Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 6 Series

6 Series
The BMW 6 Series builds on BMW's sporty heritage with aggressive lines and an incredible motor to back the design up. Available in coupe and convertible trims with a standard 4.8 liter engine producing 360 horsepower and 360 lb-ft of torque, the 6-series is a popular choice that exceeds expectations.

Old 06-13-2012, 03:06 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2005 BMW 645ci
BMW 640i GRAND COUPE

Any thought on this?

http://www.bmwusa.com/standard/conte...e/default.aspx
Old 06-13-2012, 03:12 PM

Mein Auto: 645ci conv
Not feeling the Gran Coupe body style. Then again, I'm not too keen on any of the '11 and newer bodies..........
Old 06-13-2012, 04:27 PM
Nothing quite like a 6

Mein Auto: 09' 650i Cabrio
Just because it new doesn't mean it looks better. Even though I love new things. Grand coupe.. mmm... No. If I want 4 doors I better go to 5 or 7. I never feel for 3 sedan and 6 sedan. No no.
Old 06-13-2012, 05:25 PM

Mein Auto: '04 M3 / '06 650i Cab
For a 4 door I think it looks awesome. If I needed a 4 door I would rather have the Grand Coupe over a 5er or A7. I still like the previous generation CLS the best when it comes to big 4 door coupes.
'02 Highlander - kid hauler
'01 330Ci - winter beater

Old 06-13-2012, 05:35 PM

Mein Auto: 650i Convertible
Sorry, in this regards I have to give a thumbs down . Not feeling it at all. I think Mercedes have the handle on this grand coupe thing. Mercedes came out with a whole new radical design and call it the first 4 door coupe. Looked nothing like anything else in their line up becaus it was different. That was the way i felt when I first saw the 6 series. It was different! The BMW 6 coupe just looked like a stretch version of the current 6. Not radical looking or too different. This one sorry to say I would not buy. The new CLS is sweet though.
Old 06-13-2012, 05:50 PM

Mein Auto: 2005 BMW 645ci
I understand your point, I also feel that it's geared towards current 6 lovers. Does not work for me.
Old 06-13-2012, 07:18 PM

Did you guys watch the video on that page, the one on the left? That's what did it for me. The car looks awkward from some angles in pics but I liked it in the video.

Old 06-14-2012, 12:32 AM
Nothing quite like a 6

Mein Auto: 09' 650i Cabrio
Quote:
Originally Posted by pablo645 View Post
Sorry, in this regards I have to give a thumbs down . Not feeling it at all. I think Mercedes have the handle on this grand coupe thing. Mercedes came out with a whole new radical design and call it the first 4 door coupe. Looked nothing like anything else in their line up becaus it was different. That was the way i felt when I first saw the 6 series. It was different! The BMW 6 coupe just looked like a stretch version of the current 6. Not radical looking or too different. This one sorry to say I would not buy. The new CLS is sweet though.
Totally agree, if non-BMW brand, with the same price level, CLS and Panamera S are best choices. I still choose CLS over Panamera due to its mean-looking taillight. Sweet.
Old 06-14-2012, 03:21 AM

Mein Auto: 2006 650 convertible!!!
I for one do not understand why they decided to do this? With the standard 6 engine being available in the 5 and 7 also it has some overlap. Obviously the 7 is much bigger, but the 5 is so similar already. Here is a quiz, which is a 5 and and which is a 6 in the picture below, I have obscured the headlights, bottom grill, side, and taillights. The most obvious tells which I think are pretty minor differences overall.

I would guess that to figure it out you will have to refer to the pictures on BMW's website. If that is the case they are too close in design!

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	bmw obscured.JPG
Views:	357
Size:	47.3 KB
ID:	329180  

Last edited by tampamark; 06-14-2012 at 03:25 AM.
Old 06-14-2012, 06:00 AM

Mein Auto: 650i Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by tampamark View Post
I for one do not understand why they decided to do this? With the standard 6 engine being available in the 5 and 7 also it has some overlap. Obviously the 7 is much bigger, but the 5 is so similar already. Here is a quiz, which is a 5 and and which is a 6 in the picture below, I have obscured the headlights, bottom grill, side, and taillights. The most obvious tells which I think are pretty minor differences overall.

I would guess that to figure it out you will have to refer to the pictures on BMW's website. If that is the case they are too close in design!

You made my point with this! For a so called new and first for BMW I would have expected more for their very first "Grand Coupe
'
Old 06-14-2012, 06:03 AM

Wow. Those pics are interesting. Makes the BMW design department look like a bunch of lazy monkeys.

