Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E53 (1999 - 2006)

X5 E53 (1999 - 2006)
The X5 SAV Forum

Old 03-09-2004, 01:50 PM
Registered M User

Mein Auto: M Coupé '02 + X5 4.4i '04
Question Switching instrument cluster in 4.4 '04..?

I have an '04 model 4.4iA where I would like to upgrade the instrument cluster to the look of the 4.6iS/4.8iS -- or other "M-like" cluster... I am primarily looking for the four chromed rings, so I can settle for that, but it would be nice if one could also replace the whole display with the different typeface and layout of the 4.6iS or ///M type.

My dealer tells me the contacts from the 4.6iS cluster won't fit in the '04, and he is probably right about this. Just opting for the display and rings though would be quite expensive as one would have to buy the whole cluster as one single part to break down, so what I'm looking for is someone who sells either just the chromed rings (for a retrofit in the current cluster), or the rings along with the 4.6iS display (or if the display from the E46 M3 or E39 M5 will fit?).

(The reason I'm so picky about this tiny detail is that I also have an M Coupé and would like to have more similarity between in the "user interface" of the two cars (no, changing the M Coupé cluster instead is not an option :-).

Anyone else with an '04 model who has already stumbled over this..?
Advertisement
Old 03-10-2004, 01:10 AM
PR02ZAC do u need a lift

Send a message via Skype™ to swindonhost
Mein Auto: X5 2003 3.0D / others mad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emm
so what I'm looking for is someone who sells either just the chromed rings (for a retrofit in the current cluster), or the rings along with the 4.6iS display (or if the display from the E46 M3 or E39 M5 will fit?).

(The reason I'm so picky about this tiny detail is that I also have an M Coupé and would like to have more similarity between in the "user interface" of the two cars (no, changing the M Coupé cluster instead is not an option :-).

Anyone else with an '04 model who has already stumbled over this..?

In the UK you can get rings for retrofit, they are not BMW units but do the job. I'll hunt out a link and some prices for you.

Jon
2003- X5, 3.0D All options except, Adjustable rear seats and moving cargo platform.
Old 03-10-2004, 07:44 AM
Registered M User

Mein Auto: M Coupé '02 + X5 4.4i '04
Thanks, I'd appreciate that. I just found out from my BMW dealer that the part numbers for the '02 4.4i cluster and the '04 4.4i cluster are different -- which implies that the dealer was right in the first place, the 4.6iS cluster just won't fit the new '04 4.4i... Unless I can get hold of separate rings, I guess I'm stuck with the same old cluster until BMW releases the 4.8iS and one can order the 4.8iS cluster as a spare part... I'm surprised though that no one before me seems to have stumbled over this -- surely there must be other '04 4.4i owners who also want the M like gauges in their cluster??