Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > Welcome to Bimmerfest > BMW News Articles and Announcements

BMW News Articles and Announcements
Read the latest BMW headlines and discuss them with your fellow bimmer enthusiasts!

Old 06-13-2012, 01:06 PM   #1
BMW i Pedelec Concept - BMW's Hybrid Pedal / Electric Powered Bicycle

tim330i
Administrator

Show Printable Version Email this Page

Advertisement
posted by tim330i

BMW i Pedelec - Pedal Electric Cycle

BMW i has come up with an innovative two-wheeler, which acts as the perfect complement to the BMW i3 Concept and adds a new and convenient layer to personal mobility, particularly in urban areas. The new BMW i Pedelec (Pedal Electric Cycle) Concept is a compact bicycle fitted with an electric motor that tops up the rider's muscle power with an extra dose of torque. And that means the rider can get to other parts of town even more quickly and effortlessly and without breaking into a sweat. The BMW i Pedelec Concept can be folded up almost in the blink of an eye and, handily, there is room for two of them in the boot of the BMW i3 Concept. Plus, their batteries can be recharged while they're in there.

Like the BMW i3, the BMW i Pedelec Concept is a thoroughly high-tech form of personal transport. Advanced componentry such as disc brakes at the front and rear, a three-speed gear hub integrated into the motor, a lightweight frame made (like the BMW i3 Concept) from aluminum and carbon fiber, a torquey electric motor complete with electronic management system and high-performance battery, and a clever folding mechanism make this motor-assisted bicycle an extremely practical transportation solution. As well as its impressive riding and packing characteristics, the BMW i Pedelec Concept can also be converted in a matter of seconds to offer a handy pushing mode, which allows it to be rolled and steered and therefore taken on public transport at no extra cost, saving the rider the effort of having to carry it around.

BMW electric bike

Because the electric hub motor only assists the rider's pedaling up to 25 km/h (16 mph), the BMW i Pedelec Concept does not need to be insured or registered, no license is required to use it, and the rider does not have to wear a helmet. Depending on the nature of the route, rider's weight and degree of motor assistance utilized, a full battery charge will give a range of 16 25 miles. Under braking and when riding downhill, the hub motor acts as a generator and supplies the battery with energy. It takes just four hours or 1.5 hours on a quick charge for the empty battery to be fully recharged, either from a domestic plug socket or inside the boot of the BMW i3 Concept.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	BMW-i-Pedelec_1.jpg
Views:	1201
Size:	181.5 KB
ID:	329092   Click image for larger version

Name:	BMW-i-Pedelec_2.jpg
Views:	647
Size:	189.9 KB
ID:	329093   Click image for larger version

Name:	BMW-i-Pedelec_3.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	267.7 KB
ID:	329094   Click image for larger version

Name:	BMW-i-Pedelec_4.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	86.7 KB
ID:	329095  

Last edited by tim330i; 06-13-2012 at 01:23 PM..
This article has been viewed 5652 times.