Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > The Best of Bimmerfest! > Tire Rack's Tires, Wheels, Brakes & Suspension

Tire Rack's Tires, Wheels, Brakes & Suspension
Discuss everything about wheels, tires, suspension and brakes for your BMW.

Sponsored by The Tirerack. Moderated by Gary@Tirerack.com

Old 06-08-2012, 09:17 AM

Mein Auto: BMW 328i Coupe
RUN FLAT vs NON RUN FLAT

I am interested in switching out from my OEM Run Flat Tires to Non-Run Flat Tires. Please advise of what the best tires are. I bought my BMW 328i Coupe in 2009 and I have changed my tires twice since buying. The hold no tread at all and they are very costly. Any suggestions....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	BMW.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	49.1 KB
ID:	328401  

Last edited by MsMinMD; 06-08-2012 at 09:23 AM.
Ads by Google
Old 06-08-2012, 09:32 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 328i Monaco Blue 'vert
Search is your friend here ....
Tons of threads on this topic.
Old 06-08-2012, 09:33 AM

I've been searching and cannot seem to find what I'm looking for.
Old 06-08-2012, 09:43 AM

Mein Auto: 335d
Question

That makes two of us. Information overload from all the threads in the forums.
Old 06-08-2012, 09:59 AM

Based on my research and all the reviews that I have read about all the tires that are well suited for my 328i the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S Plus (Ultra High Performance All-Season) is best for my car.
Old 06-08-2012, 06:35 PM

Smile

Did you review this tire test? http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/...y.jsp?ttid=147
Old 06-11-2012, 05:37 AM

thanks a bunch

Diesel Power,

Thank you so much for sending me these reviews. After reading the reviews and checking the specs I think I will go with the Potenza. I am familiar with the tires as I have the Run Flat OEM Potenza on my car now. However, I would much rather do non run flat at this point. Have a great day.
Old 06-11-2012, 06:05 AM

Mein Auto: 1995 BMW M3
+1 for the RE970 A/S Pole Position. Great tire!

Tires http://www.tirerack.com/a.jsp?a=AB2&...ires/index.jsp

Old 06-12-2012, 09:54 AM

I'm leaning towards the RE970AS as well.

Gary, in terms of handling, noise, and mileage (in that order), which tire would you recommend from the following: RE970AS, RE960AS RFT, P Zero Nero AS RFT, Primacy MXM4. My goal is to improve upon the OEM ContiProContact SSR.
Old 06-12-2012, 10:18 AM

Mein Auto: 1995 BMW M3
I'd lean towards the RE970.

Old 06-12-2012, 03:53 PM

Thanks, Gary. The 30-day Buy and Try Guarantee is an added benefit.
Old 07-03-2012, 06:38 PM
Luv'in Texas

Mein Auto: '08 Z4 3.0si
Gary,

I was considering the 960AS rft as my next set. I had the non-run flat version on a 2004 Z4 and really liked them. How does the run flat version compare to the non run flat version?
Old 07-03-2012, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bten View Post
Gary,

I was considering the 960AS rft as my next set. I had the non-run flat version on a 2004 Z4 and really liked them. How does the run flat version compare to the non run flat version?
I decided to go with the 960AS RFT. Really like them so far (500 miles). Welcome improvement compared to OEM ContiProContact SSR. About two weeks remaining on 30-day Buy and Try.
Old 02-02-2014, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel Power View Post
I decided to go with the 960AS RFT. Really like them so far (500 miles). Welcome improvement compared to OEM ContiProContact SSR. About two weeks remaining on 30-day Buy and Try.
About 28,000 miles on these tires now. 3 tires are at 5/32 and 1 at 4/32. All tires are slightly cupped. Looks like achieving 40K, which is the treadwear warranty threshold, will be a challenge. Rotating every 5K.

The tires have gradually emitted more noise since the 18K mark. Handling has been great and ride remains good. Still satisfied overall.

That said, I'm going to ditch the RFTs the next tire purchase and go with a higher treadwear warranty tire. Leaning towards Conti Extreme Contact DWS or Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3.

Last edited by Diesel Power; 02-02-2014 at 03:37 PM.
Old 02-15-2014, 04:35 AM

Mein Auto: Grad Coupe 640i
Thanks for sharing this info. I have the same issue with run flat tires with my 2013 BMW 640i Gran Coupe with 20" wheels. The car is literally a bone shaker.

I am thinking about switching to conventional tires (non run flat). I am thinking about Michelin, Pirelli, or Continental. What really matters to me is the comfort and rating A temperature and tracking.

Any suggestions would be really appreciated!
Old 02-17-2014, 01:04 PM

Mein Auto: X5 35D
I put Michelin Pilot AS3's on my 335D and had Tire Rack road force balance them.....nothing but positive things to say about the tire. Absolutely the best allseason tire I have ever had(and I drive 40,000 miles per year so I go through a lot of tires). Can't tell you about use in snow because I have dedicated snow tires but in dry and wet conditions they would be tough to beat. Previous tire had been Conti DWS and those could never be balanced correctly even with road force balancing. Suffered for 20,000 miles on those tires tires before I pitched them....never again
Hummer H3
Audi S4
Audi A8
Toyota 4 Runner
Nissan 300ZX Turbo
Mercedes 300E
GMC Jimmy
Triumph TR6
Old 02-17-2014, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnaer View Post
I put Michelin Pilot AS3's on my 335D and had Tire Rack road force balance them.....nothing but positive things to say about the tire. Absolutely the best allseason tire I have ever had(and I drive 40,000 miles per year so I go through a lot of tires). Can't tell you about use in snow because I have dedicated snow tires but in dry and wet conditions they would be tough to beat. Previous tire had been Conti DWS and those could never be balanced correctly even with road force balancing. Suffered for 20,000 miles on those tires tires before I pitched them....never again
Thanks for sharing that. I need a tire that can handle a small amount of snow. The initial feedback on the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3 doesn't appear to be favorable for that particular use. My climate doesn't justify dedicated snow tires.

Everyone has their own tire experiences and that's why different rating scores for the same tire occur. I often wonder how much quality control, particularly for the tire compound, plays a role in the wide range of scores.

That said, I remember when the Bridgestone Potenza RE970AS hit the market it was rated #1 in the Tire Rack survey results and the Conti DWS was #2. At the present moment, the Conti DWS remains #2 with over 34.9 million miles logged and the RE970AS has slipped to #7 with 2.4 million miles logged. The A/S 3 is currently #4 with approximately 231,000 miles logged. If you follow the survey results, generally a tire doesn't move up in the rankings from its initial debut.

I'll probably assign a higher weight to how a specific tire is rated by 3 Series owners before making my final decision.

Old 03-22-2014, 09:21 AM

New set of Conti DWS installed today. Big difference compared to the RE960AS Pole RFT. DWS is a better riding tire. Basically, 60 days to decide if I'm keeping the tires.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

Old 04-10-2014, 03:20 AM

Mein Auto: 2007 550i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel Power View Post
New set of Conti DWS installed today. Big difference compared to the RE960AS Pole RFT. DWS is a better riding tire. Basically, 60 days to decide if I'm keeping the tires.

I agree with Diesel Power, I use Conti Extreme Contact DWS all season ultra sport tires on my 550i and they are great in snow, rain and even on the track. In fact a few winters ago it snowed a ton in the DC/VA area and I was able to drive better then most AWD cars in traffic. Even right past an explorer stuck going up a hill.

I buy all my tire from Tirerack.com have them shipped to me and installed by a local repair shop. Best bang for your buck!