Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)

X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)
Talk about the E83 BMW X3 in this forum!

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-11-2012, 10:57 AM

Mein Auto: 05' X3
X3 Likely Totaled :-( (questions)

This past weekend I went to a wedding out of town and as I was leaving the long term parking ramp at the airport returning a person blew through a stop sign at about 30mph and nailed the passenger front panel causing major damage to the hood, wheels, bumper ect…. My car is a 05’ with 103K miles and is (was) in great shape but the airbag did deploy, the front end has major issues and the car seemed to have a transmission issue as we tried to get it out of park to get it towed, so I am planning on a total. The other persons insurance will likely eventually cover everything but it is still rough as the car seemed to have lots of life left and I was considering keeping for the duration. I just had a few quick questions regarding the process as I am new to it:

1) When the adjuster comes to look at the car, how can I have someone inspect the vehicle checking for things like drive-train and not just cosmetic damage that an insurance agent specializes in? I have been going to an awesome indy shop for years and they to mechanical but not body work, could I somehow have them check it out to find all the true issues rather than just have a body shop guy try to determine that? I was also considering having it towed to a dealer next as their mechanics could also make a good assessment but I have no relationship with the local dealership and with the way they often estimate charges for things I am 100% that would turn it into a total.

2) I have all the service/preventive maintenance records and just bought new tires a couple weeks ago. Can things like that typically be submitted to the adjuster to be considered in determining the value of the car?

3) I am aware that the value of the total is supposed to be the actual cash value? From what I understand that is supposed to be more than a trade in value but less than the retail value. I was wondering if it tends to be closer though to retail then trade value or vice versa as that is normally a pretty wide range.

Thanks!
Ads by Google