Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > The Best of Bimmerfest! > BMW Coding and Programming

BMW Coding and Programming
Discuss coding options and features on your BMW here.

Old 06-17-2012, 02:18 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee
F25 2011 X3 Driver/Passenger restraint system error.

I started to change some of the coding for the Seat belt and in my "brain fart" thinking I didn't save or write down all of my changes. When I turn the vehicle on I get a driver and passenger restraint system error and it states I should keep my seatbelts on. It is a possibility that I changed something that I shouldn't have so I may have really screwed myself.

Is there a way to return to default settings?

Here are a couple of screen shots of some of the settings I was playing with:

Thanks, Kevin

Last edited by bigsarge; 06-17-2012 at 02:24 PM.
Ads by Google
Old 06-17-2012, 02:44 PM

Mein Auto: F10 M5
Kevin,

Did you back up your CAF files before starting the coding? If so you can just use it to roll back your changes.
Old 06-17-2012, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamCar View Post
Kevin,

Did you back up your CAF files before starting the coding? If so you can just use it to roll back your changes.
No, I forgot to do that and now I am so kicking myself in the ass. I am wondering if the error will go away after a few start ups. I did put the SeatBeltReminder back to activ along with the Gurtz......_GWF_GZA_FA/BF back to activ.

I think it is because I messed with Gurtstrammer_Fahrer and _Beifaher. Do you have those and what are default settings?

Thanks for any help you can give me.
Old 06-17-2012, 02:58 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 550i GT/X5 35d
If you didn't back up, you can use my method (get a backup of your CURRENT file first) of creating a 'factory' .ncd file. it's described in one of the threads below. I have used it on my F07 to reset my KOMBI to factory mode and it worked for me....
Old 06-17-2012, 03:21 PM

I put everything back to original (I think) and I am assuming that the error will go away eventually. (I hope)

From what I can tell the Gurtstrammer_Fahrer and _Beifaher are activate/deactivate airbags. (Hence the error). If it doesn't I will take it to the BMW dealership.

Kevin
Old 06-17-2012, 05:04 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 535i M-Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigsarge View Post
I put everything back to original (I think) and I am assuming that the error will go away eventually. (I hope)

From what I can tell the Gurtstrammer_Fahrer and _Beifaher are activate/deactivate airbags. (Hence the error). If it doesn't I will take it to the BMW dealership.

Kevin
Did you try using CODE on Kombi instead of Code FDL? It should apply the default settings based on the VO.

- 2011 535i M-Sport (Born 10/10) - AW/BLK/DW - /ZMP (w/ARS, EDC, DHP, & AD) /ZPP /ZP2 (w/ZPS & ZPT) /ZCV (w/SCAD) /6FL /6VC
- Mods - M5 343M 20" Forged Wheels / 6WB MFID / 2TB SAT / 4U1 Ceramic / 6NR Apps / PDV 5k Fogs / Rear Fogs / Euro Tail Lights / Cyba Quad Tips
Old 06-17-2012, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawnsheridan View Post
Did you try using CODE on Kombi instead of Code FDL? It should apply the default settings based on the VO.
No but I will try tomorrow. I have to work tonight. Anything special to do this?

Anybody know what the default settings for these are:
Gurtstrammer_Fahrer and _Beifaher

Thanks,

Kevin ::
Old 06-17-2012, 07:23 PM

Quote:
No but I will try tomorrow. I have to work tonight. Anything special to do this?

Thanks,

Since you aren't changing the VO, no. Just read the VO (FA), activate FA, and then right-click on Kombi and select Code.

- 2011 535i M-Sport (Born 10/10) - AW/BLK/DW - /ZMP (w/ARS, EDC, DHP, & AD) /ZPP /ZP2 (w/ZPS & ZPT) /ZCV (w/SCAD) /6FL /6VC
- Mods - M5 343M 20" Forged Wheels / 6WB MFID / 2TB SAT / 4U1 Ceramic / 6NR Apps / PDV 5k Fogs / Rear Fogs / Euro Tail Lights / Cyba Quad Tips
Old 06-17-2012, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Since you aren't changing the VO, no. Just read the VO (FA), activate FA, and then right-click on Kombi and select Code.
Thanks Shawn. I really learned my lesson on this one. The thing is I should have known better but I just started to change some things and then "oh crap!" I should have made backups.

Kevin
Old 06-18-2012, 03:38 PM

@1STBimmer
I followed your instructions on making "default" CAFs
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=626447
I then installed the backup CAFs and cycled the key and still have the same error.
The backups are saved with a 0_ in front of the name so I just took that out of the name so it would be exactly the same.

@shawn
I followed your instructions after I did the above and coded the KOMBI. I take it that it is a master reset and should reset the error.

This is my two cents on what I think is happening:
1. The error has a RED display and will need a reset by BMW
2. or After a few drive cycles the error MIGHT go away.

This is definetely what I am going to do in the future:
SAVE THE FILES, CHANGE ONE AT A TIME, AND WRITE IT DOWN!!!

Thanks for all your help and if anybody has any other suggestions I would appreciate it.

