ID:	328278   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02323.jpg
Views:	303
Size:	130.9 KB
ID:	328279   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02330.jpg
Views:	241
Size:	130.5 KB
ID:	328280  

Last edited by larrydrums; 06-07-2012 at 03:58 PM.
Old 06-07-2012, 04:08 PM

Great outcome. I am really glad it turned out well and I hope you enjoy many more miles with your car!
Old 06-07-2012, 04:22 PM

Mein Auto: ~
Excellent news!

It is great to hear you are happy. These quirky issues happen occasionally.
Old 06-07-2012, 05:43 PM

Mein Auto: 328i F30
Quote:
Update. Picked her up today... drove it for 40 minutes like I stole it and it is good as new. Dealership and regional BMW rep were great throughout the process. Car now has a 6 yr/100,000 mile Gold warranty and a set of wheel locks. Initial disappointment vanished shortly after I had it on the interstate this afternoon. Thanks to all for the advice - on both sides of the issue - I appreciated all feedback and it all really helped me with the decision. I have a new car that is operating as designed. I also have 12 days on the "lemon law" clock - if there are subsequent issues over the next 12 months a replacement is still an option if this turns out to be a chronic issue. Hopefully it won't be and this will all be behind us. Thanks again. Here are a couple of pictures-
Looks great! Alpine White is outstanding on these!!!
Old 06-08-2012, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Excellent news, great to hear the dealer was there for you every step of the way and honestly you made out with that extended warranty.

2013 335i Sportline | M-adaptive | HK | NAV | PDC | Heated Front seats |6-speed MT.

2008 X5 4.8i - Turned in 1/24/11 They created the Lemon law because of this SUV.
Old 06-08-2012, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Excellent news, great to hear the dealer was there for you every step of the way and honestly you made out with that extended warranty.

Old 08-26-2012, 05:05 PM

Mein Auto: f30
Same issue with 328i

Hi Larry,

I would like to pm you about your issue with your 3 series because I think I have the same issue with mine.

Teddy
Old 09-12-2014, 12:11 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 335i F30
2012 BMW 335i Drivetrain Malfunction

I leased my 335i in 2012 and I have had drivetrain malfunction 3 times in where the vehicle was still drivable and when the 4th time occurred the vehicle was turned off and never started again and it had to be towed to the nearest bmw service location. And yesterday I was driving the car and everything seemed to be ok and all of the sudden I'm pushing the gas pedal and the car is not providing any power what so ever!! No warning messages showed up or anything. And BMW of north of America is refusing to qualify the car under lemon law.

Does anyone have any suggestions on what I should do about this?? I've already contacted a lemon law lawyer and I just want to get this done with because the car is not safe to be driven.