Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)

F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)
The new chapter in the highly successful story of the BMW 5 Series Sedan (F10) and wagon (F11)

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #26  
Old 06-14-2012, 07:32 AM
gspannu gspannu is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: UK
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 360
Mein Auto: 5 Series F10 2012 Model
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmacedo View Post
I Have Business Navigation, not professional. Do you think Siri will be avaiable in Business ?
I really have no idea…, and to be honest; neither does anyone; unless BMW themselves make a statement… All we do is speculation
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 06-14-2012, 08:13 AM
mpress mpress is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: white plains ny
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 405
Mein Auto: 09 X5 4.8
gspannu,

Im running ios6 beta, and it is not currently mapped for office to work in our cars... it will be by public release or even gold beta...

My siri is activating via the voice command button and working incredibly well... far better recognition then before... also utilized turn by turn nav.. had phone synced as BT and all nab commands are flawless, mute iPod music and are delivered through the car sound system...

turn by turn graphics currently do not show up on the dash but may in future beta builds similar to album artwork..(no definitive word yet from cupertino but likely)

the BT/iphone nav and new mapping turn by turn nav is actually more accurate then BMW's, or at least my feb build GT's..... and siri's input can add additional info as you go.. very cool...

mp
__________________
HP=s

2012 GT 550ix Msport (feb12)(ok early march 12)
09 X5 4.8
12 X3 35i (the wife)
09 C4S
61 356 roadster
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 06-14-2012, 08:13 AM
bmacedo bmacedo is offline
Registered User
Location: Lisbon, Portugal
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 2
Mein Auto: BMW 318 Touring 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by gspannu View Post
I really have no idea…, and to be honest; neither does anyone; unless BMW themselves make a statement… All we do is speculation
Thanks. I have to wait for following news.
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 06-14-2012, 02:35 PM
nicewonky nicewonky is offline
Registered User
Location: NYC
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 89
Mein Auto: 2012 535i xDrive
mpress, when you say you can activate Siri using the voice command button, are you referring to the voice command button on the BMW's steering wheel?
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 06-14-2012, 05:29 PM
sunny_j's Avatar
sunny_j sunny_j is offline
bmw addiction
Location: Vancouver Britsh Columbia Canada
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 6,734
Mein Auto: X5d
the idrive is now displaying parts of my emails, texts & whatsapp group chat.

text
idrive will not display the contacts name so you don't know who the text is from.



whatsapp group chat
idrive will only display the group chat name and the user sending the message. it will not display the users message.



email
idrive will display user name only. it will not display the emails subject and the message.
__________________

2012 X5d | White on Black | Fully Loaded | Sport Package
Black Trim Painted White

-2009 E320 Diesel | White on Black | H&R Springs | Kleemann KD-Box | 20" Monarch Hamburg Rims
Black Roof | E63 Rear Lip | Hood Emblem Delete | Foglight Chrome Trim Delete Gone


-2003 760LI Titanium Gray Metallic | Every option | H&R Springs upfront , via computer in rear
OEM Style 128 21" wheels | 40% tint | AIB Angel Eye's w/ matching foglights Gone
Reply With Quote
  #31  
Old 06-14-2012, 07:33 PM
alex_c's Avatar
alex_c alex_c is offline
Over 20 years owning BMWs
Location: Houston, TX
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 714
Mein Auto: 2012 535i M-Sport
This is great news!

I am in San Francisco right now and I already got the iOS 6 beta. Can't wait to get back home to try it in my BMW !!!
__________________
2012 535i | Built 8/25˜9/07 2011 | Delivered 10-15-2011 | Carbon Black | Oyster Black Dakota Leather | M-Sport Pkg | Luxury Seating Pkg | Premium Pkg | Premium Sound Pkg | Technology Pkg | Sport Auto Trans. | Split Fold-Down Seats | Heated Seats | Side & Top View Cameras | Heads-Up Display | BMW Apps | Black Panel Display | Trunk Lip Spoiler | Roof Spoiler | Quad Exhaust | AirBlue Tint | Turner Wheel Spacers | Euro Plates | Hardwire V1 w/BOB | Media Cradle | Debadged | Kitchen Sink Pkg...
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old 06-16-2012, 07:55 AM
gspannu gspannu is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: UK
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 360
Mein Auto: 5 Series F10 2012 Model
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpress View Post
gspannu,

Im running ios6 beta, and it is not currently mapped for office to work in our cars... it will be by public release or even gold beta...

