Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)

F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)
The new chapter in the highly successful story of the BMW 5 Series Sedan (F10) and wagon (F11)

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 06-15-2012, 09:32 AM
RajG's Avatar
RajG RajG is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Northern NJ
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 395
Mein Auto: '14 M5 CP
Track run #2: 1/4 mile times w/ Stage III

After a chat with Dinan, they recommended that I install the Stage 3 software - which I went ahead and did the same day I initially thought I would only benefit from the software upgrade if I had the Dinan exhaust, but they explained that the upgrade would benefit all cars with better airflow including mine which doesn't have any mufflers. With the Stage 3 software in place, I decided to hit the track again to compare how my car did with my Stage 2 run last month . . .

Compared to the Stage 2 software, I definitely noticed improvements. I consistently hit 110+MPH which was something I was having trouble doing before. The results from my 1st run last month and my most recent run are below. Overall, my times are still weaker than other people that have hit the track with Stage 2/3 which I'm thinking is primarily related to my troubles getting off the line when the light turns green What'd you guys think?

Raj
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Track Times.JPG
Views:	451
Size:	68.5 KB
ID:	329324  
__________________

'14 M5 CP
Black Sapphire | Black | Executive | Lighting | B&O | Exhaust Meister | 35% Llumar tint | Passport 9500ix

'13 X5 50i M Sport
Carbon Black | Black | M Perf | 20" 333M | Lux Seat | Active | Adaptive | Cold | Tech | Sound | Prem 2 | Apps
Black kidneys | 35% Llumar tint | Passport 9500ix

Retired:
'12 550xi, '11 335xis, '11 X5 50i, '08 BMW 535i, '08 BMW 335xic, '05 Audi S4, '02 Audi TT Coupe
Reply With Quote
Advertisement
  #2  
Old 06-15-2012, 09:38 AM
alextremo alextremo is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Boston
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 253
Mein Auto: F10 550i
For some reason your 60' times are really slow compared to other xdrives. Something going on in your launch that's holding you back...
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 06-15-2012, 10:15 AM
RajG's Avatar
RajG RajG is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Northern NJ
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 395
Mein Auto: '14 M5 CP
Agreed. I need to take someone more experienced with me to the track to do the times. Any volunteers? This way I can compare that to my times to see if it's something with the car or me. Hopefully it's me and my lack of experience.

Raj
__________________

'14 M5 CP
Black Sapphire | Black | Executive | Lighting | B&O | Exhaust Meister | 35% Llumar tint | Passport 9500ix

'13 X5 50i M Sport
Carbon Black | Black | M Perf | 20" 333M | Lux Seat | Active | Adaptive | Cold | Tech | Sound | Prem 2 | Apps
Black kidneys | 35% Llumar tint | Passport 9500ix

Retired:
'12 550xi, '11 335xis, '11 X5 50i, '08 BMW 535i, '08 BMW 335xic, '05 Audi S4, '02 Audi TT Coupe
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 06-15-2012, 05:43 PM
DerStig DerStig is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: East
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 443
Mein Auto: 2015 F80 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by RajG View Post
Agreed. I need to take someone more experienced with me to the track to do the times. Any volunteers? This way I can compare that to my times to see if it's something with the car or me. Hopefully it's me and my lack of experience.

Raj
What track are you going and how are you able to go there whenever you want unless you are very rich? Last I checked you had to pay hefty fees, get your brake fluids and things changed and get insurance, all around $400-500/day (not to mention the membership fees, etc).
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 06-15-2012, 06:04 PM
Emilner Emilner is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: LI, NY
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 1,316
Mein Auto: 2013 SL63
Quote:
Originally Posted by DerStig View Post
What track are you going and how are you able to go there whenever you want unless you are very rich? Last I checked you had to pay hefty fees, get your brake fluids and things changed and get insurance, all around $400-500/day (not to mention the membership fees, etc).
Huh?



