Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 (2012 - current)

F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 (2012 - current)
The sixth generation 3 series, chassis code F30. 2013 model year 328i and 335i sedans now in production. Read the F30 frequently asked question thread for all your basic question and dive into all the details in the ultimate F30 information thread.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #26  
Old 06-26-2012, 03:19 PM
tsoc88's Avatar
tsoc88 tsoc88 is online now
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Boston Area
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 855
Mein Auto: 2012 328i
Several points from my owning an F30 - BMW apps - total waste of $$$. Mine came with the car and would have never ordered it.

iPhone cradle - Apple is apparently changing the connector for the iPhone 5 so the $$ for the cradle will be wasted if you move to an iPhone 5.
__________________
Z4 28i
328i 2012 Luxury Line[/COLOR]
X3 - 2012-retired
335Cabrio-2011 ED -retired
Z435i 2009 -retired

Z4 2004 -retired
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 06-26-2012, 03:36 PM
boltjaM3s's Avatar
boltjaM3s boltjaM3s is offline
BMW Platinum Visa® Member
Location: USA
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 7,515
Mein Auto: BMW L328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsoc88 View Post
Several points from my owning an F30 - BMW apps - total waste of $$$. Mine came with the car and would have never ordered it.

iPhone cradle - Apple is apparently changing the connector for the iPhone 5 so the $$ for the cradle will be wasted if you move to an iPhone 5.
Thanks tsoc. I'm only going to use the cradle for my beater iPod Touch which has 25,000 songs on it. I like the UI that comes only with the iPod Out feature which is only available with the cradle. So when I get the iPhone 5 it won't make a difference as (I'm told) I'll only need to plug its standard USB cable into the USB port in the armrest for the app functionality. I'm always going to use my iPod Touch for music and my iPhone for apps; won't ever use the iPhone for music especially now that wireless iTunes sync is possible and I can get new tunes onto my BMW's iPod without having to remove it from the car.

On the apps front, the Facebook thing doesn't do much for me but Pandora and Google Maps integration are big wins, that's why I decided to get them along with the Enhanced Bluetooth.

BJ
__________________

2013 BMW L328i Luxury Sedan | Premium Package | Technology Package | Lighting Package | Steptronic® | PDC | Apps
Mineral Grey Metallic | Saddle Leather | Anthracite | Camera | Sirius | Rolex | Trophy Wife | Beach House | Status Package®

Last edited by boltjaM3s; 06-26-2012 at 03:37 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 06-26-2012, 03:44 PM
captainaudio's Avatar
captainaudio captainaudio is offline
Worlds Foremost Authority
Location: Upper East Side Manhattan - Boca Raton Florida
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 13,707
Mein Auto: 335i E93 - 750Lix
BJ,

Do you have to order the cradle with the car or can it added later? And if so is it returnable?

CA
__________________

Drivers Club at Lime Rock
The Glen Club
International Motor Racing Research Center
BMWCCA
Cayman Club Nor'Easters
Madison Ave. Sports Car Driving and Chowder Society (Only a Vice President)
Sports Car Club of America
Polish Racing Drivers of America (PRDA)
American Mural Project
Simeone Foundation Automotive Museum
Mount Washington Observatory
Society of Automotive Historians
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 06-26-2012, 05:41 PM
Itinj6's Avatar
Itinj6 Itinj6 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: New Jersey
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 2,472
Mein Auto: 2012 650i Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by captainaudio View Post
BJ,

Do you have to order the cradle with the car or can it added later? And if so is it returnable?

CA
You can buy it after at any BMW parts department... Or even eBay

I suppose it depends on the specific return policy.

Last edited by Itinj6; 06-26-2012 at 05:43 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 06-26-2012, 05:51 PM
UnderSteer's Avatar
UnderSteer UnderSteer is offline
Usual Suspect
Location: Berkshire County Mass.
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 372
Mein Auto: 750 Li Xdrive
Quote:
Originally Posted by Itinj6 View Post
You can buy it after at any BMW parts department... Or even eBay

I suppose it depends on the specific return policy.
Then it would seem if you are not sure if you need one or not you could order the car without it and then if you feel you made a mistake order one later or purchase one on eBay.
__________________


2014 B7 Alpina (daily driver Mass.), 2014 Maserati Gran Cabrio (daily driver Florida), 2012 Porsche Cayenne Turbo (wife's car Mass), 2014 AMG S63 (wife's car Florida)

