Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E30 (1982 - 1993)

E30 (1982 - 1993)
God's Chariot. The E30 was produced primarily from 1982 through 1991. The cabriolet was the one exception which was produced through 1993.

Old 06-22-2012, 06:53 AM

Mein Auto: SC300
Have quick questions B4 running to go most likely buy an e30!!

Whats up guys. I will be hopefully picking up my new project SOON. ran across this deal and must have it. its a complete running e30 with 200,000 miles on it and a lot of goodies. motor is bone stock.

325i
manual
4door

Obviously after a thick head gasket, arp's, turbo kit, supporting fuel mods and tune...
Is it true the stock internals and valvetrain in these m20's hold 300-400 horsepower?
I've herd some stories... are their more???

does anyone what the 4 door e30 weights in at?

thats all really... i know i want it lol.

Thanks people!

SORRY if these questions could have been found with some searching. Im jammed on time and well i just.......
Advertisement
Old 06-22-2012, 07:36 AM
D'oh, You kids!

Mein Auto: 1995 318is / 1993 325is
2450lbs, give or take.

Can't help with the rest.

Ken Kanne, Silverhill, AL, E36 Forum Mod/Craigslist addict/Hoarder of all sorts of stuff
BMW-CCA #441426
1995 318is "Bebe"; 1993 325is "Elvira" 1985 635CSi "Katja" 1984 633CSi "Sylvia"
HAVE I HAD MY MEDS YET?

Old 06-22-2012, 08:03 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 88 M3x2 86 330i 4 e36's
Quote:
Originally Posted by hornhospital View Post
2450lbs, give or take.

Can't help with the rest.
Closer to 2850, still light as far as RWD cars go. On par for most smaller 80's sports sedans.

http://e30world.com/specifications/BMW-E30-specs-table

I would not add FI to a stock 200K engine with out rebuilding the head and doing new rings plus bearings on the bottom end of the engine. Unless you want to tear it apart a few months down the road.

Do it once do it right, don't be cheap. There is a bunch of turbo build on www.e30tech.com more there than www.r3vlimited.com but they are growing too. R3V tends to be a 24v swap site and Tech is a Turbo site.

I have two 24V swap cars one has a supercharger setup the other is a plain jane dd car.
Old 06-22-2012, 11:08 AM

ok I got some more time. i get to look at it later tonight.

alright cool thanks guys. 2450lbs i wish man!! im guessing thats the weight of the 2 door...
either way its a light car and that is definitely one of the reasons i like this these E30's.

he says it has the Z3 steering rack swap, i am really excited to see what that feels like!! anyone have it done or know about it?
thanks for the links. i will be searching

here is the description of the car on CL. what do you think? any opinions welcome!

Never broken down while I have owned it. Runs strong, reliable.

200616 miles Manual transmission Clear title In the last 4000 miles the following have been replaced;
spark plugs
spark plug wires
o2 sensor
fuel pressure regulator
distributor rotor & cap
coolant temp sensor
transmission fluid
differential fluid
radiator
timing belt
water pump
bleeder screw
fan clutch
front and rear struts (Bilstein Sports)
front and rear springs (H&R Sports)
control arms and bushings.
Muffler
Air filter
Battery

Other goodies on the car;
14" Basketweaves
Z3 steering rack swap
Late model bumper and valance
Rear bumper is tucked
Trunk tar has been removed
IE front strut brace
Turner Chip 91 octane chip
Old 06-22-2012, 02:45 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 88 M3x2 86 330i 4 e36's
Early 318i M1o might weight that but an m20 car does not weigh that not even an EU spec car. the weight difference between 2 door and 4 door is less than 90 lbs.
Old 06-22-2012, 09:05 PM
D'oh, You kids!

Mein Auto: 1995 318is / 1993 325is
You're right. I shouldn't look up stuff with my glasses off.

2850 for the '87 sedan.

