Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)

X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)
E70 BMW X5 produced between 2007 and 2013. Discuss the E70 X5 with other BMW owners here.

Old 06-17-2012, 09:14 AM

Mein Auto: 2012 X5 35d-AW/Tobacco
1 Week Review-2012 X5 diesel

It has been a week to the day since I first drove our new X5. This is not only our first BMW, but our first diesel as well. In short, I love both aspects of our vehicle. We have been in the hunt for the BMW since Feb 2011, but waited to get through a deployment before taking delivery of one. Originally we had test drove and were pricing out an X3, but ultimately decided for the X5 for the added room, design and diesel option.

Our color combo is Alpine White and Tobacco. This is the first white vehicle I have owned and is very pretty, but I notice it dirties easily...just gives me a reason to take it for a wash and baby it. The tobacco is absolutely the most beautiful interior I could imagine. We almost went with the oyster, which is very nice, but boy I am very pleased with the tobacco. Trust me when I say, no picture does the color justice. It is rich, dark, and very luxurious. I was worried based upon what I had seen online that it was going to be lighter, and that the carpet was going to have a "pink" hue to it based upon some other posts. That was a big plus with the oyster-the two tone with the black flooring, etc. But I think the tobacco all around is absolutely gorgeous and pairs well with the dark bamboo trim and the sport package's black headliner.

As mentioned we have the sport package, to include the 20" 214s. After a year and change of reading, we were expecting a pretty firm ride on the 20s and RFT. To my surprise, the ride is pretty smooth. And we are driving in the city, on Italian roads...not the most well maintained roads. On the highway it is silk smooth. We also have the premium package, premium audio package, and running boards. The running boards are great for my young son, and rather short wife (4'10") but I do see how some folks think they are a bit in the way on exiting the vehicle. But the pros outweigh the cons. Oh, we also have the comfort seats...awesome, most comfortable seating I have ever had in a car.

Now, for what becomes a heated conversation for some...the diesel engine. It's almost like Republicans vs. Democrats on the forum sometimes when it comes to diesel vs. gas. Again, this is our first diesel. After the research online in general about diesel engines, and then specifically about the X5 diesel I knew I wanted to at least test drive it. After the first 5 minutes driving one I was hooked. The torque, sound of the engine and the improved MPG sold me. Our first tank last 14 days (my wife picked up the car a week before I returned) we got 465 out of the tank and probably could have gone another 20 miles...so figure we averaged roughly 22 miles a gallon with 80% city driving, in a rather hilly area. Not bad at all...our last SUV gasser got us about 300 a tank if we were lucky. I think the 6-Speed trans is just right, the power is delivered well throughout the ride.

In short, the X5 diesel is a great choice and fit for us. Over time I am sure we will come to find things we would change, but we are very pleased with the purchase overall...and I can't say enough how much fun it is to drive-the weight, the handling, the power...just a great vehicle.
Ads by Google
Old 06-17-2012, 01:15 PM

Mein Auto: 550i
Congratulations

And reads as though all is well too. I have one on order, with tobacco interior, which I have not seen other than in pictures. So I was pleased to read that you are very happy with the color choice. Obviously colors are a very personal choice and likes/dislikes vary , but still glad to read your review. Enjoy

2012 X5 XDrive35d Sparkling Bronze/Tobacco - 08/12 Delivered
2010 550i Deep Sea Blue/Natural Brown - M Sport - ED 10/12/09 - ReDelivery December 2009
2007 335i Coupe Arctic/Saddle Brown - Sport - ED-01/12/07 - ReDelivery March 2007
Old 06-18-2012, 04:00 AM

Mein Auto: 2009 X5 Xdrive 3.5d
Bought my 35d in August of 2009. It is titanium over tobacco with dark bamboo trim. Our CA tried everything to talk us out of the tobacco, but we are really glad that we stuck with it. My wife and I think the color combination is great. The only down side is the lead time for replacement trim panels. One of the B pillar trim panels needed to be replaced and it took weeks to get the part since tobacco is not a very common color in the US. To me, that is a minor inconvenience for having a unique car, but thought I would throw it out there for others to contemplate.
Old 06-18-2012, 12:02 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Send a message via AIM to sfbayrealtor1 Send a message via Yahoo to sfbayrealtor1 Send a message via Skype™ to sfbayrealtor1
Mein Auto: BMW X5 35d
Congrats on your 35d!

Congrats on your 35d!

I just picked up my 35d last Friday 6/15/12, and so far...totally digging it. Quite impressed with the gas mileage (or rather, diesel mileage). It's got a different kind of engine roar, which is cool in it's own way.

