Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E60 (2004 - 2010)

E60 (2004 - 2010)
BMW 5-Series (E60 chassis) was first seen in the Unites States in the fall of 2003 with a 2004 Model Year designation. The E60 is now available as a 528i, 528xi, 535i, 535xi, 550i and a 535xi sports wagon! -- View the E60 Wiki

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 04-05-2011, 10:49 PM
dan2875 dan2875 is offline
Registered User
Location: Olympia
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 4
Mein Auto: 2008 528xi
Malfunction codes after battery change

Hello Folks!
I just bought a 2008 528xi last weekend. The battery went dead that night after parking in downtown for a couple hours. Anyways, I drove home about 60miles on the freeway, and assumed the battery would be charged. The next morning, nothing. So I decided to get a new battery, because Ive heard of battery issues with the car, and figured because the car was sitting for so long (probably a few months on the lot),and it has almost 60000miles,I would just get it replaced. I called the dealer, because I know the batt has to be registered afterward. Anyways, besides being 30 miles away, they were booked out a couple of weeks. So, I decided I would change the battery myself and get it registered. I called interstate battery right by my house, and they said they could do it. So I jumped my car, took it down there, and they changed the battery to a mega-tron plus MTP-49/H8 100AH for $230. Anyways, right afterwards, I start the car and have a bunch of error codes. 4x4 malfunction, electrical malfunction, transmission malfunction, AWD, DSC, ABS, EBV malfunction. On top of that, my windows do not work, my remote only locks and unlocks the rear doors. I even changed the battery back to the oem, and same codes. I have bumper to bumper warranty that I bought but there is a 30 day waiting period. I still drive it to work about 2miles a day. Im planning on waiting 30 days and going to the dealer. Interstate batt says they're not liable and refuse to do anything.
Any suggestions? Thanks a bunch.
-dan
Reply With Quote
Advertisement
  #2  
Old 04-06-2011, 12:48 AM
2chill's Avatar
2chill 2chill is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Long Island, NY
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 920
Mein Auto: 2008 528XI
I'm full of questions as I don't understand half of what you are talking about due to vague info.

1) Where is Olympia? Are you in the state of Washington? Canada? Greece?

2) Did you buy the car from a BMW dealership or a regular used car dealer?

3) If you only bought the car last weekend, didn't they give you a base warranty?

4) If you bought from BMW, is there another dealer you can take it to?

5) Did interstate ever register the new battery to the car?

The dealer who said they are booked out a couple of weeks sounds to me like they are giving you the shaft because you didn't buy the battery from them. I would ask to speak to a manager. As for Interstate, it probably will be hard to hold them responsible. No real damage done. The car's codes just need to be reset if the battery wasn't registered properly.
__________________

PP, CWP, NAV, satelite radio, USB, Folding Rear Seats.

Last edited by 2chill; 04-06-2011 at 12:50 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 04-06-2011, 05:47 AM
Raymond Lee Raymond Lee is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Lake Forest, CA
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 245
Send a message via AIM to Raymond Lee
Mein Auto: BMW and MBZ
I would follow 2Chills' suggestion.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 04-06-2011, 10:08 AM
Munich77 Munich77 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Washington DC
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 3,019
Mein Auto: 2014 E550 4matic
If you take a look at the Roundel, unfortunately for our cars, you have to get the battery from the dealer because of the computers.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 06-26-2012, 08:24 PM
umermariner umermariner is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: NJ
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 108
Mein Auto: 2000 (E46 )328I
Quote:
Originally Posted by dan2875 View Post
Hello Folks!
I just bought a 2008 528xi last weekend. The battery went dead that night after parking in downtown for a couple hours. Anyways, I drove home about 60miles on the freeway, and assumed the battery would be charged. The next morning, nothing. So I decided to get a new battery, because Ive heard of battery issues with the car, and figured because the car was sitting for so long (probably a few months on the lot),and it has almost 60000miles,I would just get it replaced. I called the dealer, because I know the batt has to be registered afterward. Anyways, besides being 30 miles away, they were booked out a couple of weeks. So, I decided I would change the battery myself and get it registered. I called interstate battery right by my house, and they said they could do it. So I jumped my car, took it down there, and they changed the battery to a mega-tron plus MTP-49/H8 100AH for $230. Anyways, right afterwards, I start the car and have a bunch of error codes. 4x4 malfunction, electrical malfunction, transmission malfunction, AWD, DSC, ABS, EBV malfunction. On top of that, my windows do not work, my remote only locks and unlocks the rear doors. I even changed the battery back to the oem, and same codes. I have bumper to bumper warranty that I bought but there is a 30 day waiting period. I still drive it to work about 2miles a day. Im planning on waiting 30 days and going to the dealer. Interstate batt says they're not liable and refuse to do anything.
Any suggestions? Thanks a bunch.
-dan
Any update????

Did you take care of it? If yes, how, and what needed to be done.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 06-26-2012, 08:44 PM
Jaycal3's Avatar
Jaycal3 Jaycal3 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Ct
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 288
Mein Auto: 2004 545i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Munich77 View Post
If you take a look at the Roundel, unfortunately for our cars, you have to get the battery from the dealer because of the computers.
Are you fricken serious???? FALSE....

Additionally, Here in CT you get a 30 or 60 day warranty with a used car by law... do you not get something similar where you are?
__________________
Deceased - 2004 BMW 545i Black/Auburn
-Sports Suspension, Premium and Cold Weather Package, Logic 7 Professional Audio, Rear Sunblinds, Adaptive Xenon Headlights, Active Steering, staggered setup on 124's, Aux Input

Mods
MTEC V3.0 AE's, Black and white roundels, Clear LED Side-markers, New Conti ExtremeContact DWS's, Charcoal Filter Delete, 35% Tint, 20%rear.


http://s705.photobucket.com/albums/w...%20BMW%20545i/

GARY BETTMAN IS A TOOL!