On Topic- how are you staging the car? Are you power braking, letting the tranny shift or manually shifting, what mode are you in? Your times are 1/2 sec off the mark.
__________________


2015 S550 Anthracite blue, Silk, loaded and doin just fine...
2013 SL63 AMG black....
2012 750IL x drive, imperial blue/oyster, a finely loaded beater car...
2014 GL350 loaded for the wifey...
2012 650 Cabriolet M sport (gone)
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 06-15-2012, 06:36 PM
dunderhi's Avatar
dunderhi dunderhi is offline
0-60 in 4 secs or less!
Location: MD
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 5,862
Mein Auto: '13 X5M, 650xi
If you can get you 60' down to 1.8 sec, you should hit 12.5 secs. I guess you need to creep slowly until the second light and then stop immediately. That will give you a one foot rollout. After that, maybe try power braking. You'll get there.
__________________


2013 X5M ........ 2013 650xi ...... 2011 550xi (ret) 2011 335d (ret)
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 06-16-2012, 04:59 PM
jnkirk1974 jnkirk1974 is offline
Registered User
Location: Rockwall, Texas
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 64
Mein Auto: 2011 550i (Dinan Stage 2)
For those of us that are dumb (me), how does this translate into 0-60 times? This is my only point reference that I can understand.
I've yet to hear stage 3 0-60 times. I have the stage 3 with eisenmann race exhaust.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 06-16-2012, 05:27 PM
RajG's Avatar
RajG RajG is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Northern NJ
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 395
Mein Auto: '14 M5 CP
Quote:
Originally Posted by DerStig View Post
What track are you going and how are you able to go there whenever you want unless you are very rich? Last I checked you had to pay hefty fees, get your brake fluids and things changed and get insurance, all around $400-500/day (not to mention the membership fees, etc).
I go to Englishtown raceway in NJ. They charge $28 for 3 runs during their Test and Tune nights on Wednesdays. If they're not too busy, then they'll let you run as many times as you want for the $28. I assume most tracks have similar options.

Raj
__________________

'14 M5 CP
Black Sapphire | Black | Executive | Lighting | B&O | Exhaust Meister | 35% Llumar tint | Passport 9500ix

'13 X5 50i M Sport
Carbon Black | Black | M Perf | 20" 333M | Lux Seat | Active | Adaptive | Cold | Tech | Sound | Prem 2 | Apps
Black kidneys | 35% Llumar tint | Passport 9500ix

Retired:
'12 550xi, '11 335xis, '11 X5 50i, '08 BMW 535i, '08 BMW 335xic, '05 Audi S4, '02 Audi TT Coupe
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 06-16-2012, 05:28 PM
RajG's Avatar
RajG RajG is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Northern NJ
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 395
Mein Auto: '14 M5 CP
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunderhi View Post
If you can get you 60' down to 1.8 sec, you should hit 12.5 secs. I guess you need to creep slowly until the second light and then stop immediately. That will give you a one foot rollout. After that, maybe try power braking. You'll get there.
I tried power braking a couple of times, but I jumped too early then let off the gas and then floored it. It's all about timing that's for sure. Hopefully people don't think it's easy cause I don't think it is at all.

Raj
__________________

'14 M5 CP
Black Sapphire | Black | Executive | Lighting | B&O | Exhaust Meister | 35% Llumar tint | Passport 9500ix

'13 X5 50i M Sport
Carbon Black | Black | M Perf | 20" 333M | Lux Seat | Active | Adaptive | Cold | Tech | Sound | Prem 2 | Apps
Black kidneys | 35% Llumar tint | Passport 9500ix

Retired:
'12 550xi, '11 335xis, '11 X5 50i, '08 BMW 535i, '08 BMW 335xic, '05 Audi S4, '02 Audi TT Coupe
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 06-16-2012, 05:30 PM
RajG's Avatar
RajG RajG is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Northern NJ
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 395
Mein Auto: '14 M5 CP
Quote:
Originally Posted by jnkirk1974 View Post
For those of us that are dumb (me), how does this translate into 0-60 times? This is my only point reference that I can understand.
I've yet to hear stage 3 0-60 times. I have the stage 3 with eisenmann race exhaust.
I have no idea about the 0-60 times. My guess is that it would be in the 4.3 - 4.4 second range, but that's only a guess. I used to have a G-Tech that could measure it, but I can't seem to find it anymore.

