Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > The Best of Bimmerfest! > Tire Rack's Tires, Wheels, Brakes & Suspension

Tire Rack's Tires, Wheels, Brakes & Suspension
Discuss everything about wheels, tires, suspension and brakes for your BMW.

Sponsored by The Tirerack. Moderated by Gary@Tirerack.com

Old 10-07-2011, 07:30 PM

Mein Auto: Current 318i Future 335i
Steering issue after replacing rear tires.

Hello,

I have a 335i and I recently replaced my stock rear Bridgestone Potenza runflats with Continental ExtremeContact DWS and have noticed some serious tramlining on the highways. Steering feels squirrelly as opposed to the tight precise feel that I was accostumed to, especially at highway speeds. Is this because I'm running my original runflats in the front with the new Conti non-runflats in the rear? I asked several tire places if this would be ok, and they said it was fine. Now I'm wondering if I should replace my fronts with matching Contis or if I should replace my rears with new Potenza runflats. Anyone have any advice? Thanks in advance.
Ads by Google
Old 10-08-2011, 09:17 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '09 335xi coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by kerwin22 View Post
Hello,

I have a 335i and I recently replaced my stock rear Bridgestone Potenza runflats with Continental ExtremeContact DWS and have noticed some serious tramlining on the highways. Steering feels squirrelly as opposed to the tight precise feel that I was accostumed to, especially at highway speeds. Is this because I'm running my original runflats in the front with the new Conti non-runflats in the rear? I asked several tire places if this would be ok, and they said it was fine. Now I'm wondering if I should replace my fronts with matching Contis or if I should replace my rears with new Potenza runflats. Anyone have any advice? Thanks in advance.
Were the run flats summer tires? You will notice a little more play with the all seasons compared to summer tires.

'09 335i xDrive Coupe - Space Grey / Black Leather / Alum. Trim / Sport / Premium / 18'' wheels / Cold Weather / CA / Nav / iPod / Logic 7 / PPK1
Old 10-08-2011, 08:23 PM

Mein Auto: Current 318i Future 335i
Yes, the runflats were summer tires. They were the 18" Bridgestone Potenza's RFTs that originally came with the car (sport package).
Old 10-09-2011, 06:41 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '09 335xi coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by kerwin22 View Post
Yes, the runflats were summer tires. They were the 18" Bridgestone Potenza's RFTs that originally came with the car (sport package).
Thats why. You should replace all 4 tires. Summer tires get very hard and lose traction when temps get below 40F. Also new tires shed their molding compound for the first 500 miles, so their will be some extra play in new tires.

'09 335i xDrive Coupe - Space Grey / Black Leather / Alum. Trim / Sport / Premium / 18'' wheels / Cold Weather / CA / Nav / iPod / Logic 7 / PPK1
Old 10-10-2011, 06:12 AM

Mein Auto: 1995 BMW M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by blubaron79 View Post
thats why. You should replace all 4 tires. Summer tires get very hard and lose traction when temps get below 40f. Also new tires shed their molding compound for the first 500 miles, so their will be some extra play in new tires.
+1.

Old 06-24-2012, 03:46 PM

Mein Auto: 320i
I have just purchased a 2006 320i, the dealer replaced the rear tyres. On the way home the car was tramming terribly on the highway. They have put different tyres on the rear to what the front is running i wonder if this is causing the problem?
Old 06-25-2012, 05:24 AM

Mein Auto: 1995 BMW M3
Yes, as many others have found, mixing tires can cause unstable handling.