Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)

X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)
E70 BMW X5 produced between 2007 and 2013. Discuss the E70 X5 with other BMW owners here.

Old 07-01-2012, 08:13 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2012 X5 xDrive 35d
Brand new 2012 X5d... in need of repairs, already!!!

Well, BMW managed to spoil my new car experience.

Yesterday, I received my 2012 X5d which I have leased from an out of town dealership. Someone drove the car to my address, and the car had about 400 miles on it when I received it (it was a 7 hour drive). The car is spotless, as expected for a new car. I drove it on a couple of short trips with no problems detected. And then my in-laws made it to town for July 4th. As we're driving back from the airport, I started hearing a thumping noise in the engine bay. Initially, it was faint but definitely there. I kept going because I surely did not want to stop in the middle of nowhere, with my in-laws in the car!... We finally make it home, and by now the sound is definitely noticeable. I open the hood with the engine stopped, and I couldn't see anything wrong. I turned the engine on, and now I could see something that appears to be a sliver hanging from the belt... The thumping frequency is proportional to the engine RPM which supports this being a belt issue, I think....

So, I have a few questions I would appreciate any answers to or help with.

1. Is this a known issue with 2012 X5ds? Has anyone else had a similar issue with their car when it was new?

2. The out of town dealer FedExed the lease contract which was supposed to make it before the car for me to sign and return with the driver (who also picked up my old X5d and drove it back to the dealership). For some reason, the mail was delayed and will be here sometime on Monday, so I now have a new car in need of repairs, the lease of which I have not even signed. Should I sign the lease or not?

3. I realize any repairs should be covered by the warranty but does the warranty even kick in before a lease contract is signed? In other words, if I take the car to the local dealership for repairs on Monday in the morning, who will be responsible for the repair cost?

4. I'm not a mechanic but can only imagine that if the belt breaks or something, the car will obviously be immediately immobilized, not to mention the potential damage to other parts of the engine a loose belt flying all over can cause...So, should I drive the car to the dealership on Monday or should it be towed there? Fortunately the dealership is only about 4 or 5 miles from home.

So, here's my new car experience so far. Thanks BMW!
Advertisement
Old 07-01-2012, 08:51 AM
Stargate Champion

Mein Auto: 2013 X5 35i M Sport
first I would take a deep breath....**** happens.
This seems like a very minor inconvenience...as far as warranty goes, dont stress. Your under warranty regardless of signing the lease.

The chances of a broken belt doing more damage than a tow truck are highly unlikely. Drive the car to your dealer in the morning and relax and dont sign the lease just yet.

Last edited by X5FX; 07-01-2012 at 09:22 AM.
Old 07-01-2012, 08:53 AM

Mein Auto: '12 X5 35D White
I wouldn't sign it as the car was not running perfectly as a new car should be. Make them send you another one. It's on them as long as you don't sign to make it right.
Old 07-01-2012, 09:00 AM

Mein Auto: 08 X5 3.0
I will not sign lease for THAT car, let them bring you another one.
Old 07-01-2012, 09:35 AM
Resident Curmudgeon

Mein Auto: '12 X5 35d/E39M5/996TTX50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marwan View Post

Yesterday, I received my 2012 X5d which I have leased from an out of town dealership. Someone drove the car to my address, and the car had about 400 miles on it when I received it (it was a 7 hour drive). The car is spotless, as expected for a new car. I drove it on a couple of short trips with no problems detected. And then my in-laws made it to town for July 4th. As we're driving back from the airport, I started hearing a thumping noise in the engine bay. Initially, it was faint but definitely there. I kept going because I surely did not want to stop in the middle of nowhere, with my in-laws in the car!... We finally make it home, and by now the sound is definitely noticeable. I open the hood with the engine stopped, and I couldn't see anything wrong. I turned the engine on, and now I could see something that appears to be a sliver hanging from the belt... The thumping frequency is proportional to the engine RPM which supports this being a belt issue, I think....

1. Is this a known issue with 2012 X5ds? Has anyone else had a similar issue with their car when it was new?

2. The out of town dealer FedExed the lease contract which was supposed to make it before the car for me to sign and return with the driver (who also picked up my old X5d and drove it back to the dealership). For some reason, the mail was delayed and will be here sometime on Monday, so I now have a new car in need of repairs, the lease of which I have not even signed. Should I sign the lease or not?

3. I realize any repairs should be covered by the warranty but does the warranty even kick in before a lease contract is signed? In other words, if I take the car to the local dealership for repairs on Monday in the morning, who will be responsible for the repair cost?

4. I'm not a mechanic but can only imagine that if the belt breaks or something, the car will obviously be immediately immobilized, not to mention the potential damage to other parts of the engine a loose belt flying all over can cause...So, should I drive the car to the dealership on Monday or should it be towed there? Fortunately the dealership is only about 4 or 5 miles from home.

"BMW has ruined your new car experience"???? Oh Please.

What a F lipp- ing victim.

The dealer was doing you a favor and making this work for you despite not having signed the lease- this is commendable. If you dont sign the lease, you simply confirm what many dealers already think: Customers are dicks who cannot be trusted and who are just out to get whatever they can.

Sounds like a bad belt or something stuck in the belt ('something silver'...can people be so inept with the physical world???) Drive it to the dealer Monday AM. If they cannot fix it immediately, THEN call the selling dealer and tell them they either get it fixed immediately or they can swap cars back.... My point is that bad parts happen- do not blame the dealers about that; but DO blame them on how they handle it, and so far you've not even started on the path to 'handle it'. To get pissed off, and plan retribution for an unfortunate part failure is petulant and unrealistic.

Last edited by ard; 07-01-2012 at 10:28 AM.
Old 07-01-2012, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ard View Post

What a F-ing victim.