Kevin

Last edited by bigsarge; 06-18-2012 at 04:08 PM.
Old 06-18-2012, 04:40 PM

Quote:
@1STBimmer
I then installed the backup CAFs and cycled the key and still have the same error.
The backups are saved with a 0_ in front of the name so I just took that out of the name so it would be exactly the same.

@shawn
I followed your instructions after I did the above and coded the KOMBI. I take it that it is a master reset and should reset the error.

Thanks for all your help and if anybody has any other suggestions I would appreciate it.

Kevin
It's not quite clear to me. You tried CODE based on the VO, and it did not clear the error? If that is the case, I'm at a loss. Either the error goes away on its own, needs to be reset by the dealer, of the module needs to be flashed, and I am not sure how to do that in E-Sys yet.

Old 06-18-2012, 05:32 PM

Quote:
It's not quite clear to me. You tried CODE based on the VO, and it did not clear the error? If that is the case, I'm at a loss. Either the error goes away on its own, needs to be reset by the dealer, of the module needs to be flashed, and I am not sure how to do that in E-Sys yet.
I read the Vehicle Order (VO) file, Read VCM, Activated FA, in SVT section I right clicked on KOMBI and selected CODE. Is this correct???

Thanks for your patience and help!
Old 06-18-2012, 05:37 PM

Quote:
I read the Vehicle Order (VO) file, Read VCM, Activated FA, in SVT section I right clicked on KOMBI and selected CODE. Is this correct???

Yes, you will know if it worked as all your custom FDL coding will be lost.

Old 06-18-2012, 08:56 PM

Mein Auto: 550i GT/X5 35d
Quote:

I would try coding the module that caused the error as well, not only KOMBI. Kombi just displays error (as does HU_CIC) but if the module is still causing an error then it will display again....?

@shawn
About flashing modules...I've flashed new CAFD releases using the 'code' button as long as the SWFL didn't change but haven't tried executing a TAL. It asks for the I-level/Target I-level and I don't want to mess up my car yet.

I also found a document on the coding website that explains how to flash sw using TAL execution but it's all in German.

I'll post it later and see if there's a good fella that will help translate it for us.
Old 06-19-2012, 04:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1STBimmer View Post
I would try coding the module that caused the error as well, not only KOMBI. Kombi just displays error (as does HU_CIC) but if the module is still causing an error then it will display again....?

@shawn
About flashing modules...I've flashed new CAFD releases using the 'code' button as long as the SWFL didn't change but haven't tried executing a TAL. It asks for the I-level/Target I-level and I don't want to mess up my car yet.

I also found a document on the coding website that explains how to flash sw using TAL execution but it's all in German.

I'll post it later and see if there's a good fella that will help translate it for us.
Yes, good point. I would CODE the ACSM module, or whatever the Seatbelt module in the F25 is.

What is the process you use to Flash new CAFD onto a module?

Old 06-23-2012, 02:06 PM

Mein Auto: E70 X5 35i Sport Activity
This happened to me when playing around with the seat belt reminders. I had 4 errors in my check-control and could only get it reset at the dealer.

Having talked with a few tech guys at my dealer though, it sounds like if you do what Shawn says (CODE ASCM) you should be fine.

Bottom line is that ASCM is way too risky in my opinion and the way I ended up getting around the seat belt annoyance was to play with the reminder timer (it is explained in cheat sheet v3) and I set it to "1". Now I get only one gong and the visual warning to buckle up and it stops.

- 2013 X5 35i Sport Activity (Born 08/12) - Titanium Silver /Oyster Nevada /Dark Bamboo - ZCV /ZCW /ZPS /Sport Package /Adaptive Drive /Soft-Close Doors/Running Boards /HUD /Shift Paddles /Comfort Seats /6NR /6NF
- 2011 535i (Born 08/10) - Titanium Silver /Black Dakota /Anthracite - ZCV /ZCW /ZPP /ZP2 /6FL /6NF (Sold 08/12)
- 2010 335i (Born 02/10) - Titanium Silver /Black Dakota - ZCW /ZPP /6FL (Sold 09/10)
- 2007 328i (Born 07/07) - Jet Black /Black Dakota - ZSP /ZPP /6FL (Sold 04/10)
Old 06-23-2012, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grilodan View Post
This happened to me when playing around with the seat belt reminders. I had 4 errors in my check-control and could only get it reset at the dealer.

Having talked with a few tech guys at my dealer though, it sounds like if you do what Shawn says (CODE ASCM) you should be fine.

Bottom line is that ASCM is way too risky in my opinion and the way I ended up getting around the seat belt annoyance was to play with the reminder timer (it is explained in cheat sheet v3) and I set it to "1". Now I get only one gong and the visual warning to buckle up and it stops.
I did CODE the ACSM and still have the error. I am taking it to the dealership on Monday to reset it and also the throttle hesitation. I am not going to do that again but I will do some others still. Right now it is back to original configuration until the dealer resets the error.

