Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E36 (1991 - 1999)

E36 (1991 - 1999)
The E36 chassis 3-Series BMW was a huge hit among driving enthusiasts from the first moment the car hit the pavement. The E36 won numerous awards over the years it was produced and is still a favorite of many BMW enthusiasts to this day! -- View the E36 Wiki

Old 06-15-2012, 11:41 AM

Mein Auto: 1997 328i, 5-speed, Black
Buying first BMW

Sorry, another noob post

Someone I know well is offering me a 1997 328i 5-speed with some m3 parts on it for a good deal. I wouldn't have to hand out any cash on my end- just give him some of my photography gear. Only catch is it has 250k kms.

Is it recommended? I just want this one because I rather deal with someone I know who has taken good care of the car (although he isn't the first owner), has had plenty of experience with BMWs for years, and have a smooth transaction versus buying a Civic from someone I don't know over Craigslist and take their word, but I know BMWs are typically harder and more expensive to maintain than Hondas and Toyotas.

This will also be my first car, but I'd be willing to take good care of maintaining it well. I won't drive it much- maybe once or twice a week. I expect to put less than 5000 - 6000 kms on it/year and I'd want it to last me just for the next 2 - 4 years without having to spend like over 1000 - 2000 a year just maintaining it (which by then I'd be graduated and paid off my student loan). That is, I'd be happy if I can drive it to about 300k kms or so without it crapping out.

I read the sticky about e36s and did some research online, but it seems pretty daunting at first. I've never worked on cars before except for the simpler stuff such as oil changes, brakes, CD player, wipers, etc.

Last edited by forthewinwin; 06-15-2012 at 12:27 PM.
Ads by Google
Old 06-15-2012, 11:58 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: BMW
If you take care of IT.
There is NOWHERE it wont TAKE YOU.

edit:

Owners Manual.. download here

Bmw-Mania, Ladies and Gentlemen.
Old 06-15-2012, 12:08 PM
some kid

Mein Auto: whiny 318
How much is the gear worth?

Old 06-15-2012, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj.surr View Post
how much is the gear worth?
Old 06-15-2012, 12:31 PM
The Canadian Prick.

Mein Auto: '96 328is Cosmos
Then you'd be better off selling the gear privately and buying the car out right. What was he asking for the car in his ad?
Old 06-15-2012, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonesin View Post
Then you'd be better off selling the gear privately and buying the car out right. What was he asking for the car in his ad?
oh, he was asking 3800, and my gear is worth that.
Old 06-15-2012, 12:57 PM

Mein Auto: BMW
get him at 3K barter value.

Bmw-Mania, Ladies and Gentlemen.
Old 06-16-2012, 07:37 PM
New to this board

Mein Auto: 1995 BMW 325i
$3800 sounds high to me. I like the $3K idea.

I would get the engine checked out by a mechanic. If the body looks good and the engine is strong I think it may be great. Be aware the cooling system are very fragile on these, ask when that was done last (radiator, water pump , and hoses) and also take a good look at front suspension at that age (tie rod & LCA & Struts)
Old 06-17-2012, 03:08 AM

Mein Auto: 1998 BMW E36 328i,
Here in Calgary a car like that would have an asking price of $5,000. I dont know why, but i keep seeing ads for 96-98 328i's wanting $9,000!!

My 328 has 262,000 kms on it and still runs fine. Only parts of the cooling system ive had to replace was the water pump seals started leaking, and the thermostat went causing the car to start overheating. Other then that its been great mechanically. I believe one of the power steering hoses is leaking, but i dont ever see any drips on the ground. I plan to replace them soon anyway.

| OE M3 Bumper | M3 Mirrors | Jim Conforti CF CAI | UUC Motorwerks Underdrive Pulleys | 18x8 ASA AR1's | Koni Sport Springs & Shocks |

Founding Member of the Canyonrot Club! #343!
Old 06-19-2012, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DEATH2000 View Post
Here in Calgary a car like that would have an asking price of $5,000. I dont know why, but i keep seeing ads for 96-98 328i's wanting $9,000!!

My 328 has 262,000 kms on it and still runs fine. Only parts of the cooling system ive had to replace was the water pump seals started leaking, and the thermostat went causing the car to start overheating. Other then that its been great mechanically. I believe one of the power steering hoses is leaking, but i dont ever see any drips on the ground. I plan to replace them soon anyway.

Yeah I think 3k may be the price elsewhere. Here in the cities, prices tend to be inflated since people here tend to have more money. The 328i does have some M3 parts on it such as bumper, exhaust thing, steering wheel, etc.

The 3800 price doesn't worry me, it's the maintenance. I keep hearing mixed stories I have a friend who also has a 328i and he has never really had to change anything for a while and it has >200k kms. All he does is do his oil changes every 2-3k kms. I know another photography guy who never really has been changing anything either apart from stuff having to do with the cooling system every ~2 - 3 years, using his car for work everyday. Otherwise I keep hearing stories about expensive maintenance..