Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 7 Series / 8 Series > 7 Series - F01 (2009 - current)

7 Series - F01 (2009 - current)
The new re-designed 7 series leads off the BMW Fxx chassis code!

Old 06-04-2012, 08:29 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2012 ActiveHybrid 7 SWB
Is your rear license plate mounted flush against the plastic trunk?

I was wondering if your rear license plate is mounted flush against the back plastic trunk, or if you there is some foam/rubber mounting tape? They used the mounting tape on my ED plate, and when I get my regular plates would probably like to do the same. But I was wondeirng if there folks just mounted flush, and that there were no issues with metal to plastic causing any damage.

Any idea where to get that foam/rubber single side sticky material? Hardware store? Dealer? What is it called?

3/12 ED 7 - thread ID 610350
1/11 ED 6 - thread ID 5767556&postcount=175
4/10 ED 5 - thread ID 453501
5/08 ED 4 - thread ID 290679
3/07 ED 3 - thread ID 201013
3/06 ED 2 - thread ID 136454
Ads by Google
Old 06-04-2012, 03:12 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 750Li AH
What r u doing for front. Does anyone know of any snap on plate holders for front
Old 06-07-2012, 02:34 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 650i Gran Coupe
You don't have your permanent plates yet, cc? How are you getting away with that and no temp. plate??

I finally got my 7 hybrid home from ED on Memorial Day. Had my plates/reg a few days later. Just mounted the rear plate flush with the trunk. (I'm leaving off the front plate, for now at least)

I thought it looked a little odd since my outgoing 3-series had a thin bracket behind the rear plate, but it appears to be snug so I'm not too worried about it scraping the trunk paint.

I'm pretty sure Home Depot/Lowe's has all sorts of padded tape that would work in this situation.
Old 06-16-2012, 12:29 AM

Mein Auto: 2012 750i
Smile I just put on my new rear plate and frame

I bought the OEM BMW frame from my dealer. The frame came with 4 thick washers to put behind the plate to prevent plate from touching car/plastic paint. The problem was the washers are too thick and when you add the thickness of the snap cover washers on the front of the frame the factory screws were too short to thread into the speed nuts in the body.

I went to ACE hardware and got 4 o-rings that were 1/3 the thickness of the supplied washers. I also put electrical tape on the two metal tabs on the bottom of the frame were it holds the license plate. So, the plate/frame is about 1/16" of the plastic (and the stock factory screws work fine) and while the two metal tabs may be touching the paint, the electrical tape will prevent any damage.

Hope this helps.

Last edited by BeachDJ; 06-16-2012 at 12:30 AM.