Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > The Best of Bimmerfest! > European Delivery

European Delivery
The place to share your experiences and tips related to "ED"... View the ED Wiki -- View the Pick-Up Date Calendar -- Add Your Pick-Up Date to the Calendar

Old 06-24-2012, 08:36 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2013 335i M-Sport
Hotels in Munich, Salzburg, Mestre/Venice?

Our ED is coming up in September...haven't fully nailed down all the itinerary details but wondering if anybody has had good experiences with hotels in these cities?

Munich: we're actually going to be here twice, once on the initial arrival for one night, and then we're going to loop back at the end of the ED and hit Oktoberfest for a day or two before we leave. So could probably use two hotels for Munich since I'm guessing the Welt is nowhere close to Oktoberfest. Don't need a place to park at either of those.

Salzburg: Don't really know any specifics of what we're going to do here, just looking for a nice area to stay that would have a safe place to park the car.

Mestre/Venice: Plan to visit Venice for a couple of days. We've heard that staying in Venice can be a bit tight; recommendation was to stay in Mestre and take public transit over to Venice for the day, so we'd be fine just staying in Mestre.

Our circle is going to be back through Switzerland and on the Splugen Pass -- but still not sure where we're going to stay on our way through there yet...any thoughts welcome!

Thanks guys
Ads by Google
Old 06-24-2012, 09:09 PM
Z4 M coupe, F07 550i GT

Mein Auto: Z4MCoupe, 550 GT, 840Ci
Other ED threads indicate that Munich lodgings during Octoberfest are very difficult to find.
However, we once had a great experience at the ED-friendly Hotel Uhland. They have their own parking lot behind the hotel, too.
Old 06-24-2012, 09:21 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 528xi Titanium Sil.
We stayed at Hotel Uhland in March this year. Asked the owner (who rides a BMW motorcycle) if they are extra busy during Octoberfest as they are 1/2 block from Theresienwiese. She said not particulaly busy at that time. Reserve now and you can probably get something. Nice Eurostyle Hotel in a turn of the century townhouse. Free (tight) parking. Good breakfast and free Wifi. Friendly knowledgable English speaking staff. The Welt is as close as the nearest U-Bahn station.
2008 535i /Step/Tit Sil (gone)
2009 528xi Step/space grey(gone)
ED 03/30/2012
2012 528xi Titanium Sil.

Last edited by Bikie; 06-24-2012 at 09:56 PM.
Old 06-24-2012, 10:34 PM

Mein Auto: 328xiT & M roadster
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertpilot View Post
our ed is coming up in september...haven't fully nailed down all the itinerary details but wondering if anybody has had good experiences with hotels in these cities?

munich: we're actually going to be here twice, once on the initial arrival for one night, and then we're going to loop back at the end of the ed and hit oktoberfest for a day or two before we leave. So could probably use two hotels for munich since i'm guessing the welt is nowhere close to oktoberfest. Don't need a place to park at either of those.

salzburg: don't really know any specifics of what we're going to do here, just looking for a nice area to stay that would have a safe place to park the car.

mestre/venice: plan to visit venice for a couple of days. We've heard that staying in venice can be a bit tight; recommendation was to stay in mestre and take public transit over to venice for the day, so we'd be fine just staying in mestre.

Our circle is going to be back through switzerland and on the splugen pass -- but still not sure where we're going to stay on our way through there yet...any thoughts welcome!

Thanks guys
wiki !
Recent ED: 25 June 10, 328xiT in Red. Then headed SW to Italy & France. Flew home via Rome. Hoegh Kobe departed 22 July; unloaded at PH 17 Aug. Redelivery 11 Sept. (Re-redelivery 14 Sept....read the details here.)
Previous ED: 7 June 08, X3 3.0si in rosso corsa (*), then off to Italy, Austria, Slovenia. (*Note: A61 Crimson Red north of the Alps.)
Back-up vehicle (while waiting for re-deliveries): 1999 M Roadster in Estoril Blue.
Old 06-24-2012, 11:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by b-y View Post
wiki !
Good reminder, thanks. I actually read through the whole wiki (or the parts that applied to me anyhow) when I first decided on an ED and then totally spaced out on it once I bought my flight two months later.

Can't find anything in there about staying in Venice though, other than the parking garage comments, so I guess the post at least still has some relevance.

And the Hotel Uhland recommendations were perfect, I think that might actually work out (I already emailed them) -- so thanks guys!
Old 06-25-2012, 06:15 AM

Quote:
Good reminder, thanks. I actually read through the whole wiki (or the parts that applied to me anyhow) when I first decided on an ED and then totally spaced out on it once I bought my flight two months later.

