Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E36 (1991 - 1999)

E36 (1991 - 1999)
The E36 chassis 3-Series BMW was a huge hit among driving enthusiasts from the first moment the car hit the pavement. The E36 won numerous awards over the years it was produced and is still a favorite of many BMW enthusiasts to this day! -- View the E36 Wiki

Old 06-11-2012, 01:03 AM

Mein Auto: bmw e30 cabriolet/bmw e36
Angry have i lost my engine ?

hi,
this is a rather serious problem in my eyes i was driving my e36 home from work and hit traffic, As i hit the traffic my temp flew out of control at the start as i noticed it i had feelings that the thermostat had packed up and left the engine so stopped to cool for a while, but as i continued to drive home the temp steadied its self and car was running beautifully and then from out of no where pop i blew a spark plug straight out of the cylinder looked in to getting a helicoil any ideas.

and as for the overheating thought it may have been the viscuc fan but that works fine so going to change the plastic blade impellor water pump for a newer metal version
Ads by Google
Old 06-11-2012, 01:06 AM
Please, call me Brian.

Mein Auto: 1998 323is
That post kind of hurt my head...

So it overheated, then returned to normal, then blew a spark plug out of the cylinder?
Old 06-11-2012, 01:25 AM

yes mate the engine rapidly over heated then returned to normal and the blew a spark plug out of the cyclinder
Old 06-11-2012, 01:31 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: Supercharged E34 540i6
Do a leak down test, or get a mechanic to do it. M50's don't react well to being overheated
Old 06-11-2012, 01:39 AM

ok will do that and the compression test have a new metal impellor water pump ready to fit any way so may aswell do that for the long run
Old 06-11-2012, 01:47 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: Supercharged E34 540i6
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_e30 View Post
ok will do that and the compression test have a new metal impellor water pump ready to fit any way so may aswell do that for the long run
Good luck man, btw much respect for the job you do. That's exactly what I'm studying for right now.
Old 06-11-2012, 01:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmellios16 View Post
Good luck man, btw much respect for the job you do. That's exactly what I'm studying for right now.
good luck dude ive been doing it for five years on my 21st birthday so its pretty good give a very good understanding of engine works but bmw restoration is my passion