Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 09-28-2011, 12:44 PM

Mein Auto: 2009 335d
Quote:
Originally Posted by CT View Post
The air conditioning is almost always cold as soon as I turn it on. Why would you need remote start in the winter? Summer, maybe, to pre-cool the cabin but by the time December rolls around I don't even have to turn the A/C on full blast.
Why do we need 19s? Why do we need more power or better handling? Why does the caged bird sing?

Who cares? Some people just like the idea of starting their car before they get to it, right?
Old 09-28-2011, 02:43 PM
Motor City Madness

Mein Auto: 2007 328xi
Quote:
The air conditioning is almost always cold as soon as I turn it on. Why would you need remote start in the winter? Summer, maybe, to pre-cool the cabin but by the time December rolls around I don't even have to turn the A/C on full blast.
Those of us that live in the north understand the value of a a remote start in the winter. The summer is self explanatory with the heat. See Reasons #2 and 3:

Remote starts help clear the ice off the windshield that was left by the previous nights freezing rain, thaws the doors so that they are not iced shut and can be opened, helps clear the snow off of the glass, warms up the glass so that it doesnt fog up when you go to drive, warms the inside of the car, warms the engine... They just make winter driving better... And believe it or not, the heaters are not just a novelty item, in the northern regions, we actually use them to keep from turning blue...
Old 09-28-2011, 03:27 PM
GODSPD

Mein Auto: SSII E90 ///M, AW E92 N54
Quote:
Originally Posted by DetroitImport View Post
Those of us that live in the north understand the value of a a remote start in the winter. The summer is self explanatory with the heat. See Reasons #2 and 3:

Remote starts help clear the ice off the windshield that was left by the previous nights freezing rain, thaws the doors so that they are not iced shut and can be opened, helps clear the snow off of the glass, warms up the glass so that it doesnt fog up when you go to drive, warms the inside of the car, warms the engine... They just make winter driving better... And believe it or not, the heaters are not just a novelty item, in the northern regions, we actually use them to keep from turning blue...
HOLY %&(* WHAT IS THAT STUFF ON THE GROUND

e90m / ssii / foxred / nochrome
wedssport sa-55m 19x9.5 et24 square / kwv3 / 15mm rear spacer
full challenge exhaust

WHEELS FOR SALE
Old 09-28-2011, 03:38 PM
Motor City Madness

Quote:
~is sincerely hoping that we have entered the relm of satire and that this is just trolling~
Old 09-28-2011, 11:31 PM

Mein Auto: 07 e90 335i sport
I have remote start on my truck and it's one of the things I miss the most when I drive the BMW. To each his own as they say... But they also say don't knock it until you try it.
Old 10-01-2011, 07:12 AM

Mein Auto: 1988 528e, 2007 328i
Seriously everyone! How in the world could anyone think that remote start would not be a HUGE convenience? For those of us who live in the frozen tundra 4+ months of the year, this is a luxury. So, I am very curious as to how this works out. I would love to install a system on my 2007 328i. - Thanks!
Old 10-02-2011, 10:21 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 335i Cope
I would stay away from it, when I spoke to my dealer about installing remote start they said that they do not recommend it, I had cash in hand basically and he said that it just wasn't worth. Exact quote was "you don't want to mess around with these German electrical systems". Ill make due with the cold and snow. Just my $.02.
Old 10-02-2011, 10:22 AM

if only we were as lucky not to know.

Quote:

Last edited by RB335i; 10-02-2011 at 11:32 AM.
Old 10-02-2011, 10:42 AM
Motor City Madness

Quote:
Originally Posted by RB335i View Post
I would stay away from it, when I spoke to my dealer about installing remote start they said that they do not recommend it, I had cash in hand basically and he said that it just wasn't worth. Exact quote was "you don't want to mess around with these German electrical systems". Ill make due with the cold and snow. Just my $.02.
My local dealers told me that it just wasn't possible until I had one put in and drove in to show them, then they had us put them in some of their vehicles.
Old 10-02-2011, 11:32 AM

Really! Thats interesting. What type of remote start did you install and what was it installed on?

Last edited by RB335i; 10-02-2011 at 11:33 AM.
Old 10-02-2011, 11:36 AM
Motor City Madness

Quote:
Originally Posted by RB335i View Post
Really! Thats interesting. What type of remote start did you install and what was it installed on?
The hardware details are on the first page of this thread (post #15). I had that installed on a 2007 328xi. The DLPK module went bad on me the other day and threw some screwy warning lights, had it replaced and all is well again.

Last edited by DetroitImport; 10-02-2011 at 11:38 AM.
Old 10-02-2011, 11:43 AM

Quote:
The hardware details are on the first page of this thread (post #15). I had that installed on a 2007 328xi. The DLPK module went bad on me the other day and threw some screwy warning lights, had it replaced and all is well again.
Just read that through and it sounds like a sweet setup especially with the cell interface. I will look into this forsure. Thanks for the help!
Old 10-02-2011, 01:13 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2009 328i
Remote start equates to idling, which is illegal in many locations. If it is not illegal in your area, it should be. Legislation is often required to install common sense. Again, why do you feel you need a remote start?

Oscar
Old 10-02-2011, 01:18 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 335is DCT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oscar View Post
Remote start equates to idling, which is illegal in many locations. If it is not illegal in your area, it should be. Legislation is often required to install common sense. Again, why do you feel you need a remote start?

Oscar
Holy crap! How many times does the question need to be answered? It gets cold or hot outside. Remote start lets the car run the AC to heat up or cool down the interior before the driver/passengers get in. If it's 110 degrees outside, the car will be 120 degrees inside. Remote start means you can walk up to a car that has already cooled down significantly.