My siri is activating via the voice command button and working incredibly well... far better recognition then before... also utilized turn by turn nav.. had phone synced as BT and all nab commands are flawless, mute iPod music and are delivered through the car sound system...

turn by turn graphics currently do not show up on the dash but may in future beta builds similar to album artwork..(no definitive word yet from cupertino but likely)

the BT/iphone nav and new mapping turn by turn nav is actually more accurate then BMW's, or at least my feb build GT's..... and siri's input can add additional info as you go.. very cool...

mp
@mpress

How do you run Siri through the Voice Button? Can you please write exact steps/ elaborate?
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old 06-18-2012, 12:04 PM
GeneArch's Avatar
GeneArch GeneArch is offline
Living a dream!
Location: So.Cal
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 2,772
Mein Auto: 2011 535i
Not integrated yet... But here's the scoop

http://www.idownloadblog.com/2012/06...-siri-feature/

As Scott Forstall rattled off a list of Siri’s new capabilities in iOS 6, there was one particular feature that really stood out: Eyes Free. Apple will be teaming up with auto-makers to take its digital assistant act on the road.

But outside of a list of manufacturing partners, and a brief explanation of how Eyes Free will work, not much else has been said about the new feature. How will it be implemented? And when can we expect to see it?

The folks over at Car and Driver decided to go straight to the source to get some answers. The popular auto magazine talked to engineers from both Chevrolet and Mercedes-Benz to get the low-down on Eyes Free.

“It’s important to first point out that Siri is a software change, both for the car and the phone, and not one that affects hardware—existing voice-command buttons will be used to access the system through a Bluetooth connection. According to an engineer we spoke to, Apple’s software development includes a refinement in how Siri deals with high amounts of background noise—the in-car’s single mic can pick up road, wind, and engine noise that makes it difficult for Siri to comprehend command. Apple has somehow solved the problem with the iOS 6 changes that go along with Eyes Free.”

Once an iPhone is paired with a vehicle, users will be able to activate Eyes Free by holding down or double-tapping the car’s built-in voice command button. The activation method will differ slightly from the system’s default, so users can still access the stock voice commands.

Apple says we can expect Eyes Free to hit the market sometime within the next 12 months. But both Chevy and Mercedes seem pretty intent on having Siri-friendly vehicles out by the end of this year.

It may not seem like it yet, but this is a pretty big deal for Apple. It’ll certainly be interesting to see how this plays out.

What do you think? Will Eyes Free be a hit?
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old 06-18-2012, 12:09 PM
wdimagineer's Avatar
wdimagineer wdimagineer is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: San Francisco, CA
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 668
Mein Auto: 2013 M5
I spent a lot of time talking to Apple engineers last week - including some of my former colleagues when I worked at the company. I think this will be a big hit. My biggest gripe with Siri in general is her voice. They really need to offer customizable voices, similar to Android. I find myself rarely using it since the novelty wore off because of this.

That said I was pleasantly surprised to see Text/iMessage notifications start appearing in iDrive when I got home. It's still buggy and BMW may need to release a Bluetooth update for full support, but it's one step closer to closing the gap between iPhone and car.
__________________
Current: 2014 X5 xDrive50i ZMM - Alpine White/Mocha (Mods In Progress!)
Past: 2014 Jeep SRT - 2013 Tesla Model S P85+ - Bimmerpost Featured 2013 F10 M5 - 2012 550 xDrive - 2011 M3 ZCP
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old 06-18-2012, 12:10 PM
gspannu gspannu is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: UK
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 360
Mein Auto: 5 Series F10 2012 Model
Quote:
Originally Posted by alex_c View Post
This is great news!

I am in San Francisco right now and I already got the iOS 6 beta. Can't wait to get back home to try it in my BMW !!!
Alex,

What's your report? Are you able to see SMS or emails?

All I see is the new menus but no content, new emails or SMS do not appear in Idrive. It always reports 0 SMS and 0 emails...
Reply With Quote
  #36  
Old 06-18-2012, 12:12 PM
gspannu gspannu is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: UK
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 360
Mein Auto: 5 Series F10 2012 Model
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneArch View Post
Not integrated yet... But here's the scoop

http://www.idownloadblog.com/2012/06...-siri-feature/

As Scott Forstall rattled off a list of Siri’s new capabilities in iOS 6, there was one particular feature that really stood out: Eyes Free. Apple will be teaming up with auto-makers to take its digital assistant act on the road.

But outside of a list of manufacturing partners, and a brief explanation of how Eyes Free will work, not much else has been said about the new feature. How will it be implemented? And when can we expect to see it?