Raj
__________________

'14 M5 CP
Black Sapphire | Black | Executive | Lighting | B&O | Exhaust Meister | 35% Llumar tint | Passport 9500ix

'13 X5 50i M Sport
Carbon Black | Black | M Perf | 20" 333M | Lux Seat | Active | Adaptive | Cold | Tech | Sound | Prem 2 | Apps
Black kidneys | 35% Llumar tint | Passport 9500ix

Retired:
'12 550xi, '11 335xis, '11 X5 50i, '08 BMW 535i, '08 BMW 335xic, '05 Audi S4, '02 Audi TT Coupe
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 06-16-2012, 05:35 PM
dunderhi's Avatar
dunderhi dunderhi is offline
0-60 in 4 secs or less!
Location: MD
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 5,862
Mein Auto: '13 X5M, 650xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by jnkirk1974
For those of us that are dumb (me), how does this translate into 0-60 times? This is my only point reference that I can understand.
I've yet to hear stage 3 0-60 times. I have the stage 3 with eisenmann race exhaust.
The online calculators I have seen use the 1/8 time and speed to calculate 0-60. Here's one for example: http://www.wallaceracing.com/0 to 60 MPH I would not claim these are proven scientifically accurate calculators, so judge the following at yourself.

Using this calculator, RajG's best time 8.4000sec@86.75mph yields a 0-60 time of 4.04 secs. Looking at my best Stage 2 time, 8.092sec@87.93 yields a 0-60 time of 3.77 secs and 8.150@86.75 yields 3.9 secs for Stage 3. Using correction factors for weather (thanks Alextremo), there was no difference between the Stage 2 and Stage 3 track times. While I was at Stage 2, I did some Droid phone 0-60 app timings and I got in the 3.9 secs range with a bit more weight in the car, so it's in the ballpark.
__________________


2013 X5M ........ 2013 650xi ...... 2011 550xi (ret) 2011 335d (ret)
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 06-16-2012, 05:46 PM
jnkirk1974 jnkirk1974 is offline
Registered User
Location: Rockwall, Texas
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 64
Mein Auto: 2011 550i (Dinan Stage 2)
Wow, 3.9 is huge! I'd have been happy with 4.3-4.4 (and I figured that was even optimistic).

Last edited by jnkirk1974; 06-16-2012 at 08:23 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 06-16-2012, 05:53 PM
dunderhi's Avatar
dunderhi dunderhi is offline
0-60 in 4 secs or less!
Location: MD
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 5,862
Mein Auto: '13 X5M, 650xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by RajG View Post
I go to Englishtown raceway in NJ. They charge $28 for 3 runs during their Test and Tune nights on Wednesdays. If they're not too busy, then they'll let you run as many times as you want for the $28. I assume most tracks have similar options.

Raj
At Capitol Raceway it's $20-25 for all of the runs you can complete. They also rent helmets for $10.
__________________


2013 X5M ........ 2013 650xi ...... 2011 550xi (ret) 2011 335d (ret)
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 06-16-2012, 05:54 PM
dunderhi's Avatar
dunderhi dunderhi is offline
0-60 in 4 secs or less!
Location: MD
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 5,862
Mein Auto: '13 X5M, 650xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by jnkirk1974 View Post
Wow, 3.9 is huge! I'd have been happy with 4.3-4.4 (and I figured that was web optimistic).
Just to be clear these are AWD drives. I'm not sure what the RWD's are doing.
__________________


