Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > Everything Else > Off-Topic

Off-Topic
Everything not about BMWs. Posts must be "primetime safe" and in good taste. No personal attacks allowed. Political posting is restricted to the Political Science forum!

Old 06-21-2012, 09:38 PM
Omni Extaris

Mein Auto: The Axles of Evil
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportsdad View Post
That reminds me of the New Jersey that I grew up in during my 7th/8th grade.
this explains a lot.

Heaven goes by favor; if it went by merit, you would stay out and your dog would go in.
Samuel Clemens

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=7800&dateline=1275495849
Old 06-21-2012, 09:49 PM
David

Mein Auto: E63 M6 & E92 335i
That is absolutely disgusting. I could only watch 30 seconds.

2008 E63 M6 - Black Sapphire - Sepang Bronze Full Merino - Carbon Fiber Trim - Alcantera Headliner - SMG - HUD - Soft Close Doors - Comfort Access - Individual Audio w/Sat and HD Radio
2009 E92 335i - Black Sapphire - Black Dakota - Burl Walnut - Sport - Premium - Cold Weather - Navigation - L7 - Comfort Access - Smoker's Package

Member: BMWCCA #471614
Old 06-21-2012, 10:20 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: BMW 530i
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulg View Post
I saw this type of behavior when I was in school back east when I was a kid.

Bullying is ignored and accepted.

Even of adults.

And people are surprised?

You can blame the kids all you like.

I blame the parents, the schools, and our culture for allowing this sh1t to go on.

Technology is changing the world in some ways for the better. 10 years ago we wouldn't have seen the video. The video is going viral on youtube and will be around for a very long time. Long enough to effect these kids job prospects. Millions of households are watching this video.

Dad is looking across the dinner table and tells Jr. he better not pull that sh*t or else. Jr says or else what? Dad says, or else use your frickin imagination.

citation-Get Shorty
Old 06-21-2012, 10:29 PM
Typical American

Mein Auto: 760Li
Quote:
Originally Posted by FIA View Post
Technology is changing the world in some ways for the better. 10 years ago we wouldn't have seen the video. The video is going viral on youtube and will be around for a very long time. Long enough to effect these kids job prospects. Millions of households are watching this video.

Dad is looking across the dinner table and tells Jr. he better not pull that sh*t or else. Jr says or else what? Dad says, or else use your frickin imagination.

citation-Get Shorty
Lol I've heard that line in my day, step dad didn't play around one Bit but looking back I wouldn't have changed a thing!

These kids need a realty check before they pull that crap on a big boy bus where someone might stand up and show them how it is in the real world.

Parents pay attention, if this was my child he would hate his life until 18.

Last edited by TannerSV; 06-21-2012 at 10:37 PM.
Old 06-21-2012, 10:38 PM

Old 06-21-2012, 10:40 PM
Typical American

Quote:
I hope she hits a million and just retires! An enjoys life with the ones who love her!!!
Old 06-22-2012, 03:13 AM

Mein Auto: 535xi
Well, at least two of the little scum bags had the decency to apologize. Conduct like this really makes me wonder if we should bring back public whippings.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/0...n_1617404.html
Old 06-22-2012, 07:34 AM
Typical American

Quote:
Originally Posted by PsychDoc1 View Post
Well, at least two of the little scum bags had the decency to apologize. Conduct like this really makes me wonder if we should bring back public whippings.

If they genuinely felt bad they would have apologized before the lynch mob was knocking at their doors...simple damage control.
Old 06-22-2012, 07:58 AM

Mein Auto: 92 325i
Like I tell my kids, sorry only works if you did something without purposelly knowing what you did is wrong. I love they "I know I painted the walls with toothpaste and frosting but Im sorry"

Sent from my thumb to your eyes
Primered Black 92' 325i. Ireland Engineering Header, Ireland Engineering Catback, TMS Underdrive pulleys, TMS chip, Bav auto fpr, Power Flow cai, Bav auto coil packs, Cool Carbon pads, Eiback springs, Bilstien Sport HD shocks/struts, 3.23 LSD, Understeer short shifter, 16'' Spal Fan, Goodridge Steel Brakelines, M3 Bumper, Black out grill, clear tails, M3 mirrors.
Old 06-22-2012, 08:10 AM
Here comes trouble!