We've got a brand new baby girl, thus the reason for the new set of bigger wheels. I think she'll be ready in 3 years for her first trip to Europe for another ED

Allow me to introduce Sofia:

2014 328ix GT - LiquidBlueMet/Blk Dakota/Anthracite/Premium/Tech/ - Wife's first ED on 05/14/14, Re-Delivery ????
2012 X5 35D - SaphireBlack/Black Nevada/Anthracite/Premium/NAV - No ED this time (New baby girl! )
2010 535i - CarbonBlack/NatBrn Dakota/Anthracite/M-Sport/NAV - ED on 09/09/09, Re-Delivery on 11/10/09
2007 530i - TiSilver/Blk Dakota/Anthracite/Step/Sport/NAV/RTTI - ED on 10/20/06, Re-Delivery 12/14/2006
www.CalPacBrokers.com
Old 06-18-2012, 01:50 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 X5 35d
Congrats on the new ride, I am enjoying mine as well. Coming from a 335d, the X5 is much louder outside. I am thinking it is caused by the higher ground clearance and the lack of padding under the hood. It does sound more truck like. I have put 1,100 miles in two weeks, no issues so far. Still getting use to the high seating position.

Sfbayrealtor1, congrats on the new baby girl! She is beautiful. My two girls out grew my 3er, that's why I made the switch to the X5. I had the 545i when they were babies.

Retired 2011 335d AW, M Sport, Premium and Convenience pkg, Heated Seats, Nav, HK, iPod/USB, smart phone. ED 8/31/10

Retired 2008 335i Coupe 6-speed Manual, Montego Blue, Sport, Premium, CW, Nav, PDC, AS, Shade, HD, Sat, Ipod/USB, Logic 7, CA
PCD 11/07

Retired 2004 545i Sapphire Black/Black 6-speed Manual, Sport.
Old 06-30-2012, 03:22 PM

Mein Auto: x5 diesel
I have the x5 35D 2012 I can't get the car to load my contacts from my phone. I have a car that is incompatible with my phone and I need them to work. Futhermore my son's have iphone and the cars has dropped the pairing and call regularly I had a 2009 gas model x5 The same phone worked perfectly on that car This new car is a Lemon I want my Money back. I should have bought a Mercedes. I have spent hour on multiple days at the service they say they solve the drop calls and pairing disconnect problem. But can't get the contacts to load. The say an Iphone will load the names. Indeed it will in the pass but I can't just get another phone particularly after their own website says the phone should be compatible, for phone and contacts via blue tooth. BMW knoew about this problem yet has not fixed it.
Old 06-30-2012, 04:25 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 X5 35D /2011 M37X
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tone59 View Post
I have the x5 35D 2012 I can't get the car to load my contacts from my phone. I have a car that is incompatible with my phone and I need them to work. Futhermore my son's have iphone and the cars has dropped the pairing and call regularly I had a 2009 gas model x5 The same phone worked perfectly on that car This new car is a Lemon I want my Money back. I should have bought a Mercedes. I have spent hour on multiple days at the service they say they solve the drop calls and pairing disconnect problem. But can't get the contacts to load. The say an Iphone will load the names. Indeed it will in the pass but I can't just get another phone particularly after their own website says the phone should be compatible, for phone and contacts via blue tooth. BMW knoew about this problem yet has not fixed it.
Not sure what this problem BMW knows about, I have an Android phone, have no problem loading contacts via bluetooth, have you checked the settings in your phone , have you manually tried to load your contacts ? I would also say you would be hard pressed for a lemon case since this could possibly be a phone issue ?
Old 06-30-2012, 06:00 PM

Send a message via AIM to sfbayrealtor1 Send a message via Yahoo to sfbayrealtor1 Send a message via Skype™ to sfbayrealtor1
Mein Auto: BMW X5 35d
Hmm. Strange. That stinks Tone59.

I too have a 2012 x5d and haven't experienced any Bluetooth pairing or contact syncing issues. I've got 2 iPhones (4 and 4s) and an iPad3 paired up just fine. It looks like it allows you to save up to 5 paired Bluetooth devices. My primary phone has about 2,000 contacts (which sync every time the car boots up)...no glitches in the past 3 weeks of ownership. FYI there is a system / Bluetooth update available. You can actually perform it yourself with a USB thumb drive. instructions ate posted here: http://www.bmw.com/com/en/owners/nav...ndingpage.html

It looks like it adds support for additional phones. Hope that helps.

2014 328ix GT - LiquidBlueMet/Blk Dakota/Anthracite/Premium/Tech/ - Wife's first ED on 05/14/14, Re-Delivery ????
2012 X5 35D - SaphireBlack/Black Nevada/Anthracite/Premium/NAV - No ED this time (New baby girl! )
2010 535i - CarbonBlack/NatBrn Dakota/Anthracite/M-Sport/NAV - ED on 09/09/09, Re-Delivery on 11/10/09
2007 530i - TiSilver/Blk Dakota/Anthracite/Step/Sport/NAV/RTTI - ED on 10/20/06, Re-Delivery 12/14/2006
www.CalPacBrokers.com