Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E46 (1999 - 2006)

E46 (1999 - 2006)
The fourth generation 3 Series (E46 chassis) was introduced in 1999 and set the standard for engineering and performance during it's years of production including being named to Car & Driver's 10 best list every one of those years! ! -- View the E46 Wiki

Old 07-02-2012, 05:57 PM

Mein Auto: 2000 328ci
EML & DSC light came on during hard acceleration

hello guys,

Started my 2000 328ci today everything was normal. I let it warm up for about a minute then accelerated quickly, the EML and DSC lights came on. The lights were on for maybe 15 seconds and then went off. I recently changed all my brakes and deleted my muffler about 3 weeks ago.

Any ideas as to why this happened?

Has anyone else experienced this problem?

I read a little on the issue but their are many explanations: O2 sensors, mass airflow sensor, a camshaft position sensor, bad cat converter, etc.

debating on getting codes read

Any advice would be appreciated!

Thanks
Ads by Google
Old 07-02-2012, 06:54 PM
Keeping it surreal

Mein Auto: 2004 330Ci ZHP 3 pedals
You`ll never know WHAT it is until you get the codes scanned....

*Please support the Wounded Warrior Project*

When faced with choosing between two evils, always go with the one you`ve never tried before....
Old 07-02-2012, 07:03 PM
Is it Trackday yet?

Mein Auto: 05 330ci 6MT
Your DSC light will flicker when the system is engaged. Quick acceleration with wheel slippage will cause this.

The EML light, according to the owner manual: "There is a fault in the electronic engine-management system. You can continue to drive with reduced engine output or engine speed. Please have the system inspected at your BMW Center."

If you got a Check Engine light (picture of an engine) then it could be any number of other things. These codes can be read by most code readers. I am not sure about the EML codes however.

"You drive like old people $#@%... slow and sloppy!" - George Carlin
Old 07-02-2012, 07:45 PM
ROLL TIDE!

Mein Auto: 2004 ZHP Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by jvr826 View Post
The EML light, according to the owner manual: "There is a fault in the electronic engine-management system. You can continue to drive with reduced engine output or engine speed. Please have the system inspected at your BMW Center."
Whoever wrote that is just pain lying. Ever try and drive one in EML mode? You get power to 2k rpm's and it promptly cuts out till you get below 2k rpm's again. Try going up a hill like that, it doesn't work. My 323 did this repeatedly. It ate 4, count em 4, throttle bodies. Never did figure that one out.

OP, scan for codes, you should have some.

Check out my YouTube Channel for DIY's and other fun stuff HERE
Check out my BMWBLOG!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast Bob View Post
now, go burn your Man Card, and buy yourself a Camry....