Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E53 (1999 - 2006)

X5 E53 (1999 - 2006)
The X5 SAV Forum

Old 06-26-2012, 04:51 AM

Mein Auto: X5
Mayday mayday mayday

BMW X5 4.4i 2004

Got stuck yesterday driving back to the capital from a village in the hinterland of Ghana. Car was doing great until I got the Trans. FailSafe, Red Brake warning yellow ABS and DSC/4x4 lights come on.

Car continued on without any problems except for the warnings still on. Then as it got dark I switched on the headlamps and after about 20mins the headlamps started to go off and on with the car simultaneously revving down to idle . Had to finally stop and got her towed to a friends place. Now also have the Service engine soon warning light too.

I recently changed the battery about 5 months ago and did a thorough service on her 2 months ago and the car runs great just can't figure this one out.

Ran a test this morning and got these codes.
5014 Battery Voltage
53FC Supply, control unit: terminal 30
5F3A Transfer case
5F42 Transmission control limp home
5E52 Wheel Speed sensor EMC front right
5E28 Wheel Speed sensor EMC front left
5DCE Control Module, under voltage
5F02 Wheel-speed sensors-general

Would really appreciate any help and advice from the forum.

Thanks Folks.
Advertisement
Old 06-26-2012, 06:04 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: x5 E53
sounds like a battery or alternator issue, you should have the battery checked and check how much charge the alternator is putting back into the battery.

I would not look at the other faults until you know for sure that the above are working correctly, as many faults appear if the voltage is low on the X5.

Phil
Old 06-26-2012, 04:16 PM

Thanks Phil.......Will get the battery and Alternator checked and tested in the morning and keep you posted. Had the X5 ride on a flatbed back into the city today.
Old 06-28-2012, 07:22 AM

Got the Alternator and battery checked today and all looked ok.
Guys at the garage couldn't figure it out and now I'm down to surfing the net trying to get an answer..

That's wat its like when ur down here.
Old 06-28-2012, 01:08 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: x5 E53
have you had a look on

http://www.xoutpost.com/

this site is usually very good, had a look at some similar problem threads that you have described and they all seem to point at either bad battery or alternator or both, hope you find the answer, and keep us posted.

Phill