1969 Camaro Z28, 1964 Jaguar E-Type, Caterham Super 7 (track car), 1957 Thunderbird, 1954 Jaguar XK120, 1958 Corvette, 1955 MGTF, 1965 Shelby GT350, Superformance 427 Cobra, 1955 Chevrolet Nomad, 1963 Corvette Split Window Coupe, 2001 BMW Z8,2014 McLaren 650S,

Last edited by UnderSteer; 06-26-2012 at 05:56 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #31  
Old 06-26-2012, 06:15 PM
boltjaM3s's Avatar
boltjaM3s boltjaM3s is offline
BMW Platinum Visa® Member
Location: USA
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 7,515
Mein Auto: BMW L328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by captainaudio View Post
BJ,

Do you have to order the cradle with the car or can it added later? And if so is it returnable?

CA
My SA has told me it doesn't need to be ordered, it's just an over-the-counter item from the parts department. Yes, it's returnable.

I'm looking for the most elegant, Apple-friendly UI possible for my iTunes collection off of my beater iPod Touch and the look/feel of the iPod Out display is just great but it requires the damn cradle. I figure that if it's not that great an improvement over the stock iDrive integration I'll just return it and if I keep it for the 36 months I can always sell it for a few bucks at the end of the lease.

As for the iPhone, it's great to know that I can plug it in the second USB port and not lose out on any app functionality (though many say today's apps are useless I have high hopes for the near future) and I never use Bluetooth for audio so I'm all set there.

My E90 has been great for me but it lacks all the tech goodies. That's the price I paid for being impatient the last time, taking the car they had on the lot to cut out the 6 week build time. Doing it right this go-round, getting all the toys I want.

Video of the UI with iPod Out here (iPod UI shown at 4 minute mark) with walkthru's of the apps too:



BJ
__________________

2013 BMW L328i Luxury Sedan | Premium Package | Technology Package | Lighting Package | Steptronic® | PDC | Apps
Mineral Grey Metallic | Saddle Leather | Anthracite | Camera | Sirius | Rolex | Trophy Wife | Beach House | Status Package®

Last edited by boltjaM3s; 06-26-2012 at 06:20 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old 06-26-2012, 07:39 PM
captainaudio's Avatar
captainaudio captainaudio is offline
Worlds Foremost Authority
Location: Upper East Side Manhattan - Boca Raton Florida
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 13,707
Mein Auto: 335i E93 - 750Lix
Then it seems like you can't really go wrong. Order it later and return it if you don't find it worthwhile,

I have not had a lot of practice with the new iDrive but will have a chance to play with it more Fourth of July weekend.

CA
__________________

Drivers Club at Lime Rock
The Glen Club
International Motor Racing Research Center
BMWCCA
Cayman Club Nor'Easters
Madison Ave. Sports Car Driving and Chowder Society (Only a Vice President)
Sports Car Club of America
Polish Racing Drivers of America (PRDA)
American Mural Project
Simeone Foundation Automotive Museum
Mount Washington Observatory
Society of Automotive Historians
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old 06-27-2012, 03:43 AM
Technic's Avatar
Technic Technic is offline
Test... 1, 2 ,3
Location: Florida
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 4,825
Mein Auto: 2012 M3 - 2014 528i
The best feature of BMW Apps so far is the integration of music apps: Pandora, AUPEO! and the best of all, Web Radio.
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old 06-27-2012, 05:00 AM
boltjaM3s's Avatar
boltjaM3s boltjaM3s is offline
BMW Platinum Visa® Member
Location: USA
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 7,515
Mein Auto: BMW L328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Technic View Post
The best feature of BMW Apps so far is the integration of music apps: Pandora, AUPEO! and the best of all, Web Radio.
Just read that the next iPhone update (ios6) will allow text messages and email notifications to show up on iDrive via Bluetooth, no apps required. Will be nice to see an incoming text in large print on the LCD rather than having to squint at the handset.

BJ
__________________

2013 BMW L328i Luxury Sedan | Premium Package | Technology Package | Lighting Package | Steptronic® | PDC | Apps
Mineral Grey Metallic | Saddle Leather | Anthracite | Camera | Sirius | Rolex | Trophy Wife | Beach House | Status Package®
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old 06-27-2012, 07:32 AM
Technic's Avatar
Technic Technic is offline
Test... 1, 2 ,3
Location: Florida
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 4,825
Mein Auto: 2012 M3 - 2014 528i
Quote:
Originally Posted by boltjaM3s View Post
Just read that the next iPhone update (ios6) will allow text messages and email notifications to show up on iDrive via Bluetooth, no apps required. Will be nice to see an incoming text in large print on the LCD rather than having to squint at the handset.

