Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > Everything Else > Off-Topic

Off-Topic
Everything not about BMWs. Posts must be "primetime safe" and in good taste. No personal attacks allowed. Political posting is restricted to the Political Science forum!

Old 06-18-2012, 10:37 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2009 M3
If basically one buys the extra warranty from Apple then the warranty goes from 1 year to 3 years but at a price of course which is well North of $350+ taxes in the US. The bad part is that if the battery only holds 10-20% at any time before the 3 years are up then this is considered normal or basic wear and tear The worst part is it sets you back $200+ where in the past it was $129 to get replaced which now can only be done at the Apple shop. Basically unless the battery goes completely dead within 3 years you are out over $550 (or a new iPad) between the battery and the extra warranty you paid.

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2405921,00.asp
330ZHP Sold
330 Coupe Sold
Old 06-18-2012, 12:29 PM
Living a dream!

Mein Auto: 2011 535i
This is where the market is headed, the vast majority of people never upgrade their laptops. A couple of years from now, the market will follow.

Take the latest HTC phones, no user replaceable battery and no memory expansion. Where is the outcry?
Old 06-18-2012, 01:02 PM

Mein Auto: x
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneArch View Post
This is where the market is headed, the vast majority of people never upgrade their laptops. A couple of years from now, the market will follow.

Take the latest HTC phones, no user replaceable battery and no memory expansion. Where is the outcry?
Yes, I don't like it either, hence I'm holding off my upgrade EVO 3D till there's something I really like.

BTW many have compared GS3 with One X (Not EVO LTE) and favored GS3 because of replaceable battery and MicroSD Card slot - another proof that a smartphone can be slim, looks great and still very serviceable.

One difference between phones and laptop - it is more common for consumers to upgrade their phones every 2 years, but not laptops, or even tablets. To have an ultrabook / MacBook Air that needs to be plugged in constantly once the battery is dead is simply stupid, and paying another $100 or even more just to get the battery replaced is even worse.

I really dislike how the manufacturers are encouraging users to dump gadgets that are still in good conditions but hard to be serviced and maintained just because of the design. and the cost of replacing parts and servicing (read "cost of labor") isn't that far off than getting a brand new product. Sure the product lines and the companies are trying to be green, but they're really not from this perspective.

I've had my low-end Compaq laptop for 3.5 years now and it still works great. The battery lasts for 2+ hours and everything works responsively (take only approx 1 minute to cold-boot in Vista) with the exception of photo-editing, which I now use my Core i5 desktop. Recently I just took the whole thing apart to clean out the heatsink because of all the dust trapped there, and someone from work actually helped fixing the DVD RW drive (fixed, not replaced!). If I had to replace the drive, a used part would only cost me $12 from eBay, shipping included.

Last edited by Griffoun; 06-18-2012 at 01:26 PM.
Old 06-18-2012, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stylinexpat View Post
This dude really cracked me up tonight
Oh man I'm totally sold. Wait, I don't really understand what he's talking about.

On the other hand, I hope he's debt free too after buying all these gadgets while living in a crappy environment.

Last edited by Griffoun; 06-18-2012 at 01:16 PM.
Old 06-18-2012, 08:59 PM

Quote:

I was at the HTC service center in Taipei and complained about this. Quite a few others were complaining as well. There is an outcry for HTC alright as there stock went from around 1300 NT to just over 300 NT and the reason they have been losing market share and sales to Samsung is because Samsung offers user replaceable batteries and expandable memory with memory cards. HTC was very stupid by offering phones like the iPhone because with the Apple iPhone buyers on't have options if they want a phone running Apple IOS where as if people want an Android,Gingerbread or what ever Google is offering now end users have a variety of smartphone manufacturers to choose from. Those that don't buy iPhones and buy Google based smartphones either buy them because they don't like Apple's smartphones or because Apple's smartphones don't offer end user replaceable memory cards and batteries. With this in mind HTC was beyond stupid to offer a phone which does not offer users the ability to swap batteries and memory. This is the reason why Samsung's new Galaxy S3 will outsell the HTC One X/XL

HTC must have realized this just this week as they released a press conference announcing that they will now focus on high end models. The dumb nuts finally realized why they were losing market share and sales to Samsung.
330ZHP Sold
330 Coupe Sold
Old 06-18-2012, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Griffoun View Post
Yes, I don't like it either, hence I'm holding off my upgrade EVO 3D till there's something I really like.

BTW many have compared GS3 with One X (Not EVO LTE) and favored GS3 because of replaceable battery and MicroSD Card slot - another proof that a smartphone can be slim, looks great and still very serviceable.

One difference between phones and laptop - it is more common for consumers to upgrade their phones every 2 years, but not laptops, or even tablets. To have an ultrabook / MacBook Air that needs to be plugged in constantly once the battery is dead is simply stupid, and paying another $100 or even more just to get the battery replaced is even worse.

I really dislike how the manufacturers are encouraging users to dump gadgets that are still in good conditions but hard to be serviced and maintained just because of the design. and the cost of replacing parts and servicing (read "cost of labor") isn't that far off than getting a brand new product. Sure the product lines and the companies are trying to be green, but they're really not from this perspective.

