Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E34 (1989 - 1995)

E34 (1989 - 1995)

Old 06-17-2012, 11:41 AM
Humble E34 lover

Mein Auto: 1992 525i
Need aux fan help

Happy father's day to my fellow Festers with kids.

I need a little help with an aux fan issue. I noticed not long ago that the aux fan wasn't working. Checked the fuse and it was blown. Before I replaced the fuse I tried to turn the fan by hand. It was bound and would only turn with much resistance. Okay. Conclusion: bad aux fan. Happened on my previous E34.

Ordered a new aux fan and began to put it on today. Prior to tear down, I took another look to see if there was anything binding the fan. Couldn't see anything. Went through the process and removed the front bumper, took a look to begin removal of the fan and guess what ..... I found a piece of bark from mulch wedged between the fan blade and part of the cage behind the fan So I think, well that sucks because I had already opened the box and inspected the new fan. So, I remove the offending peice of bark, replace the fuse and crank the car with the A/C on. Guess what, the aux fan is not turning It did not blow the fuse and the aux fan turns freely by hand.

So here's my dilemma. I plan to replace the old fan with the new one and keep the old one as a spare, but now I can't figure out why the old fan doesn't come on with the A/C. I know that there is a low/high temp switch that causes the aux fan to come on if the engine temp gets up far enough, but I also know that the aux fan is supposed to come on anytime the A/C is turned on.

I just don't want to put the new aux fan in and find that it is not coming on. Anyone have any suggestions?

Quote:
Originally Posted by noego View Post
It's Deja Poo - as in, I've heard this **** before.
Steve

Calypso Red 1992 525i with 200K miles

1991 735i - Sold
1992 525i - Sold
1995 325is - Sold
2000 528i - Sold

Advertisement
Old 06-17-2012, 11:50 AM
Humble E34 lover

More info: I checked the connector with my volt meter. No voltage to any of the three terminals if the A/C is off. I have 14.1v to the terminal with the black wire that has a blue stripe when the A/C is on. The terminals aren't numbered so I don't know which one it is.

I'm not strong at all with electrical stuff. I may look at the wiring diagram to see if I can figure out what the wire number is and where exactly it leads.

I thought that the fan should have 12v going to it, not 14v. Any thoughts on that?

Quote:
Steve

1991 735i - Sold
1992 525i - Sold
1995 325is - Sold
2000 528i - Sold

Old 06-17-2012, 11:55 AM
PFCTTZ/SirBoostAl0t

Mein Auto: 89 535i
put power to it and see if it runs, that should show if its the fan or something else in the system,
Old 06-17-2012, 11:57 AM
PFCTTZ/SirBoostAl0t

or even check the volts going to the harness for the fan, if its showing volts it would show the fan is busted not the system,
Old 06-17-2012, 12:03 PM
Humble E34 lover

Thanks. I did check for voltage at the connector (harness) for the fan. That's when I had 14.1v.

I guess I'm somewhat worried that that much voltage may burn my new fan out. I will be replacing the fan with the new one regardless.

Any advice on how I can apply voltage directly to the connector? I don't have a spare battery or much of any electrical stuff.

Quote:
Steve

1991 735i - Sold
1992 525i - Sold
1995 325is - Sold
2000 528i - Sold

Old 06-17-2012, 12:08 PM
PFCTTZ/SirBoostAl0t

if it only needs 14v then a 9v battery would make it move if it were working, somewhere in the plastic housing for the fan it might say how many volts it uses, but if ur worried about it blowing the new fan put a 15v fuse in the harness behind the clip
Old 06-17-2012, 12:13 PM
PFCTTZ/SirBoostAl0t

but I bet ya that twig burnt out the fan and blew the fuse, not the car
Old 06-17-2012, 06:16 PM
Humble E34 lover

Hello again fellow Festers. Well, I finished my aux fan replacement. It was not terribly bad. I followed this DIY that was extremely helpful.

http://www.bimmerboard.com/forums/posts/675154

Apparently, the old fan burned up with the offending piece of bark lodged in it. It spins freely, but will not run. Here are a couple of pictures of the piece:

Here’s what the new fan looks like. AutohauzAZ indicates on the receipt that it is Siemens, but I didn’t see it anywhere on the fan so I’m suspicious if it is real Siemens. But, I only paid $154 shipped so I guess I can’t complain.

Sans fan:

New fan in place:

Here are some observations. I read somewhere that someone did this without removing the bumper. I don’t see how that is possible. I had some trouble getting the first side marker out, but once I got it out, it was a lot easier on the opposite side.

My bumper did not want to release for some reason. I was easily able to get it to move forward about ¾ inch, but it seemed to bind up, or so I thought. I wound up pulling it out a little, popping it back in a couple of times. After that, I just gave a good yank and it came loose on the passenger side. I wasn’t that comfortable doing it that way, but everything I read said that it should just slide off.

Getting the old fan out was a pain. The rubber grommets seemed to have been melted on to the brackets. It wasn’t of course, but it sure did feel like it. Anyway, after some tugging (I used a long wood dowel to press up against the bracket to hold it to keep it from bending) and some WD-40 (not sure if it really did anything), I got the ones off at 3 o’clock and 7 o’clock positions. I wound up taking the bolt completely off of the one at the 11 o’clock position to allow the fan to drop. Then it was easy to remove the rubber grommet.

Re-installation was not too easy either. Even with the bolts completely loose, I had a hard time getting the grommets to slip into the brackets, even with WD-40. I wound up using a very small flat blade screw driver and pressed in the groves of the grommet at the same time I was using the wood dowel up against my body applying force rearward. The one at 11 o’clock went in first. Then the one at 3 o’clock and finally the one at 7 o’clock.

Hooked it up and it ran fine. It came on as soon as I turned the A/C on.

One note on re-installation of the bumper covers. I tried to put it back on using the reverse of the removal. It didn’t work that way because the side of the cover would always wind up too far forward. I then re-adjusted and inserted the reward portion first and then worked forward. It worked great.

Hope this helps someone in the future.

Quote:
Steve

1991 735i - Sold
1992 525i - Sold
1995 325is - Sold
2000 528i - Sold

Old 06-17-2012, 09:41 PM
PFCTTZ/SirBoostAl0t

^ +1