Kevin
Old 06-25-2012, 03:13 PM

Mein Auto: X3 2011
Quote:

Thanks,

I will post the original settings in the evening. I have saved all my original files in a separate folder.

Yesterday I tried also to disable Seat Belt Warning on my 2011 X3 and noticed that settings in ACSM didnt work though all got processed with no error thru CODE FDL. I reverted back to original file. There seems to be some thing different with 2011 X3 settings for Seat Belt.

The other settings you are referring to are for Seat Belt tensions and not for air bags as you said.
Old 06-25-2012, 03:26 PM

Quote:
@1STBimmer

@shawn

Kevin
To protect myself, I have developed a small utility "Copy_CAF_v2" that takes a back up of CAF files and saves them in a folder with date and time stamp. This helps me a lot. First time when I started coding, my first task was to read all the ncd files and after that I took a copy. Now onwards, whenever I make a change and transfer is successful, I take a copy again. This way I have a seried of date/ time stamped folders. In addition to that, I have maintained an excel sheet, showing when and what I changed.
Old 06-25-2012, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by April1 View Post
To protect myself, I have developed a small utility "Copy_CAF_v2" that takes a back up of CAF files and saves them in a folder with date and time stamp. This helps me a lot. First time when I started coding, my first task was to read all the ncd files and after that I took a copy. Now onwards, whenever I make a change and transfer is successful, I take a copy again. This way I have a seried of date/ time stamped folders. In addition to that, I have maintained an excel sheet, showing when and what I changed.
Is this utility a batch file or did you write and compile something? I like the idea of automatic Date/Time stamped folders, so I'm interested in trying it out, if you will share it.

Old 06-25-2012, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Is this utility a batch file or did you write and compile something? I like the idea of automatic Date/Time stamped folders, so I'm interested in trying it out, if you will share it.
Its a batch file, you can run it directly or through External Application of E-Sys. The purpose of writing a batch file was that one can easily edit the installation directory of E-Sys and also change the location of copied files if needed. It reads the date format from the registry and parse the date time and creates a folder accordingly. It works only on Win XP and Win 7 and should work with any formatting of date.

Following are assumed:

Original CAF file locations is: C:\ESysData\CAF
Copied CAF files get stored under folder: C:\My_CAF_Files

Change them if you have diffrent locations.

This site is not accepting bat, zip or txt files so I converted extension from bat to pdf and attaching it. Please revert back to bat and use it and let me know if it works.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Copy_VCF_v2.pdf (2.5 KB, 506 views)

Last edited by April1; 06-25-2012 at 06:02 PM.
Old 06-26-2012, 01:46 AM

Quote:
I will post the original settings in the evening. I have saved all my original files in a separate folder.

Yesterday I tried also to disable Seat Belt Warning on my 2011 X3 and noticed that settings in ACSM didnt work though all got processed with no error thru CODE FDL. I reverted back to original file. There seems to be some thing different with 2011 X3 settings for Seat Belt.

The other settings you are referring to are for Seat Belt tensions and not for air bags as you said.
Thanks. I took my X3 to the dealership and they said the module for the airbags was bad and changed it. They also upgraded the software since I had a throttle lag issue. Maybe it was just coincidence that the error happened same time as me trying to do some coding?

Kevin
Old 06-26-2012, 07:17 AM

Quote:
Its a batch file, you can run it directly or through External Application of E-Sys. The purpose of writing a batch file was that one can easily edit the installation directory of E-Sys and also change the location of copied files if needed. It reads the date format from the registry and parse the date time and creates a folder accordingly. It works only on Win XP and Win 7 and should work with any formatting of date.

Following are assumed:

Original CAF file locations is: C:\ESysData\CAF
Copied CAF files get stored under folder: C:\My_CAF_Files

Change them if you have different locations.

This site is not accepting bat, zip or txt files so I converted extension from bat to pdf and attaching it. Please revert back to bat and use it and let me know if it works.
Thanks! I like it. I ran it just now, twice, and it worked. I got 43 CAFD files each time in the following two Date / Time stamped folders:

C:\My_CAF_Files\CAF_ 2012- 06- 26-08-57-50

C:\My_CAF_Files\CAF_ 2012- 06- 26-09-03-18

Thanks for sharing.

Old 06-26-2012, 07:20 AM

Quote:
Thanks. I took my X3 to the dealership and they said the module for the airbags was bad and changed it. They also upgraded the software since I had a throttle lag issue. Maybe it was just coincidence that the error happened same time as me trying to do some coding?

Kevin
Pretty odd coincidence...but I'm glad to hear the dealer handled it without detecting and blaming your Coding for it. Can you confirm that the "Air Bag" module they replaced was in fact the ACSM module?

Old 06-26-2012, 07:31 AM

Quote:
Thanks! I like it. I ran it just now, twice, and it worked. I got 43 CAFD files each time in the following two Date / Time stamped folders:

C:\My_CAF_Files\CAF_ 2012- 06- 26-08-57-50

C:\My_CAF_Files\CAF_ 2012- 06- 26-09-03-18

Thanks for sharing.
I am so happy too. Please share it with others too.