Last edited by Jaycal3; 06-26-2012 at 08:46 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 06-26-2012, 09:53 PM
2chill's Avatar
2chill 2chill is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Long Island, NY
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 920
Mein Auto: 2008 528XI
Quote:
Originally Posted by umermariner View Post
Any update????

Did you take care of it? If yes, how, and what needed to be done.

Thanks.
I would think this was taken car of since this thread is over a year old...but he never did let us know what the outcome was. Also, since he never posted anything ever again, I doubt we'll ever get an answer.
__________________

PP, CWP, NAV, satelite radio, USB, Folding Rear Seats.

Last edited by 2chill; 06-26-2012 at 09:56 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 06-26-2012, 10:44 PM
dan2875 dan2875 is offline
Registered User
Location: Olympia
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 4
Mein Auto: 2008 528xi
All it needed was a reprogram. the place I got it from just reprogrammed it for me. apparently, the battery was a different type than oem.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 06-27-2012, 06:51 AM
umermariner umermariner is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: NJ
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 108
Mein Auto: 2000 (E46 )328I
Quote:
Originally Posted by dan2875 View Post
All it needed was a reprogram. the place I got it from just reprogrammed it for me. apparently, the battery was a different type than oem.
Oh ok...
How much he charged? You ever looked into reprogramming it yourself for maybe next time?
If yes, any insights?
Thanks.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 06-27-2012, 07:26 AM
dan2875 dan2875 is offline
Registered User
Location: Olympia
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 4
Mein Auto: 2008 528xi
It was free cause I had just bought it. Have no idea how to program myself...
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 06-27-2012, 07:58 AM
umermariner umermariner is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: NJ
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 108
Mein Auto: 2000 (E46 )328I
Quote:
Originally Posted by dan2875 View Post
It was free cause I had just bought it. Have no idea how to program myself...
Programming was free coz you just bought the battery :O.. which place is that :O
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 12-01-2012, 01:43 PM
vimendoz vimendoz is offline
Registered User
Location: California
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 7
Mein Auto: 2008 528i
hello,
I had my battery replaced yesterday due to an emergency and not close to any bmw dealer and I put the same battery that you install.
now the exact same errors are appearing on my 2008 528i.
please tell me what did you do to fix it and how much did it costs you?
I am way out of warranty and will like to see how much is the damage going to be.

thanks so much
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 12-01-2012, 04:04 PM
dan2875 dan2875 is offline
Registered User
Location: Olympia
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 4
Mein Auto: 2008 528xi
i took it back to the place i bought it from, and all they did was reprogram the computer, because the battery types are different. Hope that helps.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 12-02-2012, 05:02 PM
longerone longerone is offline
Registered User
Location: Nigeria
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 32
Mein Auto: 328xi coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by dan2875 View Post
i took it back to the place i bought it from, and all they did was reprogram the computer, because the battery types are different. Hope that helps.
By implication, my understanding is that if you change your battery with the original type OEM, NO error codes will show up.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 12-02-2012, 09:38 PM
H F H F is online now
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Claremont California
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 1,541
Mein Auto: 2005 545i
i myself have installed two batteries from auto zone in my car , never had them registered. never had any problems. alls i did is put in the battery with the same characteristics as the original, the only thing ihad to do is reset the clock and date. actually the battery i installed is actually for a mercedes.cause it had more cranking amps . and it fit inthe compartment better. was closer to the original battery size. Some aftermarket batteries are smaller than the original, i really dont think registering the battery is necessary, only cause i havent had any issues. can someone explain why registering the battery is nessesary,
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 12-03-2012, 06:32 AM
longerone longerone is offline
Registered User
Location: Nigeria
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 32
Mein Auto: 328xi coupe
Dan 2875 needs to buy this battery http://www.autozone.com/autozone/par...ries/_/N-af333
The likely error to get will be only the AWD steering, which will clear after starting the vehicle and turning the steering to extreme left and right.
Also you can reset your computer by yourself, if you have the OBD 2 cable and learn to program it.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 12-03-2012, 09:09 AM
Phil75070 Phil75070 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: McKinney, TX
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 101
Mein Auto: 545i
My indy replaced my dieing battery in my '05 545i with an Interstate mtp-93. Reviews on this battery are all excellent.
__________________
2005 545i, Jet Black, Black Leather, Cold Weather pkg, Logic7, 6 disk changer, Sport Package, Automatic, moonroof, electric rear sun shade, dark wood trim, PDC, Xenon Adaptive lights, Nav, Sat radio, 245/40 ZR18 - 275/35 ZR18 tires, Progman 30.02
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 12-30-2012, 06:53 PM
saintaz@cox.net saintaz@cox.net is offline
Registered User
Location: chandler
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 4
Mein Auto: BMW 525
2005 BMW 525i-read all the code stuff and was hesitant-went to OReilly and the kid was insistant it was like changing a battery on any other car. Sure enough just had to reset date and time. What I noted when they showed me the battery options-some batteries needed to have reprogramming and some did not. I bought one ($134.00) that did not specify reprogramming and it all works great.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E60 (2004 - 2010)
Today's Posts Search
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 01:51 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
© 2001-2011 performanceIX, Inc. All Rights Reserved .: guidelines .:. privacy .:. terms