Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > The Best of Bimmerfest! > European Delivery

European Delivery
The place to share your experiences and tips related to "ED"... View the ED Wiki -- View the Pick-Up Date Calendar -- Add Your Pick-Up Date to the Calendar

Old 06-05-2012, 02:50 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: ED 330i
Having been to both I would definitely choose Lake Como over Lindau. We stayed in Como when we did ED 6 years ago and it was by far my favorite place on the entire 2-week journey, which included Venice and Kitzbuhel. Lake Como is just incredibly beautiful and the roads provide for a good drive, even in February. Bellagio is stunning but a bit pricey. Had no problem finding street parking in Como, though you have to feed the meters during the day (not a problem if you are out driving ) Would not hesitate to drive to Bellagio again though the road is narrow.

Too bad about Lufthansa, they would not be my first choice anyway as the business class seats are not 180-degree horizontal lie-flat. United is a better choice, even in economy as you can buy additional legroom in economy plus for a modest upcharge. $1100pp seems a bit steep and CLT is a bit out-of-the-way but I get there's more peace of mind locking in now.

Last edited by Boraxo; 06-05-2012 at 02:51 PM.
Old 06-05-2012, 03:58 PM
Aviator

Mein Auto: BMWs
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trinitony View Post

By the way I consider a 20% accident rate quite high even if the one incident is the loss of a mirror.
I concur I was upset when it happened but the BMW VDC replaced the scarred mirror before the car was re-delivered to me, and I had the immense pleasure of driving the 650 al fresco on both the West and East sides of Lago di Como...in daylight. Night time is for vino rosso

To me it's risk management. If you are really concerned about your new car being damaged have it trucked from the Welt directly to LogInOut....and then have some clown back into it while parked at the Home Depot. I ride motorcycles and fly airplanes; a memorable drive along one of the most beautiful lakes in the world is a no-brainer for me.

Dick

...and a bunch of old English motorcycles

Last edited by dkreidel; 06-05-2012 at 09:32 PM.
Old 06-05-2012, 09:04 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 Z4 35i
Quote:
Originally Posted by pawarrant View Post
Now the hard part comes...booking the hotels for my first trip to Europe!
At that time of year you really don't need to book rooms in advance, unless you have some absolute must stay at locations.

HerrK - Keine Eifelfahrt ohne eine Runde über den Nürburgring

May 2010 ED l 2011 35i l Crimson over Ext'd Coral Red w/brushed Alum l 6sp MT l Prem Sound l Sport Pack l 296's l Comfort Access l Alarm l Power Heated Seats l & Nav.
FrauK - 2014 Q5 TDI - May 2014 ED | Cuvée Silver over Pistachio beige | Premim Plus | MMI | Nav | B&O
Old 06-06-2012, 08:22 AM
SECDEF

Mein Auto: 2009 328xi Montego Blue
Quote:
Originally Posted by HerrK View Post
At that time of year you really don't need to book rooms in advance, unless you have some absolute must stay at locations.
Maybe I shall rephrase...Now comes the hard part, deciding what hotels to stay at!
Old 06-06-2012, 11:20 AM

Send a message via AIM to vern
Mein Auto: 01 330ci 05 530i 06 X3
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkreidel View Post
I concur I was upset when it happened but the BMW VDC replaced the scarred mirror before the car was re-delivered to me, and I had the immense pleasure of driving the 650 al fresco on both the West and East sides of Lago di Como...in daylight. Night time is for vino rosso

To me it's risk management. If you are really concerned about your new car being damaged have it trucked from the Welt directly to LogInOut....and then have some clown back into it while parked at the Home Depot. I ride motorcycles and fly airplanes; a memorable drive along one of the most beautiful lakes in the world is a no-brainer for me.

Dick
Maybe I'm a little dense but what has "ride motorcycles and fly airplanes" got to do with lake Como?
cheers
vern
2012 335iA Blk. Sapphire- Sport-Blk. Dakota Leather/Red-Brushed Alum.Trim-DAP-PP-CWP Rear View Camera-BMW Asst w/Enhanced BT&USB-High Gloss Blk.Trim Hghight-PSP-Speed Limit Info-Tech. Pkg-PDC-Rear Manual Sun Shades-SAT-Variable Sport Steering-Wheel Locks- Rubber Mats-Euro Del 5/14/12-Redelivery 7/16/12 2006 X3 3.0iA 4/6 Silver Gray Metallic-Black Leather-Nav-PP-SP-Xenon Headlights-PDC-Heated Front Seats-Privacy Glass-Servotronic Steering-Premium Sound System-R R R- Wheel Locks- Rubber Mats
Old 06-14-2012, 09:45 PM
SECDEF

I just booked my stay at Lake Como for September 18-20 at the Albergo Lenno. Thanks for everyone's input!
Old 07-12-2012, 10:53 AM

Mein Auto: BMW 328cic and Mercedes
Ride motorcycles: Motoguzzi is made on Lake Como.
Fly airplanes: there is a sea plane base in Como.

eek! She's home! In my garage!

