Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > BMW Motorcycles (aka Beemers) and the Competition

BMW Motorcycles (aka Beemers) and the Competition
Have an interest in BMW motorcycles or just motorcycles in general? Discuss the line of BMW motorcycles and how they may compare to the rest of the competition in this forum!

Old 04-19-2011, 06:40 AM

Mein Auto: BMW G650 XCountry
Hi, Just joined to get in on this stalling problem. I commute every day on a 2008 XCountry mine very reliable, runs like a dream - however I run an aftermarket exhaust, a K&N filter and iridium spark plugs. I changed up the exhaust at 10K and the rest at 20,000 kilometres. Performance and fuel economy improved. Had the stall thing happen to me last year and again last week. I put it down to bad fuel, added a cup full of octane boost/injector cleaner and this fixed the problem on both occasions - also change garages thinking there's crap in their tanks.
If the stall thing happens to me, I'll take it to a dyna tuner and fit an after market ECU.
Old 04-21-2011, 10:36 PM

fuel

as they say "petrol ain't petrol" The thing that made me think I was on the right track is that the octane boost/injector cleaner just made the thing perform so much better. Big improvement in low end pull while the additive was in, could stay in top at 65kph - mmm - so when the pump says 98 what it means is chances are it might be 98 !
Old 04-23-2011, 07:55 AM

That doesn't make sense - high octane won't stop it from running. If the octane level is too low it will ping - that is - it will ignite on compression and cause the engine to stall at low revs. Stay with the 98, half the time I'm not sure that 98 is in fact 98.

I'm not up on the whole modern motorcycle engine thing - though I get the EMS is made up of oxygen sensor in the exhaust pipe and a temperature and rev monitor somewhere. The ECU gathers this info and controls the fuel injectors.

So if it runs well but won't idle, it is either air, fuel or electrical.

BTW - These black singles are built in China not Norway like the silver Rotex ones. My neighbour got a real lemon of a motor in his new G 650 GS and it took all manner of pain to get it right.

Last edited by Edd2; 04-23-2011 at 08:08 AM. Reason: had more to say
Old 04-23-2011, 07:46 PM

Just spoke to neighbour:

His bike had all sorts of issues as well as not idling, to the point - wouldn't idle - reason - loose tension on timing chain put the valve timing out just enough to stop it running at low revs.

This is a build quality issue !

Tell your mechanic !

Last edited by Edd2; 04-23-2011 at 09:52 PM.
Old 07-18-2011, 01:59 PM

Mein Auto: 08 Z4, 03 325xi, 10 335xi
I currently have my 2010 G650GS 3500miles in the shop for the same stalling problem.

The bike has been there over a week, the technician just started looking at the bike this morning and wasnt able to get it to stall, if they cant get it to happen, they arent going to do anything for me.

It started stalling on me last october, would randomly stall when coming to a stop light. Because it was intermittent, i didnt really want to waste the time sending it into the service department for something that intermittent.

Last thursday 7/7 on my way into work, It started stalling whenever i would pull the clutch in, or come to a stop. The first time that morning it happened, I was making a slow left hand turn, and almost lost the bike. I was able to get it started by giving it throttle and limping it into work.

I called roadside assistance by 9AM that morning, and they were unable to pick up the bike until 11AM the following morning, 26hrs (thank god i wasnt on the side of the road)

Because of the safety issue of the bike stalling in the middle of a turn, I wasnt going to attempt to ride it any further.

If they dont do anything to the bike to fix this condition, I will end up selling the bike, as my life is far more important than a machine

I only run Shell premium, and I routinely use the BMW fuel additive.
Old 07-18-2011, 08:11 PM

I noted that the stalling was in temps below 8C and it came with bouts of very high revs. My G650 has 25,000 Ks on it now, no problems and I only added the injector-cleaner/octane boost when I had a problem approx three times all up - So I'm sticking to the bad fuel/confused CPU theory - but it's just a theory (read the entire thread) If it becomes an issue for me I'd look at fitting an aftermarket CPU.
Old 07-22-2011, 07:56 PM

2 weeks today that the bike's at the dealer, still no word....
Old 07-31-2011, 11:45 AM

25 days today... still working on it.... The bike is a year old, and has been in the shop for almost a month in the middle of the already short riding season....
Old 08-19-2011, 06:38 PM

Update: Received the bike back after 42 days at the dealer... The same evening of picking it up, i went to start it, it would not idle, I had to hold the throttle open in order for it to run. I let it sit and then restarted it about a half hour later with no issue. I decided to ride it home, stalled 1 time, upon the next morning's ride into work, It wanted to stall at every stop, and would not idle. I had roadside pick up the bike, brought it back to the dealer, and they are telling me that there is nothing wrong with the bike. They are making me take the bike back. I contacted BMW about the situation, and they have not been of any help as of yet.
It qualifies as a lemon, and now will look into pursuing it as NY does cover motorcycles. Its a 2010, and only has 3700 miles.
Old 08-19-2011, 07:42 PM

I also had some stall issues last week when it was very cold. The CPU was making the mix way to rich and when it did idle is vamped badly regardless of engine temp, soon as the air temp warmed a little, thing ran just fine.

Bottom line, it is one of two things: Timing chain tensioner or CPU.

