Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 07-03-2012, 07:27 AM

Mein Auto: 2006 325i
Coil Overs or Springs?

Ok so im about to buy some suspension on my 06 325i.

Im not sure if i want to go with Coil Overs (adjustable) or H&R Springs.

I will be keeping stock wheels and maybe going with spacers on them.

Just looking to see if you guys recommend springs, of what size i would need before rubbing on stock wheels. and what size rear spacers will be good.

Thanks
Ads by Google
Old 07-03-2012, 07:32 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2009 E93 N54
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Doorz View Post
If shocks aren't matched to springs, a risky purchase. Even if, do you want old shocks w/new springs?

You're way ahead w/new coilovers + rear, assuming you choose wisely.
Old 07-03-2012, 07:36 AM

Ok well this is my first BMW lol, but i have done suspension work to multiple cars before, like coilovers.

and iver always ran coilovers on my previous cars, im just not sure how BMW handle coilovers, i would love to go with them instead of springs cause i love to adjust them when i feel like it.
Old 07-03-2012, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Ok well this is my first BMW lol, but i have done suspension work to multiple cars before, like coilovers.

and iver always ran coilovers on my previous cars, im just not sure how BMW handle coilovers, i would love to go with them instead of springs cause i love to adjust them when i feel like it.
Fronts are coilovers, rears not.

Go-to vendors: Ground Control; HP Autowerks.

Poss more important: Limited Slip Differential

Seek and ye shall find the other usual suspension mods, very effective.
Old 07-03-2012, 09:31 AM

Right, Fronts are coils, and Rears are shocks with springs to adjust.

Im about to pick up the brand i used on my 96 Jetta and see how they are on a BMW
Old 07-03-2012, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Right, Fronts are coils, and Rears are shocks with springs to adjust.

Im about to pick up the brand i used on my 96 Jetta and see how they are on a BMW
Seek advice! Suspension section here often gives good response.
Old 07-03-2012, 09:44 AM
'Fest Sponsor

Mein Auto: E92, E82, E46, E39
Quote:
Ok so im about to buy some suspension on my 06 325i.

Just looking to see if you guys recommend springs, of what size i would need before rubbing on stock wheels. and what size rear spacers will be good.

Thanks
As mentioned already in the above posts, the springs wont be matched with the stock shocks, or even a set of shocks you can purchase in the aftermarket as well. Having a spring/shock combo such as a coilover that are valved for the right spring will give you worlds better comfort and performance. If you're looking for something inexpensive that will perform great, that will last a long, long time, and you want something that will give you comfort, I'd look at ST Coilovers, made by KW Suspensions:

*ST Coilovers For BMW E90/E91/E92/E93 3 Series

If you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask, I'll be here to help!
Hours: Mon - Fri 8:00am-6:00pm | Sat 8:00am-5:00pm (PST)
Check out the Blog!
Old 07-03-2012, 11:29 AM
Instructor of the Stig™

Mein Auto: Hover Car on Wheels
Quote:
what size rear spacers will be good.
I have guys running everything from 5mm to 20mm out back on the E90 on stock wheels, your tastes are what dictate the "right sized" spacer. The photo below shows how to measure for spacers.

Once you take the simple measurements you can decided how aggressive you'd like to go. I have everything from simple 2mm spacers all the way up to super aggressive 30mm spacers avaible HERE. Most likely you're going to be in the 12.5mm range, make sure to grab new bolts as you'll need extended wheel bolts. I have kits about half way down the first page which include the proper length wheel bolts.

Quote:
Just looking to see if you guys recommend springs, of what size i would need before rubbing on stock wheels
You can lower an E90 petty heavily before the stock wheels begin to rub.

Quote:
If that's the case I'd go for a mild spring, going with an aggressive spring is going to destroy the life of your stock struts. H&R Sports (found HERE) are as aggressive as I would suggest on stock struts, and even then remember your struts life is going to be shortened by using the lowering springs on them.

Quote:
They love quality set ups.

What type of ride are you looking to maintain?

Your entry level coilovers (ST, FK Highsports and Silverlines, etcs) are all going to have a rather firm ride, not uncomfortable but firmer than say the stock sport suspension by a good bit. Stepping into a Bilstein, H&R, FK Plus X, FK Konigsport, KW V2 and V3 set up, etc (your middle to upper tear) coilover system is going to give you greater adjustable (damping) which will allow you to fine tune your ride and maintain a better quality ride.

Have questions? Need answers? Live Chat us! 8:30am to 12:00am Midnight EST
sales@ecstuning.com | customerservice@ecstuning.com
Customer Service Hours: M - F 8:00am - 8:00pm EST | Saturday: 10:00am - 7:00pm EST
Sales Team Hours: M - F 8:00am - 11:00pm EST | Saturday: 10:00am - 7:00pm EST
800.924.5172 | OEM BMW Part Number Search
Do you love surveys? Click HERE to take our Customer Satisfaction Survey!