Let's keep asking this question, please. We really need more answers. Forget it. I'll just unsubscribe.
Old 10-02-2011, 01:19 PM
Motor City Madness

what do you have against idling? It is illegal in many areas because of the concern over theft or the belief that Al Gore is correct and that we are all contributing to global warming. Remote starts offer the benefits of idling to warm up/cool off the car without the need to leave the keys behind for easy theft. If you are speaking on behalf of Al Gore, sell your bimmer and go buy a prius...
Old 10-03-2011, 01:25 PM

Send a message via AIM to vern
Mein Auto: 01 330ci 05 530i 06 X3
Quote:
what do you have against idling? It is illegal in many areas because of the concern over theft or the belief that Al Gore is correct and that we are all contributing to global warming. Remote starts offer the benefits of idling to warm up/cool off the car without the need to leave the keys behind for easy theft. If you are speaking on behalf of Al Gore, sell your bimmer and go buy a prius...
Not speaking on behalf of Al Gore but excessive idling does pollute the air and waste fuel.Ever hear of stop and
start ignition to stop those two problems?
cheers
vern
2012 335iA Blk. Sapphire- Sport-Blk. Dakota Leather/Red-Brushed Alum.Trim-DAP-PP-CWP Rear View Camera-BMW Asst w/Enhanced BT&USB-High Gloss Blk.Trim Hghight-PSP-Speed Limit Info-Tech. Pkg-PDC-Rear Manual Sun Shades-SAT-Variable Sport Steering-Wheel Locks- Rubber Mats-Euro Del 5/14/12-Redelivery 7/16/12 2006 X3 3.0iA 4/6 Silver Gray Metallic-Black Leather-Nav-PP-SP-Xenon Headlights-PDC-Heated Front Seats-Privacy Glass-Servotronic Steering-Premium Sound System-R R R- Wheel Locks- Rubber Mats
Old 10-03-2011, 02:21 PM
Tastes like chicken

Mein Auto: '09 328i E93 SGM/CR
Well I love to pollute the air, and I love to waste fuel so I'm still looking for a good remote start solution for my E93. All of my other vehicles have it and it sucks to not have it on the car.
Old 10-03-2011, 02:28 PM

Mein Auto: 2009 335d
Quote:
Originally Posted by vern View Post
Ever hear of stop and
start ignition to stop those two problems?
cheers
vern
But, wait - is that really the argument here? We're talking about warming up a vehicle to operating temperature (be it hot or cold). If the concern/argument is about needlessly burning fuel during the warmup process, then we are all going to have to get block heaters for our engines (or manual transmissions). Why? Because our cars automatically increase transmission shift points when cold to speed up the warmup process. Stop/start ignition has nothing to do with this. The stop/start function does not activate if the engine is cold.

So, whatever concerns you might have about wasting fuel by remote starting the vehicle should be offset by the fuel saved by no longer requiring an increase in shift points to help heat up a cold engine.

This is a tongue-in-cheek argument. The point of it, though, is to show the absurdity of arguing about the necessity of the remote start function to a group of people that have already made up their mind that it is the right thing for them.
Old 10-03-2011, 04:16 PM

Send a message via AIM to vern
Mein Auto: 01 330ci 05 530i 06 X3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunder Dump View Post
Well I love to pollute the air, and I love to waste fuel so I'm still looking for a good remote start solution for my E93. All of my other vehicles have it and it sucks to not have it on the car.
Be carefull, some new england states and towns have laws against excessive "idling".
cheers
vern
2012 335iA Blk. Sapphire- Sport-Blk. Dakota Leather/Red-Brushed Alum.Trim-DAP-PP-CWP Rear View Camera-BMW Asst w/Enhanced BT&USB-High Gloss Blk.Trim Hghight-PSP-Speed Limit Info-Tech. Pkg-PDC-Rear Manual Sun Shades-SAT-Variable Sport Steering-Wheel Locks- Rubber Mats-Euro Del 5/14/12-Redelivery 7/16/12 2006 X3 3.0iA 4/6 Silver Gray Metallic-Black Leather-Nav-PP-SP-Xenon Headlights-PDC-Heated Front Seats-Privacy Glass-Servotronic Steering-Premium Sound System-R R R- Wheel Locks- Rubber Mats
Old 10-03-2011, 04:35 PM
(formerly SD 335is)

Mein Auto: '06 Z4 MR | '11 335is E92
I lived in the suburban Detroit area for almost 2/3 of my life. I can certainly appreciate the convenience of remote start to warm up your car. I used to achieve almost the same result by having two keys, starting the car with one and then locking it with the other. Of course you would only do this in the relative safety of your own driveway, not anywhere where someone would be likely to smash the window and steal your car, although there usually aren't many people walking around in sub-zero temps that are looking to steal a car.

Granted, you still have to go out and start a cold car but at least it was warm inside and the ice on the windows was melted when you were ready to drive away. And if you didn't do this you'd have to sit in the cold car and wait until it was warmed up anyway. Regardless of where you live and local laws it seems very unlikely that someone would get busted in their own driveway for "excessive idling".
Hers: 2011 335is Coupe (E92) | Le Mans Blue Metallic | Black Dakota Leather | Dark Glacier Aluminum | 6MT | ED 5/12/11

BMWCCA #444696 - Click to join and a chance to win a 1-Day M School at the BMW Performance Center!

Old 07-01-2012, 11:53 PM

Mein Auto: X5, 328XI
Still the same options? Or someone already installed a different set up? Just curious.