Mein Auto: 2009 328i E90 :)
Quote:
Originally Posted by PsychDoc1 View Post

My grandfather was a principle of an elementary school in Germany many moons again. My dad used to tell me that when parents dropped off their kids for the first day of school, they'd routinely tell him that if they act out, just give them a good whooping! Now, I don't think whippings are the answer, but the better point is that back then, a clear message was sent by parents to children that they are on the side of the elders or people of authority, instead of on theirs if they acted out. It sent a message that it would not be tolerated in the house, nor at school. I don't think that message gets transmitted as much these days. Instead parents complain their kids get too much homework.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TannerSV View Post
If they genuinely felt bad they would have apologized before the lynch mob was knocking at their doors...simple damage control.
I agree but it IS a step in the right direction. They should not do prepared statements though but instead say it to her face. Instead they get another 15 minutes of fame on AC360. Good grief!

Quote:
Originally Posted by furby076 View Post
You will rue this day, RUE THIS DAY
Old 06-22-2012, 08:25 AM

Mein Auto: 08 M3, 12 335xDrive
These kids need to get their asses whooped right in front of their parents and then tell the parents, pay attention because you are next!

There is a horrible lack of discipline in our society and schools, parents, lawyers, the media, and tons of adults are perpetuating it. Heaven forbid that a kid learn that the world isn't candy and roses. Heaven forbid the kid not win every game. Heaven forbid the kid does something stupid and has to actually pay the consequences for his/her actions.

But it's east to see how this gets passed down when we have a society that most focus on not having to take te blame for their actions. Let the lawyers bend the truth and manipulate things so it's the employer's fault. Or this happened because govt didn't step in. I walk in front of a train and it's because it wasn't posted well enough. BS. It's because I was stupid and deserved getting hit. But reality isnt nice enough so we all get babied. Tsk Tsk
Old 06-22-2012, 10:21 AM

Mein Auto: 2009 M3
Quote:
I saw this type of behavior when I was in school back east when I was a kid.

Bullying is ignored and accepted.

Even of adults.

And people are surprised?

You can blame the kids all you like.

I blame the parents, the schools, and our culture for allowing this sh1t to go on.
Bullying seems to be the American thing these days whether it be Politically bullying,kid bullying or the average cop on the street bullying people that get pulled over a lot of bullying takes place in the US these days. Late in the evenings comedy shows start off with the TV host cracking jokes and laughing at others. The harder people laugh at these jokes the higher his ratings go. The more people an officer tickets and bullies the quicker he gets promoted. This video shows that all this starts at a very young age in the US.
330 Coupe Sold
Old 06-22-2012, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TannerSV View Post
I hope she hits a million and just retires! An enjoys life with the ones who love her!!!
She was only making 15K so I think that's a real probability.

525K and rising.

Last edited by FIA; 06-22-2012 at 11:01 AM.
Old 06-22-2012, 11:13 AM

Mein Auto: 2009 M3
Quote:
She was only making 15K so I think that's a real probability.

525K and rising.
She's rich now To get $500K for 10 minutes of jokes and laughing on the bus I think I'm in lol..
330 Coupe Sold

Last edited by stylinexpat; 06-22-2012 at 11:15 AM.
Old 06-22-2012, 12:28 PM
Renaissance Dude

Mein Auto: 1987 325i, 403K
Quote:
Originally Posted by jw View Post
It's already up to more than $270k and seems to be growing about $1k every 5 or 10 minutes.

http://www.indiegogo.com/projects/124322?i=pift
Can I get an account like that?

Great story, maybe she can retire as well. I've been seeing more and more retirement age people working. I saw a guy up in OlyWA, looked easily 65 or so, he had an orange vest on at a Safeway, bringing in shopping carts. Definitely looked entry level, one hopes he could move up to checker at some point.

Note to self: get that money making retirement hobby going now.