Can't find anything in there about staying in Venice though, other than the parking garage comments, so I guess the post at least still has some relevance.

And the Hotel Uhland recommendations were perfect, I think that might actually work out (I already emailed them) -- so thanks guys!
Use "advanced search" here with content equal to Venice and author equal to Skywalkerbeth. IIRC Beth recommends a couple of nice, reasonably priced hotels in Venice.
Recent ED: 25 June 10, 328xiT in Red. Then headed SW to Italy & France. Flew home via Rome. Hoegh Kobe departed 22 July; unloaded at PH 17 Aug. Redelivery 11 Sept. (Re-redelivery 14 Sept....read the details here.)
Previous ED: 7 June 08, X3 3.0si in rosso corsa (*), then off to Italy, Austria, Slovenia. (*Note: A61 Crimson Red north of the Alps.)
Back-up vehicle (while waiting for re-deliveries): 1999 M Roadster in Estoril Blue.
Old 06-25-2012, 06:50 AM

Mein Auto: 2009 BMW 535i xdrive
We will be staying in the Hilton Garden Inn in Mestre for three nights in two weeks after our ED. I'll give you feedback after.
Old 06-25-2012, 07:16 AM

Send a message via AIM to vern
Mein Auto: 01 330ci 05 530i 06 X3
Thumbs up

Quote:
Our ED is coming up in September...haven't fully nailed down all the itinerary details but wondering if anybody has had good experiences with hotels in these cities?

Munich: we're actually going to be here twice, once on the initial arrival for one night, and then we're going to loop back at the end of the ED and hit Oktoberfest for a day or two before we leave. So could probably use two hotels for Munich since I'm guessing the Welt is nowhere close to Oktoberfest. Don't need a place to park at either of those.

We stayed at the Hotel Uhland on our first ED. a really great place to stay with a fantastic breakfast.On our other 3 ED trips we stayed at the Munich Marriott through Priceline Its also a nice place to stay and very convenient to the ubahn, bakery,restaurants,Shell gas station. Good luck
cheers
vern
2012 335iA Blk. Sapphire- Sport-Blk. Dakota Leather/Red-Brushed Alum.Trim-DAP-PP-CWP Rear View Camera-BMW Asst w/Enhanced BT&USB-High Gloss Blk.Trim Hghight-PSP-Speed Limit Info-Tech. Pkg-PDC-Rear Manual Sun Shades-SAT-Variable Sport Steering-Wheel Locks- Rubber Mats-Euro Del 5/14/12-Redelivery 7/16/12 2006 X3 3.0iA 4/6 Silver Gray Metallic-Black Leather-Nav-PP-SP-Xenon Headlights-PDC-Heated Front Seats-Privacy Glass-Servotronic Steering-Premium Sound System-R R R- Wheel Locks- Rubber Mats

Last edited by vern; 06-25-2012 at 07:18 AM.
Old 06-25-2012, 07:27 PM

Send a message via AIM to MonkeyCMonkeyDo
Mein Auto: 2013 335i
When will you be there? I will be picking up sept 29th and we got the whole weekend no problem at the Westin grand Munich arrabellapark at a discounted rate. Convenient to the ubahn 12 minute ride to Oktoberfest and pretty good reviews on the forum.
Old 06-25-2012, 09:27 PM

Mein Auto: BMW X3
Munich we stayed at the Charles hotel which was very luxurious and expensive but also worth it...
Salzburg stayed in Schloss Hotel Monchstein it is a unique and luxurious place as well... Awesome breakfast, amazing location on the bluff over the old city with free elevator passes down... It is amazing, but not cheap...
Good luck!

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Bimmer App
990 miles
E92 335 xdrive, space gray, black Dakota, dark glacier trim, 6MT, prem, M-sport with 18s, nav, HK, comfort access, heated seats
Old 06-25-2012, 11:05 PM

Mein Auto: 330
What sort of budget are looking at per night?
Old 06-25-2012, 11:32 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 E92 M3
I am at the Sacher Salzburg right now.

They're waiting for our arrival and greeted us at the front door like we were
family. The service has been beyond five stars.

Highly recommended. Superb!!!!!