BJ
Yes, BMW Office is a function of the enhanced Bluetooth feature set. BMW Apps is an optional function of the enhanced USB feature set.
Reply With Quote
  #36  
Old 06-27-2012, 07:46 AM
pcbrew pcbrew is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: DFW
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 578
Mein Auto: E46 330i
Can you even get a cradle for any touch?
All I have seen are iphone cradles.

The old 2G touch I am using won't even support the BMW Connected Apps so I will just be using USB.
__________________


'02 E46 330i 5MT (ED Sept '02) - SOLD
'12 F30 335i Sport 6MT (ED May '12)
Reply With Quote
  #37  
Old 06-27-2012, 01:05 PM
boltjaM3s's Avatar
boltjaM3s boltjaM3s is offline
BMW Platinum Visa® Member
Location: USA
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 7,515
Mein Auto: BMW L328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcbrew View Post
Can you even get a cradle for any touch?
All I have seen are iphone cradles.

The old 2G touch I am using won't even support the BMW Connected Apps so I will just be using USB.
I'm told that my iPod Touch will fit in the iPhone cradle as it has the same pin connector and same basic shape as the iPhone. That said...

Technic (or anyone else) can you 100% confirm this?

Thanks.

BJ
__________________

2013 BMW L328i Luxury Sedan | Premium Package | Technology Package | Lighting Package | Steptronic® | PDC | Apps
Mineral Grey Metallic | Saddle Leather | Anthracite | Camera | Sirius | Rolex | Trophy Wife | Beach House | Status Package®
Reply With Quote
  #38  
Old 07-04-2012, 02:49 PM
boltjaM3s's Avatar
boltjaM3s boltjaM3s is offline
BMW Platinum Visa® Member
Location: USA
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 7,515
Mein Auto: BMW L328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by boltjaM3s View Post
I'm told that my iPod Touch will fit in the iPhone cradle as it has the same pin connector and same basic shape as the iPhone. That said...

Technic (or anyone else) can you 100% confirm this?

Thanks.

BJ
BUMP FOR TECHNIC:

Please see post (above) and let me know. I'm not sure which cradle will fit my iPod Touch Gen. 3, unable to find confirmation if I need....

1. An iPhone 3 cradle.

2. An iPhone 4 cradle.

3. Some improvised major surgery to one of the iPhone cradles.

4. Some iPod Touch cradle that I'm not aware of.

Thanks.

BJ
__________________

2013 BMW L328i Luxury Sedan | Premium Package | Technology Package | Lighting Package | Steptronic® | PDC | Apps
Mineral Grey Metallic | Saddle Leather | Anthracite | Camera | Sirius | Rolex | Trophy Wife | Beach House | Status Package®
Reply With Quote
  #39  
Old 07-05-2012, 02:39 AM
Technic's Avatar
Technic Technic is offline
Test... 1, 2 ,3
Location: Florida
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 4,825
Mein Auto: 2012 M3 - 2014 528i
The current iPod Touch is slightly smaller than the iPhone 3GS but with the same basic shape, and it is slightly wider than the iPhone 4S.

Your dealer should be able to lend you a 3GS or a 4S cradle (if in stock) for you to test-fit your iPod Touch. The 4S cradle may be a tighter fit which may or may not be a good thing (less play while connected), though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by boltjaM3s View Post
BUMP FOR TECHNIC:

Please see post (above) and let me know. I'm not sure which cradle will fit my iPod Touch Gen. 3, unable to find confirmation if I need....

1. An iPhone 3 cradle.

2. An iPhone 4 cradle.

3. Some improvised major surgery to one of the iPhone cradles.

4. Some iPod Touch cradle that I'm not aware of.

Thanks.