The dealer was doing you a favor and making this work for you despite not having signed the lease- this is commendable. If you dont sign the lease, you simply confirm what many dealers already think: Customers are dicks who cannot be trusted and who are just out to get whatever they can.

Sounds like a bad belt or something stuck in the belt ('something silver'...can people be so inept with the physical world???) Drive it to the dealer Monday AM. If they cannot fix it immediately, THEN call the selling dealer and tell them they either get it fixed immediately or they can swap cars back.... My point is that bad parts happen- do not blame the dealers about that; but DO blame them on how they handle it, and so far you've not even started on the path to 'handle it'. To get pissed off, and plan retribution for an unfortunate part failure is petulant and unrealistic.
Ard,

What in the world are you talking about?!!!! Your whole tirade is based on me being upset at the dealer, which I am absolutely NOT. Matter of fact I was just on the phone with them and they offered to contact my local dealer on Monday to arrange for taking care of the car. I could not be HAPPIER with the way the dealer is handling this!... I am upset at BMW, the car company that is, for lack of quality control. That's all. And under the circumstance, I think I'm entitled, irrespective of your opinion on this. And I did say "sliver", not silver, so for you to be wondering if people can be so inept is quite ironic!!!

For God's sake man, please do carefully read and understand peoples' posts before you fire back knee jerk replies that completely miss the point and contain inappropriate words.

Mods, since when is the use of "F...ing" and "dicks" allowed on the forum?!
Old 07-01-2012, 10:29 AM

Mein Auto: German
Quote:

What a F lipp- ing victim.
This.

**** happens. Let them fix it. Don't sign the lease agreement until it's been fixed. Simple as that.
Old 07-01-2012, 10:32 AM

Mein Auto: '15 M4; '11 X5d
Ard,
OT to this thread, but check your PM
2015--V60 Polestar (#62:80)
2012--E92 335is*
2011--E70 X5d
2011--E89 Z435is*
2009--E89 Z435i*
2008--E92 335i [ED 2/23/08]*
2007--MkV GTI*
2006--E90 330i*
2005--E83 X3*
2004--E83 X3*
2003--E46 325Ci*
*retired
Old 07-01-2012, 11:05 AM
Resident Curmudgeon

Mein Auto: '12 X5 35d/E39M5/996TTX50
Quote:
Ard,

What in the world are you talking about?!!!! Your whole tirade is based on me being upset at the dealer, which I am absolutely NOT. Matter of fact I was just on the phone with them and they offered to contact my local dealer on Monday to arrange for taking care of the car. I could not be HAPPIER with the way the dealer is handling this!... I am upset at BMW, the car company that is, for lack of quality control. That's all. And under the circumstance, I think I'm entitled, irrespective of your opinion on this. And I did say "sliver", not silver, so for you to be wondering if people can be so inept is quite ironic!!!

For God's sake man, please do carefully read and understand peoples' posts before you fire back knee jerk replies that completely miss the point and contain inappropriate words.

Mods, since when is the use of "F...ing" and "dicks" allowed on the forum?!

Still whining?: Now about language? (Lemme guess, you are goijng to report this to the mods?)

You are not upset? Really? 3 posts, here, in ask a dealer section and over on xoputpost?

You are threatening the DEALER with not leasing (ie going back on your word) due to how BMW has quality controlled a belt with 400 miles on it. Your post, not mine- two people above said 'return the car'... that was what you asked, right?

Here's the deal- stiuff happens, real men just deal with it and move on. (I read sliver but it auto-corrected to silver- no difference in my meaning.) The histrionics with cross posting, and complaining are clearly indicative of someone who has so weird axe to grind over nothing.
Old 07-01-2012, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by X5FX View Post
first I would take a deep breath....**** happens.
This seems like a very minor inconvenience...as far as warranty goes, dont stress. Your under warranty regardless of signing the lease.

The chances of a broken belt doing more damage than a tow truck are highly unlikely. Drive the car to your dealer in the morning and relax and dont sign the lease just yet.

X5FX,

I appreciate the advice and will heed it but I'll wait to hear form the dealer I leased with first. They're going to contact my local dealership here to make sure everything is set before I take the car there tomorrow in the morning. Thanks again.
Old 07-01-2012, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Still whining?: Now about language? (Lemme guess, you are goijng to report this to the mods?)

You are not upset? Really? 3 posts, here, in ask a dealer section and over on xoputpost?

You are threatening the DEALER with not leasing (ie going back on your word) due to how BMW has quality controlled a belt with 400 miles on it. Your post, not mine- two people above said 'return the car'... that was what you asked, right?

Here's the deal- stiuff happens, real men just deal with it and move on. (I read sliver but it auto-corrected to silver- no difference in my meaning.) The histrionics with cross posting, and complaining are clearly indicative of someone who has so weird axe to grind over nothing.
"You are not upset? Really? 3 posts, here, in ask a dealer section and over on xoputpost?"

I clearly said that I actually AM upset at BMW. Please do carefully read and understand posts before you reply.

"You are threatening the DEALER with not leasing (ie going back on your word) due to how BMW has quality controlled a belt with 400 miles on it. Your post, not mine- two people above said 'return the car'... that was what you asked, right?"

I never threatened to not sign the lease or return the car. I was just asking for advice. Again, if you only carefully read and understood posts first...

"Here's the deal- stiuff happens, real men just deal with it and move on."

Agree and I have. Can you move on too... Thanks.
Old 07-01-2012, 02:34 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 X5 35D /2011 M37X
Quote:

I wouldn't worry, you are in the driver's seat since you have not signed the lease, I would
at least try to pull on the belt just to make sure that the belt tensioner is not loose, also to ensure all pulleys are intact, if the belt is loose IMO I would not drive it to the dealership.