Dreamers, misfits, malcontents, finding the world not to their liking, imagine themselves perfectly suited for the world as it ought to be. anon
Old 06-23-2012, 08:20 AM

Mein Auto: 4Runner-BMW
Quote:
this explains a lot.
Why all the hate? (I have my theories, but I won't bring politics into the discussion)
I was from Minnesota when I moved out there. Most of the East coast kids behaved this way. Most, not all.
Old 06-23-2012, 02:11 PM
Worlds Foremost Authority

Mein Auto: 335i E93 - 750Lix
I grew up in Rochester. When I was a kid every adult was considered to be an authority figure that you respected and was not talk back to and if my parents found out that I had been disrespectful to one of the adults in the community I was going to be in big trouble. We were taught to be polite and respectful to all adults and unless they requested otherwise they were always addressed as Mr. and Mrs. I have fond memories of my friends and neighbors parents to this day. It was a wonderful place to grow up and I really did feel like I was living in Ozzie and Harriet's and Beaver Cleaver's world.

CA

Drivers Club at Lime Rock
The Glen Club
International Motor Racing Research Center
BMWCCA
Cayman Club Nor'Easters
Madison Ave. Sports Car Driving and Chowder Society (Only a Vice President)
Sports Car Club of America
Polish Racing Drivers of America (PRDA)
American Mural Project
Simeone Foundation Automotive Museum
Mount Washington Observatory
Society of Automotive Historians

Last edited by captainaudio; 06-23-2012 at 02:18 PM.
Old 06-23-2012, 02:21 PM
Beemin' in my Bimmer ;-)

Mein Auto: F30 335i MSpt- Mus GT 5.0
Quote:
Originally Posted by captainaudio View Post
I grew up in Rochester. When I was a kid every adult was considered to be an authority figure that you respected and was not talk back to and if my parents found out that I had been disrespectful to one of the adults in the community I was going to be in big trouble. We were taught to be polite and respectful to all adults and unless they requested otherwise they were always addressed as Mr. and Mrs. I have fond memories of my friends and neighbors parents to this day. It was a wonderful place to grow up and I really did feel like I was living in Ozzie and Harriet's and Beaver Cleaver's world.

CA
That's the America that once was. That's the America from my childhood memories. There are segments of society that are still like that today, but I'm afraid they are fewer and fewer.

Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. Will Rogers

2013 335i M Sport- EBII / BLACK / Dk Walnut
Pkgs-Prem/ DHP/ Tech/ DA/DA+ Opts- 8Sprt AT/ Htd FS/ HK/ Hi Bm Asst/ 403 19" w/perf

ED#2-04/23/13-
Photos:
https://picasaweb.google.com/mdsbuc/...eat=directlink
ED#1-10/10/05-
Photos:
https://picasaweb.google.com/mdsbuc/...eat=directlink
Old 06-23-2012, 02:26 PM
Worlds Foremost Authority

Mein Auto: 335i E93 - 750Lix
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdsbuc View Post
That's the America that once was. That's the America from my childhood memories. There are segments of society that are still like that today, but I'm afraid they are fewer and fewer.
I hope you are wrong but suspect you are right.

CA

Drivers Club at Lime Rock
The Glen Club
International Motor Racing Research Center
BMWCCA
Cayman Club Nor'Easters
Madison Ave. Sports Car Driving and Chowder Society (Only a Vice President)
Sports Car Club of America
Polish Racing Drivers of America (PRDA)
American Mural Project
Simeone Foundation Automotive Museum
Mount Washington Observatory
Society of Automotive Historians
Old 06-24-2012, 07:46 AM
Brevity= the soul of wit

Mein Auto: You've*got*to be kidding
I've already said it once:
Quote:
Originally Posted by PropellerHead View Post
Where do we think bullies learn the behavior? Parents. Every parent who makes fun of another adult for some perceived short fall- too tall, too short, too skinny, too fat, too white, too black, too yellow, too brown, too much hair, too little hair, too fast, too slow, too NYC, too Cali, too southern, too northern, too smart, too dumb, too left, too right, too this, too that... *Every time* a parent does this for his child to see, a child records it. He will play it back for his friends every time he has the chance. Why? Because it must be right if the person who taught me rt from wrong does it every day.

