Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > Welcome to Bimmerfest > New Member Introductions

New Member Introductions
Welcome to Bimmerfest! Whether you are a current BMW owner or just interested in BMW cars, we hope you enjoy your visit. Take a moment to introduce yourself and post a picture of your BMW for the rest of the community to see.

Old 06-25-2012, 06:46 PM

Mein Auto: 99 honda accord
New Guy Here HIYA!!!!

Yes im a noob to BMWs. Ive been waiting 15 years to get one and now have the chance to. Im looking at a 2002 525i has 102,xxx on the clock. and runs fantastic. my ? is, is their anything i should be on the lookout for matenance wise. I have the carfax and looks like it has been very well taken care of. for 10gs i dont think i could pass this up.
Advertisement
Old 06-30-2012, 01:14 PM

Mein Auto: 530i
Love that E39!

Hey there! Congrats if you already grabbed your car... such a pretty bimmer!! I have a 2001 530i that my insurance just totaled after the MASSIVE hail storm here several weeks ago... insane storm... and damage to my baby . Funny thing is I should be thrilled as my insurance was very, very nice to me, but not so much... and that's how much I love my car .

I'm now around 110K miles, but bought my 530 in great condition in 2003 and have experienced several issues over the past 3 years that, while somewhat expected, could have been incredibly expensive. The most valuable advice ever... if you don't already know someone, get a personal referral to a good (and honest) mechanic who knows BMWs and won't mind if you decide to order your own parts to be installed. The E39s are awesome, but fix-it trips to a dealership will put you in the poorhouse very quickly. Doing your homework will save you a small fortune... trust me... pennies on the dollar. Autohausaz.com has also been a great resource for me... when ordering parts, their site will suggest additional parts you might need to fix the issue - yes, it's a smart sales tool for them, but it's also a good heads up... or at least something to ask your mech about.

As for the issues - finally! Just remember that these E39s tend to run on the warm side... so be sure to double check all things plastic/rubber under the hood. Every issue I have had has been due to leaks, cracks, and belt slips. A power steering leak and radiator leak were the most critical (obviously). Definitely check the radiator/cooling system as these really do need to be replaced every 50-60,000 miles. These rad. tanks have a bad habit of cracking around the 'neck'. Mine did... in the middle of nowhere on Thanksgiving. Thank God for AAA! However, ordered my own parts, had them installed... entire cooling system replaced for around $750 total. You may also want to check all window seals and make sure the power windows run smoothly... I have had one 'fall' on me after running sluggish. That fix was more expensive than my cooling system...

Good Grief! Sorry for the endless spill! I am rarely here, but happened to see your post and thought my input my be helpful... GOOD LUCK with your new baby... I'm jealous!!