Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 07-02-2012, 07:19 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2011 328i xDrive
Replace Front Bumper or repaint?

Hello,

My front bumper is suffering from some serious road rash... Lots of long highway trips have taken a toll on the paint.... Is it more cost effective to purchase (from where I have no idea) a new bumper, or just have the existing one repainted? My hood has some chips as well...

Suggestions?

('11 E92 328i xDrive - Deep Sea Blue | '07 E92 328xi - Space Gray)
Advertisement
Old 07-02-2012, 08:19 AM
'Fest Sponsor

Mein Auto: E92
We carry the E92/E93 M3 style front bumper which fits perfectly and is very affordable. The E92/E93 M3 style front bumper is made out of Polypropylene, a very durable and ridged material that is used to make the factory body pieces. This ensure your new M3 style body parts are OEM quality and will not crack or deform. Fitment and quality of the products are perfect and you will not have a single issue with them whatsoever. The pieces do also come primed straight from the factory as well. Here are a couple more installed pictures for you to check out.

Hours: Mon - Fri 8:00am-6:00pm | Sat 8:00am-5:00pm
Check out the Blog for daily updates!
Old 07-02-2012, 08:22 AM

Mein Auto: 335I Convertible
No matter what you do you will have a repainted front bumper. New bumpers do not come from the parts supplier painted, they need to be painted to match the car. If you are going to need to have it painted anyway, you might as well have the existing bumper repainted. It is not a big deal for a good body shop.
Old 07-02-2012, 06:11 PM
wooohooo

Mein Auto: '08 335i coupe 6MT sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by brewder View Post
Hello,

My front bumper is suffering from some serious road rash... Lots of long highway trips have taken a toll on the paint.... Is it more cost effective to purchase (from where I have no idea) a new bumper, or just have the existing one repainted? My hood has some chips as well...

Suggestions?
It is more cost effective to have it repainted. Prices can vary quite a bit, and while some people may disagree, I don't think price is always related to quality. It took me at least several quotes to find someone who could guarantee work without removing the bumper (cheaper method, others will leave it on too, but won't guarantee work this way).

However, even more cost effective is DIY. Many people here have used Dr Colorchip for this kind of thing. I have both Langka and 3M chip repair kits, and finally pulled the trigger on Dr CC this past weekend, included in my first detailing supplies order of the year.

Lemme grab an excellent wet sanding tutorial for you, in case it would be called for. IMO, most rashes don't require wet sanding:

DIY: Wetsanding paint chip repair

And here is the CC how-to video:

Old 07-02-2012, 06:31 PM
*** Team America ***

Mein Auto: 335i
Quote:
Originally Posted by brewder View Post
Hello,

Suggestions?
Had the Same Problem.
I ordered a New Bumper(cover) from My dealer for 300.00(with BMWCCA Discount) --I did NOT want to have it Painted on the Car-So I had them send it down the Street for Painting off the Car-$125.00--They picked it up and Installed on my car included in a BMW Stage2 PPK--had to remove old bumper anyway.

Came out great.
Old 07-02-2012, 06:36 PM

Mein Auto: 2010 E92; '07Lexus GS350
My bra works wonders!