We want to get to the solution? Stop showing our kids they have license to disrespect someone in your personal, real, full color life b/c BOTH parents abuse the same perceptions right in front of them. Children's bullies aren't the problem. Their parents are.
Old 06-24-2012, 10:56 PM
You Lick It, You Own It

Send a message via ICQ to chivas Send a message via AIM to chivas
Mein Auto: 98 540i/6
I was having this conversation with the gf tonight about kids from 11 to 24(ish). While parenting is a problem, sometimes it is not the parents but the way technology transformed everything and everyone.
need to write a paper and do research when i was growing up required me to ride my bike (in the cold, rain or blazing hot sun) to the library only to find that one book I needed was taken out and i'm SOL.
who remembers dewey decimal system?
printer? what printer? it's called a typewriter and if were really fancy, you got one with what they call "word processor" built in.

then it all changed. Moore and his 18 month rule. Think about it. in 18 months, what was fast is meow slow and what is considered "enough storage" is just laughable. technology made everything accessible to everyone at anytime. Parenting before was difficult enough and now you have phones where kids can watch violent videos and think it's A-OK. My 12 year old cousin watches youtube and wiki-crap all day long. what makes her parents or me think she's not watching something else? times were simple so problems were simple and we just had "deal with it". telling a kid now to "deal with it", be ready for a tamper tantrum from hell.

i bet our parents said the same thing when the VCR came along. what was once a family event turned into a "when i'm ready" event. and so life goes on. by solving one problem we created two. solve the two we get four.

i'm all for progress but i don't think we thought out the ramifications of progress itself.

It takes a lot of work to be lazy.
Old 06-25-2012, 12:13 AM
Omni Extaris

Mein Auto: The Axles of Evil
Quote:
Originally Posted by PropellerHead View Post
I've already said it once:
we also tolerate it.

"they're only kids".

It's not just that kids learn from their parents to bully.

They also learn they will get away with it.

Why do bullies do this stuff?

Because they can.

Heaven goes by favor; if it went by merit, you would stay out and your dog would go in.
Samuel Clemens

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=7800&dateline=1275495849
Old 06-25-2012, 01:35 AM

Mein Auto: 2001 bmw x5 3.0i
Well, all I can say is this generation im in disgusting. Im 19, when I graduated high school my parents didn't come to the ceremony. Because they said high school Is nothing and a hs diploma will not get you any where in life. and thats completely true parents are lowering their standards. It was never ok for me to a "B". Heck if I got an "E" I would meet my worst enemy. ( the belt) when parent teacher conferences was around, I would be ****ing bricks wondering what He/she was going to say. my parents always took the teachers side. If the teacher told my father some thing I did bad behavior or grades, I would have to meet the belt again. My father was a fair man, he taught me that any thing I did has a consequence, good or bad.(for me it was mostly bad, I was a trouble maker but I never disrespected any one) what ever I did bad, a good whiping set me straight. when I was about to mess around I could all most feel the whipping on its way.
my parents were never intimidated by their kids, and thats whats wrong with this generation. Parents are affraid of their kids, afraid of being "to hard on them". that is bs. Kids will always do stupid things thats part of being a kid, but how will they know whats right and wrong with out consequences to teach them. Parents have to be strict with their kids.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Bimmer App
Old 06-25-2012, 11:50 AM
Renaissance Dude

Mein Auto: 1987 325i, 403K
Quote:
Originally Posted by stylinexpat View Post
Bullying seems to be the American thing these days whether it be Politically bullying,kid bullying or the average cop on the street bullying people that get pulled over a lot of bullying takes place in the US these days. Late in the evenings comedy shows start off with the TV host cracking jokes and laughing at others. The harder people laugh at these jokes the higher his ratings go. The more people an officer tickets and bullies the quicker he gets promoted. This video shows that all this starts at a very young age in the US.
Simon Cowell has become quite rich in no small part to being a bully with a rapier sharp tongue.

Dreamers, misfits, malcontents, finding the world not to their liking, imagine themselves perfectly suited for the world as it ought to be. anon
Old 06-25-2012, 03:05 PM
The Entertainment Guru

Send a message via Yahoo to TXSTYLE
Mein Auto: 750i (F01)
Over $600k as of today!