Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)

X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)
E70 BMW X5 produced between 2007 and 2013. Discuss the E70 X5 with other BMW owners here.

Old 06-24-2012, 03:12 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 X5 35i Premium
2013 X5 settings question

Love my new (my first BMW) 2013 X5 35i Premium. Getting to know the controls, etc.

I have noticed that there are several settings that are not retained after vehicle turned off:

1) Ventilated seat
2) Automatic wipers

I had assumed these would be just like any other climate or light setting and would not have to be reactivated every time the car was started. Am I missing something or is this the expected behavior?

Thanks
Bruce
Ads by Google
Old 06-25-2012, 12:01 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: X5 Diesel xDrive35d
Yes some of these do not persist. Likewise the automatic high beam controller and the seat warmer also do not persist.

Some of them will persist for about 30 minutes after which the car will fully go to sleep and you will have to reactivate it at next key-on.
Old 06-25-2012, 08:16 AM

Mein Auto: Holden Wagon & Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by RPsX5d View Post
Some of them will persist for about 30 minutes after which the car will fully go to sleep and you will have to reactivate it at next key-on.

I've never had a car/truck where things activated by a button push are retained. I was impressed that seat cooling/active seat/wipers/etc are retained for quick stops for fuel or rest areas.

Jay
Old 06-25-2012, 08:30 PM

Mein Auto: X5 Diesel xDrive35d
Quote:
Originally Posted by jashearer View Post

I've never had a car/truck where things activated by a button push are retained. I was impressed that seat cooling/active seat/wipers/etc are retained for quick stops for fuel or rest areas.

Jay
Yes this feature impressed me too . . . this is my first BMW, initially I felt all these subtle features were making the car unnecessarily complicated, two weeks into owning the car I got completely addicted to them! Now when I get into another comparably equipped/priced car, I turly miss these features.

BMW handling is obvious and well known, these subtle features (settings persisting, location of various controls, turn signal lever design/operation, etc) - initially may feel a bit awkward, but within a few days they start to feel PERFECT - never felt that way on, say GM products - even after ten years some of those GM design choices felt odd!

Two years and 35,000+ miles later, I only have one complaint and one regret - software engineers at BMW must be ex Windows guys - let us throw it out there and follow it up with a bunch of patches. Yes under software I also include the nav system. BMW needs to take a few lessons from the Apple folks . . . take a more "yes we can" approach with better results - some political pun intended!

Regret - not getting AD . . . hopefully in the 2016/17 timeframe the European X5 diesels will start showing up here!
Old 06-27-2012, 06:40 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 X5 35i Premium
I agree the car is very well thought out. I have had cars with automatic brights and with automatic rain-sensing wipers and they were operated mechanically so they stayed however you left them. I don't really see these as "per trip" functions and are really more driver preferences that should apply every time you drive and I expected them to be retained with other settings. I would say that the ventilated seat, heated seat, etc. are just part of the climate control preferences and should be retained as well. Active seat is more of a per trip setting (but actually would make more sense to me to set it to activate after X minutes into a trip).

Obviously minor issues and they do not detract from the otherwise great vehicle.

Bruce