2013 X5M ........ 2013 650xi ...... 2011 550xi (ret) 2011 335d (ret)
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 06-16-2012, 06:21 PM
jnkirk1974 jnkirk1974 is offline
Registered User
Location: Rockwall, Texas
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 64
Mein Auto: 2011 550i (Dinan Stage 2)
I'm RWD.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 06-16-2012, 06:48 PM
dunderhi's Avatar
dunderhi dunderhi is offline
0-60 in 4 secs or less!
Location: MD
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 5,862
Mein Auto: '13 X5M, 650xi
Please take her to the track and let her rip.
__________________


2013 X5M ........ 2013 650xi ...... 2011 550xi (ret) 2011 335d (ret)
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 06-16-2012, 06:58 PM
2patron 2patron is offline
Registered User
Location: Florida
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 44
Mein Auto: 2011 550i stage 2
I've been out of the forum for quite some time.
I have stage II
Dunhery, can you really put stage III without the exhaust?
Did you feel the difference ?
Can you give me some info on what it did to the car compare to stage II?
Thanks
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 06-16-2012, 07:58 PM
dunderhi's Avatar
dunderhi dunderhi is offline
0-60 in 4 secs or less!
Location: MD
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 5,862
Mein Auto: '13 X5M, 650xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2patron View Post
I've been out of the forum for quite some time.
I have stage II
Dunhery, can you really put stage III without the exhaust?
Did you feel the difference ?
Can you give me some info on what it did to the car compare to stage II?
Thanks
Welcome back. There are a couple of guys who put on Stage 3 without the exhaust, but I added the Dinan Exhaust when I added Stage 3. I personally don't fell any difference performance-wise, but the sound of the car is much improved in my opinion. It's not very loud, but it reminds me and lets others know the car has a sporting nature.
__________________


2013 X5M ........ 2013 650xi ...... 2011 550xi (ret) 2011 335d (ret)
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 06-17-2012, 04:40 AM
jjsC6 jjsC6 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Houston, TX
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 1,477
Mein Auto: See Sig
Everyone is talking about 60' times and ET being off. But the thing that would be bothering me is the trap speed. Trap speed does not vary much with the launch, and is a good indicator of the HP being put down. A bone stock 550 should be 108 mph. He is only picking up 2mph or so with 100 more horsepower. 500 hp in that car should be running more like 113 unless it is really hot out and/or high elevation.

It seems to me that the 500 HP M5 (the outgoing model) has run as high as 118 trap speed if memory serves, and 115 plus easily. I realize that car was a little lighter, thats why I'm giving this the benefit of the doubt and saying he should be 113. Maybe even a bit higher.
__________________
2012 BMW 550 M-Sport
2014 Lexus GS350---Wife's car
2013 BMW 1600 GT---2011 Kawasaki Ninja 1000---2012 Ducati Panigale
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 06-17-2012, 05:41 AM
2patron 2patron is offline
Registered User
Location: Florida
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 44
Mein Auto: 2011 550i stage 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunderhi View Post
Welcome back. There are a couple of guys who put on Stage 3 without the exhaust, but I added the Dinan Exhaust when I added Stage 3. I personally don't fell any difference performance-wise, but the sound of the car is much improved in my opinion. It's not very loud, but it reminds me and lets others know the car has a sporting nature.
Thanks for the feed back.
Definitely staying with stage II
For some reason I like the silent nature of the car as if it was a stealth fighter
Last week on i95 I gave a sedan m3 e92 a run for his money.
And same day a douche on a S4 on a red light I didn't event felt like I had to push sport mode!
Any info on the performance suspension system? dinan
Can find people that have done it
Usually they do ACS etc..
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 06-17-2012, 07:41 AM
dunderhi's Avatar
dunderhi dunderhi is offline
0-60 in 4 secs or less!
Location: MD
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 5,862
Mein Auto: '13 X5M, 650xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjsC6 View Post
Everyone is talking about 60' times and ET being off. But the thing that would be bothering me is the trap speed. Trap speed does not vary much with the launch, and is a good indicator of the HP being put down. A bone stock 550 should be 108 mph. He is only picking up 2mph or so with 100 more horsepower. 500 hp in that car should be running more like 113 unless it is really hot out and/or high elevation.

