Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E53 (1999 - 2006)

X5 E53 (1999 - 2006)
The X5 SAV Forum

Old 06-12-2012, 03:38 AM

Mein Auto: 2002 X5 (E53)
Red face Multimedia Hard Drive Installation

Hey All, first post to forum but have been an avid reader for ages getting loads of useful info. Currently own a 2002 X5 in uk which still has mkIII Sat Nav and analogue TV ( I know!!! ). I specialize in IT and fairly DIY competent around cars. My aim is to reprogram OBC so it will have TV in Motion and have already ordered Everything I need to do this through the I-bus. That is the straight forward part of my plan. The next phase is to try and install a 1080i media player in the boot. I am planning on connecting an AV adapter to the TV unit under the spare wheel in the boot then connect the media player av cables through to the center console so both my passengers in the front and rear can have access to it to play media and watch digital tv through the Nav screen and headrest screens. I want to ensure all cables are hidden and already know how to do this. What I am stuck with is how to wire or install power to the media player so it turns on and off with the ignition? Unfortunately the current media player I have is powered via UK plug so is not currently car friendly. Is there anyone on here that has already installed a media player ( not just DVD but hard drive, and digital tv hybrid ) and how was it done? Any pics and a guide would be awesome but any info to help me with how I achieve this would be great.

Cheers, Morf
Advertisement
Old 06-12-2012, 05:49 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: x5 E53
I bought a cheap media player off ebay a couple of years ago for plugging into the house TV and use that in the car on long journeys as it runs off 5VDC, in the house it has aplug with transformer and in the car I use a 12VDC to 5VDC (tom tom sat nav in car charger) that plugs into the DVD player that is connected to the front screen and the rear screen.

Only problem that I found was the media player did not play all formats of downloaded films, so I am going to wire my laptop in as this will play all the formats and it is very easy to get in car chargers and VGA to RCA leads.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BMW-3-5-X5...item27c70f231a

with reverse camera

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BMW-Number...item2ebe5090f2

The above leads will allow you to add a device to the analogue TV tuner in the boot.

Digital TV - not found anybody who has a good signal when on the move, if this is what you are intending to do, I would not bother
Old 06-13-2012, 02:20 AM

Hiya phill20, I have also read about the digi tv not so good on the move. Thats why I thought I would op for a media player, kids and passenger can watch films on long journeys via films stored on hard drive ( no messy DVDs all around the X ) as well as the option to watch tv if the signal permits.
I didn't consider a laptop connection but I do like the idea of that. How are you considering connecting it and would it be plug an play or are you thinking permanent fixture?
Still haven't found a walk through guide on connecting media system to turn on an off with the ignition. Anyone else tried this yet?
Old 06-20-2012, 11:44 PM

Mein Auto: X5, 4.4,
I installed an MP3 aux lead (via CD plug in the rear) long enough up the front so I can extend it to where I slide an Ipad cover into the sunroof. I then made a small metal bracket to stop the ipad flapping about, plugged in the aux cable, and bingo, kids can watch movies on ipad, through car sound. Or, they plug in a Belkin 5 spoke adapter, and all 3 can wear their headphones, and the wife and I can cruise along in bliss. When we leave the X5, we just take the ipad out. Its all good.
Old 06-21-2012, 02:03 AM

Hiya KiaKaha, another idea to consider and I like the fact you can unplug and take with you. No sun roof in my X but might look into a middle console solution. Have you also tried it with an av lead to the av in port in the middle console? Might give that a try this weekend and report back if it works.
Old 06-21-2012, 02:38 AM

Mein Auto: X5, 4.4,
I did try the av port on that console but it's only right channel so the sound quality is awful. The beauty of the aux cable via the CD port is you can play any mp3 ie iPod etc, or plug in an iPad, or as you want, plug in a media player. Yep you give up the cd player, but I haven't played CDs for a few years now!! The only PITA is transferring all your media into the format the iPad uses, but once you're there, it's fantastic . From the iPad you can also send the video signal out to AV as well - so in theory it would support your headrests if you wanted to go that far with your setup