Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 F25 (2011 - current)

X3 F25 (2011 - current)
The latest X3 brings some added style and some new features to the BMW SUV family. Talk about the new F25 now!

Old 05-30-2012, 08:00 AM

Mein Auto: X3 35
Sapphire black X3 M Sport: black or aluminum roof rails???

Hello all:

Newbie here. I have a Sapphire Black/Oyster M Sport X3 35 on order (very excited!), and have a little dilemma.

When I gave the information to my service advisor, I ordered the M Sport package, which in my mind (and according to the X3 brochure) means that I'm supposed to get both the shadowline window trim and high-gloss black roof rails.

However, somewhere in the process, my order apparently came out saying that, in addition to the M Sport package, I also ordered aluminum satin roof rails. (I thought those only came with the X Sport package, but apparently they can be ordered as a separate item, even with an M Sport package). What's more, even though the website lists the car as still being in production, the service advisor is telling me that it's too late to change the order.

So, a couple of questions:

1. I've seen plenty of pictures of sapphire black M sport X3s with black rails. Does anyone have a picture of one (an M sport, please, so it has the shadowline window trim) with aluminum rails? Or, have you seen one and can you give me your opinion?

(As an aside, I think the issue here is that if the window trim and the roof rails match - either because they are both aluminum (like the X sport) or both black (M sport), that would look "right". I'm concerned about how it would look if they were different.)

2. I'm wondering how best to address this issue if I decide that I really want black rails. It seems to me that changing them out shouldn't take more than an hour or two, and that that should be something that the dealership service department ought to be willing to do (preferably at no cost to me) once the car arrives there. Any thoughts?

Many thanks!
Advertisement
Old 05-30-2012, 07:06 PM

Mein Auto: F30 328 F25 X35, W209 AMG
if the vehicle's in production it's too late to change the order, the satin roof rails on black m sport is not bad but I would rather the black since the window trim is black, but again there's few around. Personally I honestly believe your sales rep made a mistake, the same one my rep was about to do today, see what it will cost to switch maybe they can go halfers or even if any members here or on the post that would like to switch.
Old 05-31-2012, 06:41 AM
///Mpty pockets

Mein Auto: wankermatic
You signed a sales order - does it show the alu rail option? If yes, smack self in head. If no, then have the dealer correct their mistake.
Old 06-08-2012, 12:23 PM

Mein Auto: Black Sapphire X3 Msport
I attached an image of my X3. I added alu rails and alu trim to the M sport. However, without featuring the Hoffmeister kink, I think the styling features would get lost. You might simply ask the dealer to reorder.
Further, You can't even order alum rails to the M sport. I had to go alot out of my way to have a Business Analyst make the changes to this for me. So I don't know how this could have happened--even for just the rails.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0781.jpg
Views:	174
Size:	90.8 KB
ID:	328416  
Old 06-08-2012, 02:05 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2013 X3 35i
Ok this is like the third time in recent weeks on this forum that someone has reported the Satin rails getting mysteriously added in place of the Gloss Black on the M package. I would raise hell. Personally I think that silver looks weird when everything else is black and especially on your car where everything is black with black trim. On the one above the look balanced because of the same trim around the windows but without that it would be weird.

Also, to get an idea, do a BYO and select your color config and then add the Satin Aluminum rails under Options.
Old 06-08-2012, 02:08 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2013 X3 35i
Hmm, well I eat my words. I just went to BYO and selected the Saphire Black and added the Aluminum rails and I think they look awesome as they nicely complement and balance the wheels and the grill.
Old 06-08-2012, 02:19 PM

Mein Auto: Black Sapphire X3 Msport
My Owner's library "Wallpaper" actually provides me what you are looking for smallbiz. Alum rails and anodized trim.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	CosyVehicleImage.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	80.6 KB
ID:	328429  
Old 06-08-2012, 02:35 PM

Mein Auto: X3
Click on the "View My Garage" link to see my 2013 X3 35i M-Sport with Satin Roof Rails. I didn't specifically order them it just came with them, however maybe it's different for Canada than in the U.S.

Last edited by Norm50; 06-08-2012 at 02:46 PM.