BJ
Reply With Quote
  #40  
Old 07-05-2012, 04:29 AM
cozinsky cozinsky is offline
Registered User
Location: South Africa
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 14
Mein Auto: 2012 BMW 328i
I have an iPhone 4/4s cradle in my BMW. It is a tight fit for the iPhone which is actually good as the phone will not move around or lose connection. I also own an iPod touch 4th generation which does not fit in the cradle even if the connector is similar to the iPhone. It is way too small. I don't know if there is some custom method to make the iPod touch fit. However, it is not really a big deal as you can use the iPhone in the cradle and the iPod with the USB cord. The USB cord also charges the iPod and displays the cover arts.
Reply With Quote
  #41  
Old 07-05-2012, 04:38 AM
bmw325 bmw325 is online now
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: New York, NY
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Posts: 8,176
Mein Auto: 528i
bj- just so you're aware: if you use the iPod out feature you can't use split screen. It takes over the whole screen while in use. While the built in interface is a bit clunky it gets the job done and I find that I don't mess with it much when driving anyway. Actually with the pandora integration I barely listen to anything else now.

Also there is a guy who can program iPod out to work without a cradle. I think his name is Patrick but if you search you'll find it. Kind of rubs it in though that BMW arbitrarily decided to require a cradle for this.

One other kind of useful thing you can do with the preset buttons is to assign one to call up a search for gas stations along your current route.
__________________

Last edited by bmw325; 07-05-2012 at 04:40 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #42  
Old 07-05-2012, 05:37 AM
Technic's Avatar
Technic Technic is offline
Test... 1, 2 ,3
Location: Florida
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 4,825
Mein Auto: 2012 M3 - 2014 528i
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw325 View Post
bj- just so you're aware: if you use the iPod out feature you can't use split screen. It takes over the whole screen while in use. While the built in interface is a bit clunky it gets the job done and I find that I don't mess with it much when driving anyway. Actually with the pandora integration I barely listen to anything else now.

Also there is a guy who can program iPod out to work without a cradle. I think his name is Patrick but if you search you'll find it. Kind of rubs it in though that BMW arbitrarily decided to require a cradle for this.

One other kind of useful thing you can do with the preset buttons is to assign one to call up a search for gas stations along your current route.
If your car is already equipped from factory with BMW Apps then there's no need to program the USB port to pipe iPod Out. What Patryk (Bimmerfest vendor BimmerTech) can do is provide the hardware to make the USB port the Plug In/iPod Out port.

Good news is that no cradle is required for iPod Out this way. Bad news is there will be no full charge of the device plugged into the USB port as full charge is only available at the cradle itself as stated before. If your device is not fully charged (less than 90%) then it will not be recognized once plugged in. iPod Out requires extra current draw (thus the cradle fan due to extra heat) and the USB port alone cannot keep up with it unless other measures are taken -out of scope of this discussion.

Last edited by Technic; 07-05-2012 at 06:28 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #43  
Old 07-05-2012, 05:48 AM
boltjaM3s's Avatar
boltjaM3s boltjaM3s is offline
BMW Platinum Visa® Member
Location: USA
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 7,515
Mein Auto: BMW L328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw325 View Post

bj- just so you're aware: if you use the iPod out feature you can't use split screen. It takes over the whole screen while in use.


bmw325 - Is that true? I found a screencap somewhere online (above) that shows a split-screen view with the cradle and the superior iPod Out user interface. Not sure if you're referring to an older setup or the newest stuff for the F30.

Technic - can you let me know if split-screen is possible with what will be the newest BMW and Apple firmware and the newest snap-in adapter cradle?

BJ
__________________

2013 BMW L328i Luxury Sedan | Premium Package | Technology Package | Lighting Package | Steptronic® | PDC | Apps
Mineral Grey Metallic | Saddle Leather | Anthracite | Camera | Sirius | Rolex | Trophy Wife | Beach House | Status Package®

Last edited by boltjaM3s; 07-05-2012 at 05:50 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #44  
Old 07-05-2012, 06:50 AM
Technic's Avatar
Technic Technic is offline
Test... 1, 2 ,3
Location: Florida
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 4,825
Mein Auto: 2012 M3 - 2014 528i
Quote:
Originally Posted by boltjaM3s View Post


bmw325 - Is that true? I found a screencap somewhere online (above) that shows a split-screen view with the cradle and the superior iPod Out user interface. Not sure if you're referring to an older setup or the newest stuff for the F30.

Technic - can you let me know if split-screen is possible with what will be the newest BMW and Apple firmware and the newest snap-in adapter cradle?

