Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E53 (1999 - 2006)

X5 E53 (1999 - 2006)
The X5 SAV Forum

Old 06-18-2009, 05:49 PM

Mein Auto: X5
Angry X5 coolant problems; help please

Hey guys. Need your help on this..

I have a 2004 X5 4.4 (original owner). My 4 yr/50k expired and I bought an extended warranty. So, now it seems as though my coolant lights keep signaling low. I've had it topped twice already by the dealer. So, they took a look and found a list of problems wrong with it. The warranty is only picking up only two things out of the extensive list. The BILL is OUTRAGEOUS.. I wanted to see what people think about this? secondly, do these prices seem unreasonable? And third, the dealer told me that if I don't get it serviced by them, it would void my extended warranty; is this true? Thanks for your thoughts/comments/insight in advance. I'm in SouthBay area; SoCal.

1. Expansion Tank and Cover Leaking: $387.27 (Extended Warranty covers a portion of the cost)

2. Left Front CV Boot Leaking: $463.01 (Covered by extended warranty)

3. Both Power Steering Hoses from canister leaking: $579.13

4. Oil Pressure Sensor Leaking: $197.78

5. Engine Vacuum Pump Leaking: $1,247.27

6. Control Arm Bushing (Front) cracked: $903.26

7. Coolant Flush: $280.00

8. Fuel Injection: $280.00

9. Air Induction: $280.00
Advertisement
Old 06-24-2009, 04:16 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Send a message via AIM to m5james Send a message via MSN to m5james Send a message via Yahoo to m5james
Mein Auto: 98 740iL - Tweaked a bit
There is a TON of information on here, Bimmerforums and Xoutpost about replacing these items. If youre mechanically inclined, it's time to get intimate w/ your X.

Also, change your location so you don't have to point out your from So. Cal. As Tom Leykis says, no one cares you've "moved out here from back east". You live here now.

325hp 98 740iL, black/black - Eatin 540's & $hittin 318's
PERFORMANCE:///M5 6spd conv., Iron sleeves, L/W Teflon coated pistons, 3 angle valvejob, P&P head, cams, electric fan, CF intake tube w/aluminum heatshield, Magnaflow 14816'd
INTERIOR:
Hardwired V1 above rearview, 12" RE Audio DVC sub, MTX 81000D, silver trim, 5% tint
EXTERIOR:19" Beyern Mesh staggered, Shadowline kidneys, Axxis pads
01 X5 4.4 - F90BT, L5
Old 11-05-2009, 08:23 AM

Mein Auto: 2003 X5 4.4
hi there, I can't give you specific information about what you've listed, however, my experience with cars and dealers (and of course our beloved bimmers) is that a dealer on most expensive jobs, charges up to 2.5 to 3 times what a reputable indi bmw mechanic would.

I recently had my water pump replaced; dealer wanted $1600, I called 4 mechanics in my neck of the woods, lowest bid was $540, I paid $650.

Take care of your cooling system, it fails, then your engine will blow
Old 11-13-2009, 10:44 PM

Mein Auto: x5 2003
i think its a bit high, look somewhere else, and get to know your baby, caue there's some items on that list ,you can take care of allthough, before you start, ask questions and look up some photos,.......buddy up with a mechanic.welcome to the bimmerworld.
Old 11-13-2009, 11:18 PM
Resident Curmudgeon

Mein Auto: '12 X5 35d/E39M5/996TTX50
1. Scan the actual extended warranty policy and post it. Will review and provide recommendations.

2. People have no clue as to their legal rights. Since they fail to read and undersntadn the policy.... How can strangers on the internet tell you if the coverage determination is right and if taking it elsehwhere will 'void' the warranty if we can't see it????

3. Extended arranties should list the types of FAILRES which are covered and not PARTS. It is unusual to have a failure that is 'partially' covered. Need the policy to interpret.

4. The last 3 items are total scams. Clearly they figure you to be a patsy. Say no. Assume EVERYTHING they tell you is an absolute lie. Really.

5. All the prices seem unreasonable, but the most important question is "are these really bad". My guess is no, that they are just rolling you.

