Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 6 Series

6 Series
The BMW 6 Series builds on BMW's sporty heritage with aggressive lines and an incredible motor to back the design up. Available in coupe and convertible trims with a standard 4.8 liter engine producing 360 horsepower and 360 lb-ft of torque, the 6-series is a popular choice that exceeds expectations.

Old 06-15-2012, 03:21 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2005 645 ci convertible
transmission problem

Hello All,
Just got home from work. Went out to start my car (2005 645 Vert) to move it for washing and oh s*$%. I attempted to put in D1 and I got transm.malfunction .transmission failure program activated. only transmissions positions R Help Me ,
Blake
Ads by Google
Old 06-15-2012, 04:28 PM

this must be a doozy ! I made an appointment with the stealership and they said, we have to look at it first. It could be numerous of things>
Old 06-15-2012, 08:04 PM

Mein Auto: 2007' BMW 650i
Good luck . Sorry to hear, let us know what they say?

2007' BMW 650i Cabriolet | Stratus Metallic - Gray top
SMG Transmission | HUD | Logic 7 | Sport Pkg | Cold Weather Pkg
Adaptive Cruise Control | Comfort Access

Old 06-15-2012, 09:25 PM

Mein Auto: 645Ci
Try Bimmerworks, they're a reputable indy in west chester. did u try just restarting the car?
Old 06-16-2012, 11:21 PM

Thanks cracksquad! I am seeing bimmerworks on Monday. I've dealt with them before. I did restart and the same thing happened. What a bummer because this was a vert weekend, SO the fam had to drive the Maxima.
I'm wondering if the service engine light on has anyting to do witht he malfunction transmission issue?
Old 06-17-2012, 02:48 AM
Michael

Mein Auto: Black Sapphire BMW Z4 3L
Try doing a transmission reset !!! very easy to do with many threads on the forum!!!!

Does my bum look good in this !
Old 06-17-2012, 07:59 AM

I 've tried the search with no answer. I typed in transmission reset .Is there another name I should try?
Old 06-17-2012, 08:31 AM

Mein Auto: 2006 650 convertible!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by blakedanatural View Post
I 've tried the search with no answer. I typed in transmission reset .Is there another name I should try?
Here you go, it is post #4 in the thread linked below.

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...ighlight=reset
Old 06-17-2012, 09:30 AM

Hello All,
After all of my concerns about this transmission malfunction and service engine soon light that occured on Friday. First I want to thank everyone for there help but I went outside this morning and started the car and everything was ok. WTF Guys! I started and restarted it multiple times and everything was a go. I took a chance and drove it around the block and then I took it to a long stretch road and trans switch gears like normal. So I never got to try the reset trans or anything. It is now 1230pm est so I will try it again in a couple of hours. My question to everyone is should I still follow through on my service appointment tomorrow or should I cancel if the lights doesn't come back on? Also Bimmerfest why did this happened? I was thinking my trans was gone after only 61oook. The car was in the shop for that recall issue with battery . That was done last week but that wouldnt have anything to do with tit right!

Thank you all again
Old 06-17-2012, 10:23 AM
Michael

Mein Auto: Black Sapphire BMW Z4 3L
It is still worth doing the transmission reset, even though things appear to be ok!!!!

Does my bum look good in this !
Old 06-18-2012, 08:17 AM

Mein Auto: 2007 BMW 650i
Blake, I have had the transmission error occur many times. I had BMW replace the speed sensor at one point, but I think that was not needed, as the error came back. These cars as you know are very heavyily dependant on an optimum battery power supply. I believe it has a lot to do with that issue. I am no expert though. I have not had the issue again since they did the battery harness recall. Whenever my car woudl have the transmission fault, it typically only took turning it off walking away and coming back and all was fine again. Hope this eases your mind a little about the transmission. I believe it is all electronic issues.