The folks over at Car and Driver decided to go straight to the source to get some answers. The popular auto magazine talked to engineers from both Chevrolet and Mercedes-Benz to get the low-down on Eyes Free.

“It’s important to first point out that Siri is a software change, both for the car and the phone, and not one that affects hardware—existing voice-command buttons will be used to access the system through a Bluetooth connection. According to an engineer we spoke to, Apple’s software development includes a refinement in how Siri deals with high amounts of background noise—the in-car’s single mic can pick up road, wind, and engine noise that makes it difficult for Siri to comprehend command. Apple has somehow solved the problem with the iOS 6 changes that go along with Eyes Free.”

Once an iPhone is paired with a vehicle, users will be able to activate Eyes Free by holding down or double-tapping the car’s built-in voice command button. The activation method will differ slightly from the system’s default, so users can still access the stock voice commands.

Apple says we can expect Eyes Free to hit the market sometime within the next 12 months. But both Chevy and Mercedes seem pretty intent on having Siri-friendly vehicles out by the end of this year.

It may not seem like it yet, but this is a pretty big deal for Apple. It’ll certainly be interesting to see how this plays out.

What do you think? Will Eyes Free be a hit?
Does this double tap 'voice button' work in the F10 BMW?

@mpress: Can you confirm your method of activating Siri?
Reply With Quote
  #37  
Old 06-18-2012, 12:36 PM
wdimagineer's Avatar
wdimagineer wdimagineer is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: San Francisco, CA
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 668
Mein Auto: 2013 M5
This is what my screens look like. Just FYI.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByBimmerApp1340048162.456217.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	86.5 KB
ID:	329670   Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByBimmerApp1340048179.220537.jpg
Views:	163
Size:	94.2 KB
ID:	329671  
__________________
Current: 2014 X5 xDrive50i ZMM - Alpine White/Mocha (Mods In Progress!)
Past: 2014 Jeep SRT - 2013 Tesla Model S P85+ - Bimmerpost Featured 2013 F10 M5 - 2012 550 xDrive - 2011 M3 ZCP
Reply With Quote
  #38  
Old 06-18-2012, 12:44 PM
gspannu gspannu is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: UK
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 360
Mein Auto: 5 Series F10 2012 Model
Quote:
Originally Posted by wdimagineer View Post
This is what my screens look like. Just FYI.
Would you mind posting what version of idrive/ bluetooth software you have?

I get the first screen, but it always shows 0 messages, 0 emails. The count does not change even if I receive an email/SMS while in the car.
Reply With Quote
  #39  
Old 06-18-2012, 01:13 PM
gspannu gspannu is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: UK
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 360
Mein Auto: 5 Series F10 2012 Model
Quote:
Originally Posted by gspannu View Post
Would you mind posting what version of idrive/ bluetooth software you have?

I get the first screen, but it always shows 0 messages, 0 emails. The count does not change even if I receive an email/SMS while in the car.
Can anyone else confirm what version of software they are running?
I'm running
MX 3.5.4 and TX 3.5.4

and although I get the menus the count is always 0.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	254.1 KB
ID:	329691  
Reply With Quote
  #40  
Old 06-18-2012, 01:15 PM
gspannu gspannu is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: UK
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 360
Mein Auto: 5 Series F10 2012 Model
Quote:
Originally Posted by gspannu View Post
Can anyone else confirm what version of software they are running?
I'm running
MX 3.5.4 and TX 3.5.4

and although I get the menus the count is always 0.
And the count is always 0, even if I get emails/SMS while in the car.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	236.0 KB
ID:	329693  
Reply With Quote
  #41  
Old 06-18-2012, 03:23 PM
wdimagineer's Avatar
wdimagineer wdimagineer is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: San Francisco, CA
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 668
Mein Auto: 2013 M5
I'm running MX and TX 3.5.4. Car build date is 1/2012.
__________________
Current: 2014 X5 xDrive50i ZMM - Alpine White/Mocha (Mods In Progress!)
Past: 2014 Jeep SRT - 2013 Tesla Model S P85+ - Bimmerpost Featured 2013 F10 M5 - 2012 550 xDrive - 2011 M3 ZCP
Reply With Quote
  #42  
Old 06-18-2012, 03:31 PM
gspannu gspannu is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: UK
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 360
Mein Auto: 5 Series F10 2012 Model
Quote:
Originally Posted by wdimagineer View Post
I'm running MX and TX 3.5.4. Car build date is 1/2012.
Very strange behaviour in my car; as my car is 05/2012… hopefully its just a Beta iOS6 problem and will get resolved in the next Beta update.