Source: http://e30world.com/specifications/BMW-E30-specs-table

Ken Kanne, Silverhill, AL, E36 Forum Mod/Craigslist addict/Hoarder of all sorts of stuff
BMW-CCA #441426
1995 318is "Bebe"; 1993 325is "Elvira" 1985 635CSi "Katja" 1984 633CSi "Sylvia"
HAVE I HAD MY MEDS YET?

Old 06-22-2012, 11:18 PM
E34 Converted E30 Fanatic

Send a message via MSN to _Ethrty-Andy_
Mein Auto: E34 Touring AC Schnitzer
Quote:
Originally Posted by is300ss View Post
alright cool thanks guys. 2450lbs i wish man!! im guessing thats the weight of the 2 door...
either way its a light car and that is definitely one of the reasons i like this these E30's.

he says it has the Z3 steering rack swap, i am really excited to see what that feels like!! anyone have it done or know about it?
thanks for the links. i will be searching
you can get an E30 sub-1000kg with an M20, but at street spec about 1150 is about the lowest you will go. this is from what ive read. Im looking forward to weighing mine some time in the next week or so. Removing the trunk tar alone which you have done gets rid of about 20-30kg. My 316i came factory without that luckily. Iirc the minimum weight in the E30 race series here in NZ is 1050kg, and a lot meet that with a 6 point cage and ballasts installed.

aparently the Z3 rack is a big improvement and a very common mod though they are getting quite sought after now with a price to match. The E46 Ti rack is supposed to be very close in ratio with a price tag far less.

E30 above Sold

E34 V12 Project Thread Here: http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...=502437&page=4
Last updated 2nd January 2014
Old 06-25-2012, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Ethrty-Andy_ View Post
you can get an E30 sub-1000kg with an M20, but at street spec about 1150 is about the lowest you will go. this is from what ive read. Im looking forward to weighing mine some time in the next week or so. Removing the trunk tar alone which you have done gets rid of about 20-30kg. My 316i came factory without that luckily. Iirc the minimum weight in the E30 race series here in NZ is 1050kg, and a lot meet that with a 6 point cage and ballasts installed.

aparently the Z3 rack is a big improvement and a very common mod though they are getting quite sought after now with a price to match. The E46 Ti rack is supposed to be very close in ratio with a price tag far less.

thanks for the details. either way its going to be a lot lighter and more nimble than my fat as SC. I love the E30... i cant wait!

Well i got blown off by the guy. drove 40 miles north of town only to have him not answer the phone or any text...
I get a text the next morning saying "sorry I dropped my phone in some water as soon as i answered your last text, I am leaving town today, i will be back in a week and a half if your still interested then"
something tells me he's not selling the car under his own will...
must be why its priced high as well.
do you guys think its priced high? i was gonna go as high as 2k just cuz i really like it... plus it sounds like he has 800-1k into it...

Z3 STEERING RACK......
Is it a direct fit plug and play, bolt her up and go moppin doories down the street? or is a bit of mounting and welding needed?

Also... should i be looking for a 325I and do a 2.7 bottom later on or should i grap a E and do a I head and ECU? there are definitively more E's out there than I's. but that could help toward either decision.
dont matter?
kinda want the I so i can have as much fun as possible right off the bat.

thanks for the advice guys.
Old 06-25-2012, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M-technik-3 View Post
Closer to 2850, still light as far as RWD cars go. On par for most smaller 80's sports sedans.

http://e30world.com/specifications/BMW-E30-specs-table

I would not add FI to a stock 200K engine with out rebuilding the head and doing new rings plus bearings on the bottom end of the engine. Unless you want to tear it apart a few months down the road.

Do it once do it right, don't be cheap. There is a bunch of turbo build on www.e30tech.com more there than www.r3vlimited.com but they are growing too. R3V tends to be a 24v swap site and Tech is a Turbo site.

I have two 24V swap cars one has a supercharger setup the other is a plain jane dd car.
Thanks man. I would go ahead and boost it just a little without worry... there are lots of them with high miles holding boost. not much but... boost lol. inline six's are just ment for boost.

but i do agree. build it nice or build it twice is the way to go. maybe some day i will learn...