BJ
Plug In/iPod Out is not supported in split screen mode -at least in the USA. Perhaps is a coding option, though.
Reply With Quote
  #45  
Old 07-05-2012, 06:54 AM
bmw325 bmw325 is online now
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: New York, NY
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Posts: 8,176
Mein Auto: 528i
Quote:
Originally Posted by boltjaM3s View Post


bmw325 - Is that true? I found a screencap somewhere online (above) that shows a split-screen view with the cradle and the superior iPod Out user interface. Not sure if you're referring to an older setup or the newest stuff for the F30.

Technic - can you let me know if split-screen is possible with what will be the newest BMW and Apple firmware and the newest snap-in adapter cradle?

BJ
Hopefully the f30 is different. Check out this thread
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=618243
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #46  
Old 07-05-2012, 08:40 AM
utnuc utnuc is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Chattanooga, TN
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 148
Mein Auto: 2013 MG 328i Sport 6MT
boltjaM3s,

I'm in the same boat as you, I have an old 3G touch with 15G of music that I will be leaving in the car. The battery is dying on the touch so I just ordered a replacement battery for $20. Don't think the clean UI is worth the $200 cradle personally, although it does look nice.

Is it true that the touch will need to be above 90% charged to be recognized by the car? And the USB port won't charge it?

I consider myself pretty techy, but this seems overly complicated. If the enthusiasts are having a hard time with something as simple as iPod integration, how does BMW expect the general public to figure this out?
Reply With Quote
  #47  
Old 07-05-2012, 09:12 AM
Technic's Avatar
Technic Technic is offline
Test... 1, 2 ,3
Location: Florida
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 4,825
Mein Auto: 2012 M3 - 2014 528i
Quote:
Originally Posted by utnuc View Post
boltjaM3s,

I'm in the same boat as you, I have an old 3G touch with 15G of music that I will be leaving in the car. The battery is dying on the touch so I just ordered a replacement battery for $20. Don't think the clean UI is worth the $200 cradle personally, although it does look nice.

Is it true that the touch will need to be above 90% charged to be recognized by the car? And the USB port won't charge it?

I consider myself pretty techy, but this seems overly complicated. If the enthusiasts are having a hard time with something as simple as iPod integration, how does BMW expect the general public to figure this out?
That only refers to the USB aftermarket modification that I explained above, not to the OEM setup.
Reply With Quote
  #48  
Old 07-05-2012, 09:25 AM
utnuc utnuc is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Chattanooga, TN
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 148
Mein Auto: 2013 MG 328i Sport 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Technic View Post
That only refers to the USB aftermarket modification that I explained above, not to the OEM setup.
Check! I thinking I'm going to go with the OEM USB cable setup. Just a shame that BMW doesn't include hardware to allow iPod out through the USB.

My new battery is sitting on my desk at home now... we'll see how rusty my soldering skills are.
Reply With Quote
  #49  
Old 07-05-2012, 11:03 AM
boltjaM3s's Avatar
boltjaM3s boltjaM3s is offline
BMW Platinum Visa® Member
Location: USA
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 7,515
Mein Auto: BMW L328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Technic View Post
Plug In/iPod Out is not supported in split screen mode -at least in the USA. Perhaps is a coding option, though.
As always, thanks again Technic.

Can I trouble you to take a few photos of what the non-cradled Split Screen looks like with an iPod song selection adjacent to the navigation map?

BJ
__________________

2013 BMW L328i Luxury Sedan | Premium Package | Technology Package | Lighting Package | Steptronic® | PDC | Apps
Mineral Grey Metallic | Saddle Leather | Anthracite | Camera | Sirius | Rolex | Trophy Wife | Beach House | Status Package®
Reply With Quote
  #50  
Old 07-05-2012, 05:39 PM
pcbrew pcbrew is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: DFW
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 578
Mein Auto: E46 330i
Technic - just to confirm:
You get ipod-out with apple USB cable if you have Assist and Apps from the factory with no charging or issues recognizing the ipod?

Also, if ipod-out takes over the whole screen, is there a way to select whether you want ipod-out only or the non-ipod-out that allows split screen?
__________________


'02 E46 330i 5MT (ED Sept '02) - SOLD
'12 F30 335i Sport 6MT (ED May '12)

Last edited by pcbrew; 07-05-2012 at 05:42 PM. Reason: added question
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 (2012 - current)
Today's Posts Search
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 04:10 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
© 2001-2011 performanceIX, Inc. All Rights Reserved .: guidelines .:. privacy .:. terms