I've had my low-end Compaq laptop for 3.5 years now and it still works great. The battery lasts for 2+ hours and everything works responsively (take only approx 1 minute to cold-boot in Vista) with the exception of photo-editing, which I now use my Core i5 desktop. Recently I just took the whole thing apart to clean out the heatsink because of all the dust trapped there, and someone from work actually helped fixing the DVD RW drive (fixed, not replaced!). If I had to replace the drive, a used part would only cost me $12 from eBay, shipping included.
In Asia most end users want something new every 1-2 years where in the US they want something to use for the long haul and also want to be able to fix it by themselves down the road. I know that here in Taiwan most people by new clothes for every season of the year and don't want to wear last year's clothes. With this in mind they prefer to buy cheap clothes that they could afford to change often because if they buy nice and durable clothes it will cost them a lot of money and by next year they will be wearing out of fashion clothes where in the US most people by jeans and wear them for years to come.

I don't believe or buy that Apple could not design a laptop that has user friendly features that allow end users the ability to change RAM,Batteries and SSD/HDD on their own. Just imagine car manufacturers making cars that could only be repaired or fixed at the original dealers and then only offering you a 1 year warranty.
330ZHP Sold
330 Coupe Sold
Old 06-19-2012, 01:58 PM
AMV Roady

Mein Auto: F01
Indeed, Ret display is ''just sic''. But... you'll be the one who gets sick when you see the repair bill
Old 06-19-2012, 02:41 PM
Bo-ma-win!

Send a message via Yahoo to beewang
Mein Auto: S62 E39
Quote:

Everyone I know who are sporting an HTC Evo 3G / 3D are sitting out for the GSIII

In fact... the only person that I know of that jump ship to HTC Evo LTE is TXSTLYES
Old 06-19-2012, 11:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HGilmore View Post
Indeed, Ret display is ''just sic''. But... you'll be the one who gets sick when you see the repair bill
Welcome back Nice to see you back here

Like owning one of these Nice until something goes wrong

330ZHP Sold
330 Coupe Sold
Old 06-20-2012, 07:25 AM
The King of Common Sense

Send a message via Skype™ to Dave 330i
Mein Auto:
this thread is so worthless.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	997_TT_06.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	170.3 KB
ID:	329907  
Old 06-20-2012, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave 330i View Post
Keep trolling and showing off...

Nice ride, Dave
Old 06-20-2012, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Your new Porsche? If so congrats.
330ZHP Sold
330 Coupe Sold
Old 06-20-2012, 12:12 PM
Bo-ma-win!

Send a message via Yahoo to beewang
Mein Auto: S62 E39
Quote:
Your new Porsche? If so congrats.
Don't be so gullible .. Do you REALLY thing the King of Common Sense would buy a P-car??
Old 06-20-2012, 04:34 PM
The King of Common Sense

Mein Auto:
Quote:
Originally Posted by beewang View Post
Don't be so gullible .. Do you REALLY thing the King of Common Sense would buy a P-car??
check with emission. he is my contact in CA.

Clarkson 911 Turbo at 200 mph
Old 06-20-2012, 04:38 PM

Mein Auto: German
Put in an order yesterday.

Won't get it until July 20th
Old 06-20-2012, 04:43 PM
The King of Common Sense

Mein Auto:
Oh no, another hijacker.
Old 06-20-2012, 08:56 PM

Quote:
check with emission. he is my contact in CA.

Clarkson 911 Turbo at 200 mph
Very nice 200 MPH Just the way I like to drive on a nice empty stretch of highway Mine was not quite 200 MPH as my car could not hit 200 MPH but I have hit 172 MPH Luckily for Clark that he wasn't in the US or he would have run into some Bastard eating donuts in the middle of no where hiding in some bushes like a snake
330ZHP Sold
330 Coupe Sold
Old 06-21-2012, 06:00 AM
The King of Common Sense

Mein Auto:
Quote:
Very nice 200 MPH Just the way I like to drive on a nice empty stretch of highway Mine was not quite 200 MPH as my car could not hit 200 MPH but I have hit 172 MPH Luckily for Clark that he wasn't in the US or he would have run into some Bastard eating donuts in the middle of no where hiding in some bushes like a snake
Not that it will make a difference, but soon to be some highways in TX will post 85 mph limit. The limiting factor in the USA from driving 200 mph is not the speed limit, but the quality of the roads. They suck when compared to Germany. It is a shame that the major highways in all of Europe are better than the ones in the USA.

Last edited by Dave 330i; 06-21-2012 at 06:07 AM.
Old 06-21-2012, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoUnion View Post
I'm gonna buy it.

anyone want my old MBP ?
Quote:
I can always use a free laptop. Should I PM you my mailing address?
Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoUnion View Post
Put in an order yesterday.

Won't get it until July 20th

I can wait till July 20 or later.

Still game?
Old 06-21-2012, 11:23 AM

Mein Auto: German
Quote:

I can wait till July 20 or later.