It seems to me that the 500 HP M5 (the outgoing model) has run as high as 118 trap speed if memory serves, and 115 plus easily. I realize that car was a little lighter, thats why I'm giving this the benefit of the doubt and saying he should be 113. Maybe even a bit higher.
Using a calculator at Wallace Racing I get the following:
1) M5, 114.6mph and 4137lbs yields 512hp. (data from MotorTrend)
2) 550, 106.9mph and 4354lbs yields 437hp. (data from MotorTrend)
3) RajG, 110.6mph and 4550lbs yields 506hp. (from RajG's data above)
4) Me, 112.9mph and 4760lbs yields 563hp. (my best trap speed & measured weight)

I suspect BMW's stock numbers are in general underestimated, but I believe BMW quotes minimum performance numbers since manufacturing variances will produce engines with different power levels; every engine does not leave the factory with the exact same horsepower.
__________________


2013 X5M ........ 2013 650xi ...... 2011 550xi (ret) 2011 335d (ret)
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 06-17-2012, 08:52 AM
jjsC6 jjsC6 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Houston, TX
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 1,477
Mein Auto: See Sig
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunderhi View Post
Using a calculator at Wallace Racing I get the following:
1) M5, 114.6mph and 4137lbs yields 512hp. (data from MotorTrend)
2) 550, 106.9mph and 4354lbs yields 437hp. (data from MotorTrend)
3) RajG, 110.6mph and 4550lbs yields 506hp. (from RajG's data above)
4) Me, 112.9mph and 4760lbs yields 563hp. (my best trap speed & measured weight)

I suspect BMW's stock numbers are in general underestimated, but I believe BMW quotes minimum performance numbers since manufacturing variances will produce engines with different power levels; every engine does not leave the factory with the exact same horsepower.
Good info. There have been very few tests on the 550, but there have been tests on the 650 and 750 both of which weight at least as much as the 550 (not counting the AWD extra weight). Also, I gave the benefit of the doubt, the stage III package should be 510 hp, right? Also, the 580(?) lb ft of toque with the AWD should make it a monster getting it out of the hole and up to speed, although peak HP is more telling on the trap speed.
__________________
2012 BMW 550 M-Sport
2014 Lexus GS350---Wife's car
2013 BMW 1600 GT---2011 Kawasaki Ninja 1000---2012 Ducati Panigale
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 06-17-2012, 09:32 AM
Sophisto Sophisto is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Netherlands
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 2,069
Mein Auto: F11 530D
Sure, you need lots of torque to get the heavy AWD on the roll, something different than the Ninja I suspect.
Only one wheel driven and nicely under 3 seconds from 0 to 60 I presume?
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 06-17-2012, 10:52 AM
Mbbrewer Mbbrewer is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Houston
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 287
Mein Auto: 2013 550 Msport
Those 60ft times are really killing your time. I think you should be able to get that down to 1.6-1.7 with a bit of experience.
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 06-18-2012, 01:40 PM
RajG's Avatar
RajG RajG is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Northern NJ
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 395
Mein Auto: '14 M5 CP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbbrewer View Post
Those 60ft times are really killing your time. I think you should be able to get that down to 1.6-1.7 with a bit of experience.
100% agree. I plan to go twice a month so hopefully my times will improve throughout the summer.

Raj
__________________

'14 M5 CP
Black Sapphire | Black | Executive | Lighting | B&O | Exhaust Meister | 35% Llumar tint | Passport 9500ix

'13 X5 50i M Sport
Carbon Black | Black | M Perf | 20" 333M | Lux Seat | Active | Adaptive | Cold | Tech | Sound | Prem 2 | Apps
Black kidneys | 35% Llumar tint | Passport 9500ix

Retired:
'12 550xi, '11 335xis, '11 X5 50i, '08 BMW 535i, '08 BMW 335xic, '05 Audi S4, '02 Audi TT Coupe
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)
Today's Posts Search
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 04:34 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
© 2001-2011 performanceIX, Inc. All Rights Reserved .: guidelines .:. privacy .:. terms