I'd just go fit an aftermarket CPU and be done with it.
Old 08-19-2011, 08:10 PM

The bike is under warranty, and its been in the 80F-85F (26-29C) range here. I can see how cold temperatures would cause it, but its def not cold. It almost seems like a sticking idle control valve (like in automobiles) but I'm not familiar with this motor to really know what/where everything is.

What aftermarket options do they have for computers?

In the 42 days that they had the bike, they did replace the crank sensor, and performed a software update
Old 08-19-2011, 09:16 PM

I find it hard to believe they had the bike for so long and can tell you there is nothing wrong with it and then it won't idle at all from moment 1. There is something a miss here ? Find an independent performance motorcycle tuner. They will be able to advise on where you can find an aftermarket CPU. I know this engine is a new Chinese version of the Rotex motor and there have been some lemons. However BMW in Aust. fixed them (see previous posts). There are a few 650 thumpers on the market so there must be a cpu that will have some adjustable mapping options so you can at the very least get the thing to idle.

Alternately call the BMW importer and tell them you are about to run a full page ad etc. They may put you onto another dealer who has a mechanic with a bigger brain.
Old 08-20-2011, 05:40 PM

sorry meant ECU not cpu
Old 08-20-2011, 08:52 PM

Mein Auto: BMW xcountry
xcountry stalling

The best advice I can give is sell the BMW and don't buy another one again. BMW are ignoring this problem and this is unethical in my opinion. BMW dealers just hand it back without doing anything. I sold mine for a massive loss and it is the best thing I ever did.
Old 09-25-2011, 11:13 PM

Mein Auto: G650 X Country
Talking What a awesome group of BMW peeps

Dear God, this forum is worrying me to f***
O sorry I'm new to this forum...
I currently bought a 2009 G 650 X country with only 180 miles on it. (purchased 09/09/11
I hope i don't come across this problem... i'm trying to prevent anything like this..
My questions are concerning it being sitting since 2009.. SO FAR i bought the stuff from BMW to:
- changed the oil,
- added fuel additive
and now am wondering is there a "bleed valve for the coolant(this is my next step to flush it)

After reading this forum im worried once i hit like 1k or 2k mark im going to have a stalling problem too!!! i just want to try and avoid it!
ANY OTHER TIPS : for having collected dust for 2 years would be awesome

Thanks
Adam

Last edited by Buckchote69; 09-25-2011 at 11:21 PM.
Old 09-26-2011, 02:20 AM

My Xcountry is coming up on 30K, 4 years, ride it everyday, not a worry, works like a dream, runs on the smell of an oily rag, goes like a missile to 80kph, round town it is seriously brilliant. Had stall issue twice, fuel additive fix it each time.
Old 09-30-2011, 11:07 AM

Mein Auto: G650 X Country
so i pretty much jinxd myself... today i pulled into 7-11 in first gear with the clutch in... then it stalled on me... it started right back up, then it happened again... Only when im in first not nuetral...i have a 09 G650 X country wit only 300 miles on it...
It was sitting for two years and recently changed the oil and yesterday changed the coolant... i filled up yesterday and forgot to put in more BMW fuel additive.. so
could the coolant exchange,
91 octane fuel fillup have anything to do with this...
I put the additive in and later today i will ride it to school to see if it stalls again... if it doesnt it might be the fuel...
ANY SUGGESTIONS, IDEAS, OR PERSONAL FIXES would be greatly appreciated
thanks
ADAM
Old 09-30-2011, 11:36 AM

I run 98 octane, always have, always will, BMW recommends min 95 octane. Anything that causes rough idle will stall a thumper.
Old 12-08-2011, 02:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckchote69 View Post
so i pretty much jinxd myself... today i pulled into 7-11 in first gear with the clutch in... then it stalled on me... it started right back up, then it happened again... Only when im in first not nuetral...i have a 09 G650 X country wit only 300 miles on it...
It was sitting for two years and recently changed the oil and yesterday changed the coolant... i filled up yesterday and forgot to put in more BMW fuel additive.. so
could the coolant exchange,
91 octane fuel fillup have anything to do with this...
I put the additive in and later today i will ride it to school to see if it stalls again... if it doesnt it might be the fuel...
ANY SUGGESTIONS, IDEAS, OR PERSONAL FIXES would be greatly appreciated
thanks
ADAM
Was talking to a gent who just happened to have managed the service department at BMW bike service center and he told me something very interesting about the Rotex 650 single motor. The new Chinese copy is pretty well identical.

"IF THERE IS NO SLACK IN THE THROTTLE CABLE THE SERVO THAT CONTROLS THE IDLE GETS OUT OF WACK CAUSING COUGH STALLING, HIGH IDLE REVS OR JUST PLAN NO IDLE."

MMMMMMM SOMETHING TO CONSIDER !
Old 06-10-2012, 01:50 PM

Mein Auto: G650xmoto
Hey guys,
I have an 07 XMoto that used to have stalling issues. I now have 15000 miles with no problems. The triumph 12 minute tune up did the job for me. Let the bike idle until the fan turns on. If it stalls before it warms up, just restart it. Once the fan comes on, let it idle for 12 minutes without touching it. Shut it off and ride. Did the trick for me by relearning its closed loop fuel table...just like my mustang.

Have fun, it's a wickedly fun bike.