Do you have any idea as to how @mpress has managed to get Siri working (as per his post #28)?
Reply With Quote
  #43  
Old 06-18-2012, 03:36 PM
wdimagineer's Avatar
wdimagineer wdimagineer is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: San Francisco, CA
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 668
Mein Auto: 2013 M5
I have no idea how (or if) he's doing it. I tried double-tapping with no success.
__________________
Current: 2014 X5 xDrive50i ZMM - Alpine White/Mocha (Mods In Progress!)
Past: 2014 Jeep SRT - 2013 Tesla Model S P85+ - Bimmerpost Featured 2013 F10 M5 - 2012 550 xDrive - 2011 M3 ZCP
Reply With Quote
  #44  
Old 06-19-2012, 12:17 AM
Mobileum Mobileum is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Norway
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 200
Mein Auto: 520d f10
I have tested this, and came to this conclution:

The car ignition must be on and the phone connected in order to get emails/messages. It will not pick up messages or emails that is already stored on the phone prior to connection. I am sure that this is an IOS6 beta issue, and will be fixed,
Reply With Quote
  #45  
Old 06-19-2012, 01:11 AM
gspannu gspannu is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: UK
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 360
Mein Auto: 5 Series F10 2012 Model
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpress View Post

Im running ios6 beta, and it is not currently mapped for office to work in our cars... it will be by public release or even gold beta...

My siri is activating via the voice command button and working incredibly well... far better recognition then before... also utilized turn by turn nav.. had phone synced as BT and all nab commands are flawless, mute iPod music and are delivered through the car sound system...

turn by turn graphics currently do not show up on the dash but may in future beta builds similar to album artwork..(no definitive word yet from cupertino but likely)

the BT/iphone nav and new mapping turn by turn nav is actually more accurate then BMW's, or at least my feb build GT's..... and siri's input can add additional info as you go.. very cool...
mp
Since @mpress (Post #28) is not responding; anyone else have any clue how to activate Siri ?
Reply With Quote
  #46  
Old 06-19-2012, 02:51 AM
Stealth.Pilot's Avatar
Stealth.Pilot Stealth.Pilot is offline
The Driver
Location: Florida
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 4,560
Mein Auto: 2014 M5
He's probably busy. Try a PM.
__________________

2014 ///M5 Individual
Frozen Grey, Silverstone Full Merino, Piano Black, Exec Pkg, Drivers assistance pkg, LED Package, Bang and Olufsen, 20" Forged wheels
Reply With Quote
  #47  
Old 06-19-2012, 03:22 AM
gspannu gspannu is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: UK
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 360
Mein Auto: 5 Series F10 2012 Model
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stealth.Pilot View Post
He's probably busy. Try a PM.
Have tried PM as well.. You are right; he is probably on holiday or busy…

Well, hopefully someone else would have made this work and will post an update….
Reply With Quote
  #48  
Old 06-19-2012, 04:03 AM
DreamCar's Avatar
DreamCar DreamCar is online now
Moderator
Location: Planet Earth
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 2,471
Mein Auto: F10 M5
Gspannu,
Instead of double tap did you try long press?
Reply With Quote
  #49  
Old 06-19-2012, 06:27 AM
gspannu gspannu is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: UK
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 360
Mein Auto: 5 Series F10 2012 Model
Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamCar View Post
Gspannu,
Instead of double tap did you try long press?
I have just tried the Long press & Double tap… No result.

Cannot get Siri to activate. Its only the iDrive Voice command that comes up as usual, nothing else.
Reply With Quote
  #50  
Old 06-19-2012, 06:59 AM
wdimagineer's Avatar
wdimagineer wdimagineer is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: San Francisco, CA
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 668
Mein Auto: 2013 M5
I think he's leading us on, personally. The software does not exist for iDrive to trigger Siri.

He may be referring to holding down the Home button, which is how I activate Siri currently.

Office also works for me, though very limited in functionality.
__________________
Current: 2014 X5 xDrive50i ZMM - Alpine White/Mocha (Mods In Progress!)
Past: 2014 Jeep SRT - 2013 Tesla Model S P85+ - Bimmerpost Featured 2013 F10 M5 - 2012 550 xDrive - 2011 M3 ZCP
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)
Today's Posts Search
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 01:31 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
© 2001-2011 performanceIX, Inc. All Rights Reserved .: guidelines .:. privacy .:. terms