Get that policy, and then get an independent SECOND OPINION.

Next time you buy a warranty, be a bit more inquisitive.

A
Old 11-14-2009, 07:31 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '06 X3
Find another dealer in SoCal there are a plethora of them there. +1 on changing your location tag, your not there anymore.
Old 09-08-2010, 12:57 PM

Mein Auto: 2005 x5 3.0i
coolant expansion tank...

I had a similar problem over the weekend. I was parked with the engine running, saw some smoke from under the hood so turned off and noticed that the coolant expansion tank was cracked. I let it cool down and then drove home before the temperature needle was past 2/3. Had it towed to the dealership and got the tank replaced (along with CV boot leak and couple of more leaks) under extended warranty. It is an 05 x5 3.0 with around 56k miles on it.

Can anyone tell if the expansion tank gets hot all the time? Since I had it replaced I keep noticing that the tank is pretty hot. Is there something in the engine that is making the coolant very hot in the expansion tank or is that normal? Thanks in advance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sin1175 View Post
Hey guys. Need your help on this..

I have a 2004 X5 4.4 (original owner). My 4 yr/50k expired and I bought an extended warranty. So, now it seems as though my coolant lights keep signaling low. I've had it topped twice already by the dealer. So, they took a look and found a list of problems wrong with it. The warranty is only picking up only two things out of the extensive list. The BILL is OUTRAGEOUS.. I wanted to see what people think about this? secondly, do these prices seem unreasonable? And third, the dealer told me that if I don't get it serviced by them, it would void my extended warranty; is this true? Thanks for your thoughts/comments/insight in advance. I'm in SouthBay area; SoCal.

1. Expansion Tank and Cover Leaking: $387.27 (Extended Warranty covers a portion of the cost)

2. Left Front CV Boot Leaking: $463.01 (Covered by extended warranty)

3. Both Power Steering Hoses from canister leaking: $579.13

4. Oil Pressure Sensor Leaking: $197.78

5. Engine Vacuum Pump Leaking: $1,247.27

6. Control Arm Bushing (Front) cracked: $903.26

7. Coolant Flush: $280.00

8. Fuel Injection: $280.00

9. Air Induction: $280.00
Old 09-09-2010, 08:27 PM
Imola 4.6

Mein Auto: e34 530i
i dont think the dealer can say you have to change it or else it will be void. remember the sales rep gets commision when they do a service... and as for the leak, i had 03 4.6 leaking and toped it off once a day, i took it to a mechanic, he changed the tank for $120 and PROBLEM SOLVED for a year now.
Old 09-23-2010, 03:28 PM

Mein Auto: 2005 x5 3.0i
Quote:
Originally Posted by nvkrisk9 View Post
I had a similar problem over the weekend. I was parked with the engine running, saw some smoke from under the hood so turned off and noticed that the coolant expansion tank was cracked. I let it cool down and then drove home before the temperature needle was past 2/3. Had it towed to the dealership and got the tank replaced (along with CV boot leak and couple of more leaks) under extended warranty. It is an 05 x5 3.0 with around 56k miles on it.

Can anyone tell if the expansion tank gets hot all the time? Since I had it replaced I keep noticing that the tank is pretty hot. Is there something in the engine that is making the coolant very hot in the expansion tank or is that normal? Thanks in advance.
-----
The problem was the auxillary fan was not working. At highway speeds the wind was blowingbut in city traffic or when idle, the coolant was getting really hot because the fan was not working. After thermostat and expansion tank was replaced, it was still getting hot and I get coolant temperature message when in city driving but not on highway. Dealer said it was the aux fan, and it was covered under extended warranty.
Old 09-24-2010, 12:35 AM

Mein Auto: X5
Insane repair prices, do it yourself, save a lot of money, of course its work and not always easy but what the hey! Lets not and say we did,
Old 06-26-2012, 02:50 PM

Mein Auto: 2006 X5 3.0
i just had my forward front control arm replaced due to a crack bushing, dealer call tension arm. anyway, parts cost around $300 for both, took about an hr to replace, dealer is charging way too much for their labor, get couple more quotes or DIY for simple tasks.