Old 06-14-2012, 06:05 AM

Mein Auto: '08 BMW 650i 'vert
I saw one a couple weeks ago in thew new BMW showroom in Paris and did not like it at all. To much like an ordinary sedan. Now, the Z8 that was next to it was a different story . . .
Old 06-14-2012, 12:17 PM
06 BMW 650i Sprt/Prem Pkg

Mein Auto: 2006 BMW 650i e64
If I need 4 doors I would go get another 7 Series. Might as well go all the way....

2006 BMW 650i Sport/Premium Package
+ Various Mods & Upgrades
Old 06-14-2012, 12:22 PM

Mein Auto: Cars
I'm still on the fence w/this one but that video is pretty sweet. Not sure BMW will sell a big volume of them, if that was there plan but time will tell.
Old 06-14-2012, 04:21 PM

Mein Auto: 2007 BMW 650i
I like the thought of 4 doors, but I'm not sold on the car either. The pictures shown by tampamark are awesome! I thought at first why did he post up two pictures of a car with the headlights and taillights masked out. Then read the post. YES they are very similar. I have problems telling the new 3 from a 5 sometimes too when standing in front of them though, grin.
Old 06-15-2012, 11:24 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 528i + 2007 650 Vert
Quote:
Originally Posted by reytran View Post
Totally agree, if non-BMW brand, with the same price level, CLS and Panamera S are best choices. I still choose CLS over Panamera due to its mean-looking taillight. Sweet.
Here's my take. Where I live there are tons of Panameras. I even see little old ladies driving them and personally I hate the style. It looks like the old 928 to me.

Anyway, there is big market for a 4dr that is not a 7 series luxo-cruiser. BMW has nothing to offer there. I have a 2012 528i also, and even with a bigger engine the 5 series is not even close to a 6 in so many ways.

I think that could be a niche market winner, like all 6 series. I think the style will grow on me over time. I don't want one, but I would not turn a free one down.

I Love LA. It lets me ride in the winter with the top down.
07' E64/Black....14' F10/M-Sport White
Old 06-16-2012, 05:04 AM

Mein Auto: 645ci
Its cool, just not as sexy as the 2 door
Old 06-16-2012, 07:24 AM

Mein Auto: 2006 650 convertible!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by roseng View Post
Here's my take. Where I live there are tons of Panameras. I even see little old ladies driving them and personally I hate the style. It looks like the old 928 to me.

Anyway, there is big market for a 4dr that is not a 7 series luxo-cruiser. BMW has nothing to offer there. I have a 2012 528i also, and even with a bigger engine the 5 series is not even close to a 6 in so many ways.

I think that could be a niche market winner, like all 6 series. I think the style will grow on me over time. I don't want one, but I would not turn a free one down.
I believe this coupe will sell, mainly because consumers are relatively simple and BMW has built such a devoted crowd of followers.

The Panamera is very polarizing, people thought it was ugly when it came out, me included! I had a Boxster and was a participant on the Porsche boards, boy you would have thought the world was ending when Porsche came out with a SUV and then a sedan. But I will give Porsche this over BMW, the Panamera was a BOLD design that departed radically from the current models. The interior is completely different, it has it's own design queues while maintaining the classic Porsche front end look. After seeing them in person now I think they are fantastic.

Like Yorgi said, the 6 GC just seems to be a very lazy approach to a new vehicle design. While it is larger than the 5 by a bit the wheelbase is nearly identical (according to some reviews I read). The interior is identical.

I have just the opposite opinion of the 5 vs 6. I have a friend with a 2008 550, when I am in his car I think I am in a 6 with four doors. Everything is the same, although his seats have some more capabilities than mine. His car is almost the same speed and handling, perhaps if I drove a 550 and 650 all the time I could tune my perceptions a bit more. But I will NEVER happen as I will not be a multi-bimmer owner. I am just not that loyal to the brand.
Old 06-16-2012, 06:16 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 528i + 2007 650 Vert
Quote:
Originally Posted by tampamark View Post
I believe this coupe will sell, mainly because consumers are relatively simple and BMW has built such a devoted crowd of followers.

Like Yorgi said, the 6 GC just seems to be a very lazy approach to a new vehicle design. While it is larger than the 5 by a bit the wheelbase is nearly identical (according to some reviews I read). The interior is identical.

But I will NEVER happen as I will not be a multi-bimmer owner. I am just not that loyal to the brand.
Yes the appointments are similar but the handling is way different. BTW I'm not really a Bimmer nut.
My wife drives the 5'er and needs it for her work (real estate) and hates the Benz feel. I wanted a vert, so it was either a 650i or a 911 cab. My kids convinced me to go with the 650. I've had a number of BMW's and I always feel the pain along with the joy!

I Love LA. It lets me ride in the winter with the top down.
07' E64/Black....14' F10/M-Sport White