Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > M Series > E90/E92/E93 M3 (2008 - 2014)

E90/E92/E93 M3 (2008 - 2014)
4th generation E90 M3 sedan, E92 M3 coupe and E93 M3 convertible. The last of the naturally aspirated M3s, powered by a 4.0 liter V8 making 414hp and 295 lb-ft of torque.

Old 06-10-2012, 03:56 PM

Mein Auto: N/A
quick question, 18" v 19" wheels?

I am looking to purchase a 2010 M3 with 18" wheels, and I'm not really a big fan of them...I really like the 19" wheels.

Can I simply purchase the 19" at a later time and put 'em on the car?

Is there any difference between the M's that come with 19" wheels, besides the obvious wheel size/look? (Is the car any lower to the ground, etc..)

Thanks!
Advertisement
Old 06-10-2012, 04:15 PM

I tried to built out a new M3, and I see that they have the "Competition Package", which includes the 19" wheels...it says it is 10mm lowered, too.

But on the "OPTIONS" page, one can add just the EDC and the 19" wheels...is that the same thing as competition package?

Did M3 offer this "Competition Package" on all years/models?
Old 06-10-2012, 06:49 PM
MPowered RPh

Mein Auto: '11 M3 Comp & '12 528Xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by chibmw View Post
I tried to built out a new M3, and I see that they have the "Competition Package", which includes the 19" wheels...it says it is 10mm lowered, too.

But on the "OPTIONS" page, one can add just the EDC and the 19" wheels...is that the same thing as competition package?

Did M3 offer this "Competition Package" on all years/models?
Yes, you can upgrade to 19" rims whenever...however, you'll loose the slightly wider rear stance and wider tires.

1. No - Close but no - there is also different EDC Mapping and wider rear end (not by much) and wider tires. In my M3, with EDC at Sport, the ride is rather harsh, but it seems to handle just a bit better - could be just a placebo effect. I CAN notice a difference between Soft (which I think is the standard setting) and Sport. I can't quite tell the difference with Normal..

2. No - started in 2011 (coulda been late 2010)

The 10mm lowering is a bit of a head scratcher visually...I did an ED last September and the next car over was a M3 Cab...mine didn't appear to be much lower...However, I can tell you, that you will scrape the felt on steep inclines if you take them head on. - I have. I wouldn't delete the Comp Package but that's my own personal opinion - Plus the 19" rims would come close to the price of the Comp Package.

Top Gear's JC reviewed a Competition Package equipped M3 and hated it... something to the effect "you spend 3000 pounds more for a car that drives worse." (I only agree with him on the Auto/Start Stop)

Mike

'12 528i xDrive/Mohave/Beige/Premium/gadgets

'11 M3 - Coupe/Space Gray/Black/Aluminum/Comp/Conv/Cold/Prem2/CF all around
Old 06-10-2012, 07:59 PM

So Mike, if I understand correctly....18" wheels are same size all around...and 19" competition package wheels are wider in the back?

If I just get the 19" wheels...then I should get the same wider back effect, right?

...The only real difference between getting EDC + 19" and getting the Comp Package seems to be that different EDC mapping, right? (and it costs $300 more for that, so it is worth it probably).

I am looking at used M3's, and I there are a lot of them with 18" and 19" wheels. I prefer the 19", but if the price with the 18" is much lower, I'm thinking of getting the 18" one and then upgrading the wheels. I just wanted to make sure that there is no significant difference between the two (like different breaks, rotors, suspension, etc).

From what you said, it seems that 19" are wider in the back, and 18" are same width all around. If both cars have EDC and are 2009, then there shouldn't be any difference than the tire size.

Am I correct, hah?
Old 06-10-2012, 08:00 PM

Oh, I just read that the end is wider also...The $2,500 competition package really gets you a wider end? Wow.

But since I'm only looking at 2009/2010 models...they are all the same in the back, right? None have a wider end?
Old 06-10-2012, 08:07 PM

What is this car missing? http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2010-...#ht_500wt_1182

Anything besides the 19" wheels? If I were to upgrade the wheels on it...would it be "fully loaded" engine performance/suspension/braking wise? I don't care much for the interior stuff like premium sound and stuff.

I'm considering that above car and this one: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2009-...item3a754cbd24

And I'm trying to figure out if there is anything but the rims different on them...Does having all three buttons next to the shift knob means all of the options are installed in the car?

Last edited by chibmw; 06-10-2012 at 08:11 PM.
Old 06-11-2012, 01:29 AM
Fight On!

Mein Auto: BMW M3, Z4 M Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by chibmw View Post
What is this car missing? http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2010-...#ht_500wt_1182

Anything besides the 19" wheels? If I were to upgrade the wheels on it...would it be "fully loaded" engine performance/suspension/braking wise? I don't care much for the interior stuff like premium sound and stuff.

I'm considering that above car and this one: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2009-...item3a754cbd24

And I'm trying to figure out if there is anything but the rims different on them...Does having all three buttons next to the shift knob means all of the options are installed in the car?
First off, I hope you aren't seriously considering to purchase a $50k car off eBay. The "vehicle history" may not be accurate, and you (and a trusted BMW technician) will want to inspect the car thoroughly, especially for the M models.

Secondly, I don't know why you care so much it's "fully loaded". If you don't know what you are missing, does it really matter? What do you want to make sure you get?

Lastly, the 18" vs 19" arguments are mostly cosmetic (i.e. there is little perceivable performance advantage or disadvantage). The 19" wheels are forged (vs. cast) but it'll also give you a slightly harsher ride.

BMW CCA Member #xx4477
2006 Z4 M Coupe (e86) 6MT
2013 M3 Coupe (e92) 6MT
Old 06-11-2012, 10:51 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: Mostly Euro sedans
I wouldn't have a concern buying a car on eBay. I would have a concern buying ANY car without a qualified inspection (in my case I'd only buy it from a BMW dealer and I'd ask them to do the one to see if the car can qualify for CPO program.)

Last summer while I was on the fence about a M5 vs M3 decision I found a few good used candidates in the Dallas, Chicago, Atlanta, Miami, and NoCal areas. Found them all online (a few on sites less known than eBay) but was able to check them all out in person due to heavy business travel schedule. CarFax certainly helped narrow things down a bit but in the end I wouldn't buy before you try regardless of how good something looks on any online site (including BMW's CPO site.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by enigma View Post
First off, I hope you aren't seriously considering to purchase a $50k car off eBay. The "vehicle history" may not be accurate, and you (and a trusted BMW technician) will want to inspect the car thoroughly, especially for the M models.

Secondly, I don't know why you care so much it's "fully loaded". If you don't know what you are missing, does it really matter? What do you want to make sure you get?

Lastly, the 18" vs 19" arguments are mostly cosmetic (i.e. there is little perceivable performance advantage or disadvantage). The 19" wheels are forged (vs. cast) but it'll also give you a slightly harsher ride.