Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E39 (1997 - 2003)

E39 (1997 - 2003)
The BMW 5-Series (E39 chassis) was introduced in the United States as a 1997 model year car and lasted until the 2004 when the E60 chassis was released. The United States saw several variations including the 525i, 528i, 530i and 540i. -- View the E39 Wiki

Old 06-23-2012, 04:06 PM

Mein Auto: 2000 540i ///M Sport
Exclamation Intermittent ABS light issue

Hello to all,
I did a front brake job on my 98 528i two weeks ago and since doing it I have been having an issue with my ABS warning light coming on and immediately deactivates the ASC. Completely intermittent, comes and goes. I do know the new brake sensor is not working as I still have brake wear indicator on. Is a fautly wear sensor to blame? Has anyone else seen anything like this? The brakes feel just as strong as they always do and the pedal isn't spongy or anything so I don't think there is air in my lines. Anyway, any and all help is appreciated!
Advertisement
Old 06-23-2012, 05:27 PM
Gearhead

Mein Auto: '98 528i, '82 323i
If you still have operational speedometer and your cruise control works when the ABS and traction control light (triangle icon) comes on, then it's safe to say that you have a faulty ABS sensor causing your intermittent problem. WHen you serviced the front brakes, you should have also seen another sensor attached to the back side of the wheel hub. If you trace that wire, it leads to a connector attached to the inner fender well. Sometimes, the connector comes loose, sometimes, over time, the wire at the connector is severed.
I would diagnose the wire for chafing or a sever. 9 out of 10, an intermittent ABS warning light is due to a sensor wire damage.
Old 06-23-2012, 08:07 PM

Mein Auto: 2000 540i ///M Sport
Thanks for the advice. Do you think that maybe replacing the sensor with a good one might sort out the problem?
Old 06-24-2012, 05:05 PM
Gearhead

Mein Auto: '98 528i, '82 323i
Yes, a good sensor will eliminate the warning light.
Chances are good that because you're seeing intermittent warning, the wire between the sensor and the block connector is pinched, or severed. The sensor itself is most likely fine.\And if you can find the location where the wire is frayed, cut, etc...you can simply resolder/reconnect the connection and not have to buy a new sensor. last I checked an ABS sensor is about $100.