Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > Z Series > E89 Z4 (2009 - current)

E89 Z4 (2009 - current)

Old 08-07-2011, 05:30 AM

Mein Auto: Z4 3.5is
Armrest storage area really hot?

Has anyone else found that the armrest storage area gets quite hot? I'd thought it was my iPhone, but finally realized that it's the storage area that's getting really hot and making my iPhone hot (which isn't a good thing). Is this normal?
Ads by Google
Old 08-07-2011, 07:24 AM

Mein Auto: 2010 Z4 35i
I have not noticed that at all. I do alot of top down driving and my armrest is not hot at all.

2006 Z4 30i - Monaco Blue, beige leather
2003 Z4 2.5- Sterling Gray, black leather
1998 Z3 2.8 - Bright Red, black leather
Old 08-07-2011, 07:55 AM

Mein Auto: Z4 3.5is
Thanks. It's not from the sun as the top of the armrest isn't hot but the inside of the storage compartment gets hot if the car's been running for a bit, and that's the same whether the top is up or down. I'll mention it to the dealer when I'm in for service in a couple of weeks. I'd expected the E89 Z4 to have much better reliability than my 2001 Z3, but it definitely isn't shaping that way. The windows keep going down when rolled up, despite multiple resets (there's a service bulletin for it, but my dealer didn't have the part in stock), the center console storage area is quite hot (which may or may not have been the cause of my iPhone dying), and my gas mileage has declined by 33% since I bought the car. And that's all in 10 weeks of ownership.
Old 08-07-2011, 01:09 PM

Mein Auto: z4sdrive35i
just back from a 3000 miles trip always have my right arm on the armrest and never felt it was hot.
Old 08-08-2011, 11:45 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2011 Z4 35i
I too noticed it was really hot. Thought it was iPhone 4 in the Media Snap-in adapter. Will check it out removing the Media Snap-in and iPhone 4.
2011 BMW Z4 sDrive 35i * Titanium Silver Metallic * Black Kansas Leather * Cold Weather Package * Premium Package * Premium Sound Package * 7-Speed Double Clutch Transmission * Style 293 Wheels * Navigation System * BMW Apps * European Delivery * Performance Center Delivery * Joy Unlimited !
Old 08-09-2011, 08:19 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 BMW Z4
Is your phone in a case? If so try removing phone from case and see if that helps.
Old 08-09-2011, 02:07 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 Z4 35i, 2006 525xi
Concerning your comment on the windows reopening after closing them, BMW has definitely issued a service notice on that and will install a relay to slightly delay the rear windows from closing. This will prevent actuation of the pinch protection feature that's causing the front windows to reopen. I just had this done and it works well now.

2012 Z4 35i, ED 2/24/12, Melbourne Red Metallic, Black leather, 6 MT, ///M Sport, Premium Package, Premium Sound Package, Cold Weather Package, Nav, Comfort Access, LED Angel Eyes, BMWPedals pedal covers, stubby antenna, Luxon strut bar, CF engine cover, LCI side marker, powder coated calipers, Extra Enjoyment Package
Old 08-14-2011, 03:00 PM
Viv1

Mein Auto: Twin Turbo 3er
I'm not sure if the Z4 has it, but the 3 series has a ventilated armrest compartment, so if the heater is on it can get that compartment very warm. There is a small 0-1 switch by which you can turn the ventilation off.
Old 08-18-2011, 12:14 PM

Mein Auto: 2009 335i x-drive
Thumbs down Too Hot

Can you tell me where that switch is located?
Old 08-19-2011, 02:10 PM
Viv1

Mein Auto: Twin Turbo 3er
This is the only pic I could find on the net... the vertical black arrow points to the switch and the horizontal arrow to the vent
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	switch.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	15.7 KB
ID:	289756  
Old 08-19-2011, 06:36 PM

Mein Auto: USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by jparnes1 View Post
Concerning your comment on the windows reopening after closing them, BMW has definitely issued a service notice on that and will install a relay to slightly delay the rear windows from closing. This will prevent actuation of the pinch protection feature that's causing the front windows to reopen. I just had this done and it works well now.
I had that issue, Fixed by adding the relay by my dealer and no problem since..
Old 08-19-2011, 06:37 PM

Mein Auto: USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by vivek_v_rane View Post
I'm not sure if the Z4 has it, but the 3 series has a ventilated armrest compartment, so if the heater is on it can get that compartment very warm. There is a small 0-1 switch by which you can turn the ventilation off.
Z4 doesn't have this option....
Old 06-14-2012, 11:35 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 Z4 35i
I thought the mini-fan in the snap-in is not working and bought another snap-in. Same issue. iPhone gets really hot.
2011 BMW Z4 sDrive 35i * Titanium Silver Metallic * Black Kansas Leather * Cold Weather Package * Premium Package * Premium Sound Package * 7-Speed Double Clutch Transmission * Style 293 Wheels * Navigation System * BMW Apps * European Delivery * Performance Center Delivery * Joy Unlimited !