European Delivery: June 25, 2012
Old 06-26-2012, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonkeyCMonkeyDo View Post
When will you be there? I will be picking up sept 29th and we got the whole weekend no problem at the Westin grand Munich arrabellapark at a discounted rate. Convenient to the ubahn 12 minute ride to Oktoberfest and pretty good reviews on the forum.
Unfortunately we're there during the opening weekend through Tuesday (Sept 21-25)...however, it looks like we're going to be able to get the Hotel Uhland

Quote:
What sort of budget are looking at per night?
For Oktoberfest, we were thinking up to $300-350 or so per night. For the other areas, we were hoping to average $200 or so per night or less, but would gladly splurge for something amazing.
Old 07-03-2012, 01:44 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 M3 E92 DKG
I stayed at Sofitel Munich Bayerpost the begining of June in Munich. I recommend getting a Junior Suite here. It was really great. The regular rooms are very nice as well and the breakfast although extra $ is very good. The train station and U bahn stations are right there so it is easy to get to der Welt from there with ony one train change.
Old 07-03-2012, 02:24 PM

Mein Auto: 09 135i
We stayed at the Villa Trapp in Salzburg, they have private parking on the grounds and you get to stay in the Von Trapp house. Maria's Suite was pretty spacious and they leave a copy of the Sound of Music out for you to watch. I don't remember breakfast, but I'm sure it was good, the owners are very friendly and pointed us in the right direction for things to do.
Old 07-03-2012, 02:29 PM
BMW Addict

Mein Auto: 13 740i/12 328i
I'm booked at the Intercontinental Berchtesgaden since it's close to Salzburg and Lake Konigsee areas and wanted a respite from the major cities.
2009 335i Jet Black/Oyster/Dark Burl (Sold)
2007 X5 Black Sapphire/Beige (Sold)
2007 335iC Alpine White/Red (ED 11/15/06) (Sold)
2004 545ia Jet Black/Black (Retired)
2001 525ia Jet Black/Sand (Retired)
Old 07-03-2012, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by b-y View Post
Use "advanced search" here with content equal to Venice and author equal to Skywalkerbeth. IIRC Beth recommends a couple of nice, reasonably priced hotels in Venice.
Try this thread.
Old 07-04-2012, 12:52 PM

Thanks again for all the recommendations guys.

Question for you -- I was luckily able to lock down Hotel Uhland for Oktoberfest, which we'll be doing the last 3-4 days of our ED just prior to returning home. Originally I had planned to drop the car off for delivery before heading to Hotel Uhland and then catch a cab there for the Oktoberfest portion. We don't really plan to drive around Munich, and doing this would keep the car away from the Oktoberfest area while we're not using it.

But then I looked at a map...it looks like the dropoff area is really close to the airport, which is a long ways from the hotel. Seems kind of silly to drive all the way up to the airport, take a cab back, and then take a cab back again just a couple days later. So my question is...

For those who have parked at Hotel Uhland, how safe do you think the parking would be during the Oktoberfest which is right down the street? Should I chance it, or would it be better to snag some garage passes from the Welt for the Oktoberfest period? Or should I just go with my original plan to do final dropoff prior to Oktoberfest, and suck it up that an extra couple of long cab rides aren't a big deal?

I don't have any feel for how crazy things are in the Oktoberfest neighborhood -- I would hate for my car to get jacked up by some of the drunken attendees walking home or whatever.
Old 07-04-2012, 02:09 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 528xi Titanium Sil.
I have stayed twice at Hotel Uhland . Quiet neighborhood close to Ubahn 2 blocks or bus 250 meters. Parking is tight only seven spaces or so first come first served and outside. The only damage we ever incurred was self inflicted on a tight corner there and we always got a spot. Check it out on Google maps. You could drop off the car at the Airport and catch the Lufthansa bus (10.50 Euro) 40 minutes to the Haupt Bahnhof and then a Taxi 9 Euro or the Ubahn to Hotel Uhland. There is a major Taxi stand at the Bahnhof bus stop.http://www.airportbus-muenchen.de/cms/en/home/ I find that the public transport is very easy to use, goes everywhere and is preferable to driving and parking in the City.http://www.mvv-muenchen.de/en/homepage/index.html Same drill in reverse to go to the Airport.
2008 535i /Step/Tit Sil (gone)
2009 528xi Step/space grey(gone)
ED 03/30/2012
2012 528xi Titanium Sil.

Last edited by Bikie; 07-04-2012 at 02:47 PM. Reason: Error
Old 07-05-2012, 08:02 AM

Mein Auto: 2010 Sportwagon
Have been to Salzburg twice, and both times stayed at the Sheraton. Nice large rooms. Parking garage available, but not sure at what price. Breakfast was not included in our package the first year, but we definitely added on our return. In Munich, the Exqusit is very nice, 4-star within easy walking distance of the Marienplatz. Their brochure says an underground parking area is available at a fee.