Hannah Belle crosses the Alps - the photos

Hannah Belle crosses the Alps - the blog
Old 07-12-2012, 11:58 AM
SECDEF

Quote:
Originally Posted by skywalkerbeth View Post
Fly airplanes: there is a sea plane base in Como.
That sounds fun!
Old 07-15-2012, 10:05 PM

Mein Auto: '13 328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by skywalkerbeth View Post
I just got back from Italy recently.

It was our trip number four to Lake Como, and first visit to Lake Garda. I wrote some impressions down, here they are. As mentioned, we drove the ENTIRE perimeter of Lake Garda one day. I can attest that it is much less white knuckle than Lake Como.

skywalkerbeth,
If you were to drive south from Riva Del Garda to Sirmione, which side would you pick, the west or east shore?
Old 07-19-2012, 04:53 PM

Mein Auto: BMW 328cic and Mercedes
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlukja View Post
skywalkerbeth,
If you were to drive south from Riva Del Garda to Sirmione, which side would you pick, the west or east shore?
Hi

Sorry I don't check in as much as I should! Here is what I emailed you, for the benefit of others:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlukja
I posted this question in thread but I don't think you saw it.
If you were to drive south from Riva Del Garda to Sirmione, which side of Lake Garda would you pick, the west or east shore?

Hi

The western shore has two things that were really cool:

*Limone sul Garda - beautiful village! We didn't get to spend much time there, we spent most of it waiting for the Giro to start, but I could tell I would like to go back. It seemed more "Italian" than the eastern side, too. Malcesine seemed somewhat Germanic.

*Il Vittoriale, which was where Gabriele d'Annunzio lived (WWI Italian hero, friend of Mussolini). You have GOT to see this place. It has been called a Fascist Lunapark. The guy was very rich and very eccentric.

http://www.vittoriale.it/index.php?lingua=en

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vittoriale_degli_italiani

The eastern side was where we stayed (Malcesine) and I quite liked that little town. Also you could take the cable car to the top of Monte Baldo. But just my little time in Limone intrigued me! My Mom enjoyed it too.

I will post this on your thread when I find it...

eek! She's home! In my garage!

Hannah Belle crosses the Alps - the photos

Hannah Belle crosses the Alps - the blog
Old 07-19-2012, 06:12 PM

Mein Auto: 328xiT & M roadster
I agree on west side, especially with a visit to Il Vittoriale. There is nothing like it. Also plan a stop in Salo, a picturesque lakeside town with an interesting WWII history.
Recent ED: 25 June 10, 328xiT in Red. Then headed SW to Italy & France. Flew home via Rome. Hoegh Kobe departed 22 July; unloaded at PH 17 Aug. Redelivery 11 Sept. (Re-redelivery 14 Sept....read the details here.)
Previous ED: 7 June 08, X3 3.0si in rosso corsa (*), then off to Italy, Austria, Slovenia. (*Note: A61 Crimson Red north of the Alps.)
Back-up vehicle (while waiting for re-deliveries): 1999 M Roadster in Estoril Blue.
Old 07-19-2012, 07:58 PM

Mein Auto: '13 328i
Thank you very much for the PM and for the post.
Old 07-20-2012, 12:18 AM

Mein Auto: '91 e34 535i, 2012 M3 Cab
I only did the west side, so I'm certainly not as authoritative as some here, but I definitely agree with the recommendations-- I loved my drive, even very, very off-season (Jan.), with most things pretty closed up (including pretty much the entire town of Limone-- completely abandoned when I was there.)

I also would possibly recommend this very, very cute and scenic place where I stayed for a couple of nights:
http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Rev..._Lombardy.html

view from/near Villa Sostaga:
Untitled

Last edited by Jon90; 07-20-2012 at 12:33 AM.