Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > The Best of Bimmerfest! > European Delivery > The Travel Forum

The Travel Forum
Planning a trip or have a great travel story? Need travel tips or want to share your experiences (and photos)? Whether you are travelling for business or pleasure, the Bimmerfest Travel Forum is your best resource on the Web.

Old 06-09-2012, 02:10 PM
Freude am Fahren

Mein Auto: Fünfer und Dreier
Review and report: My first-ever Delta Transatlantic Flight

Despite flying a lot on Delta, I just took my first trans-Atlantic (and, by extension, first trans-oceanic) trip with the airline.

It was a spur-of-the-moment thing, fueled by a desire to go somewhere I hadn't been (most of Scandinavia would qualify) and lots of low-mileage award availability in BE.

I wasn't thrilled about the fact that the aircraft would be a 763 without lie-flat seats but, then again, the cradle seats were state-of-the-art a while ago, no? I was also less than thrilled with a departure time of 17:10 as I prefer east-bound TATL flights that depart somewhat later as I find I sleep better on them.

The flight went smoothly, the purser was happy to accomodate my request for giving me my hot entrée while everyone else was starting with the very beginning of the meal service (in fact, I even had time for an appetizer, the gravlax, which was quite good) and I was able to try to go to sleep fairly early in the flight.

I took a lot of pictures of the aircraft empty prior to boarding as well as pictures during the flight and created several slideshows (one on the aircraft interior, section by section, one on the in-flight experience, and one on the T4 shuttle bus) for a longer review I wrote for Frequent Business Traveler. The review includes some history of the route, which dates back to PAA.

I didn't really sleep much (thanks to the seats) but I hadn't counted on much sleep either, knowing what I was going to get in terms of seating. We arrived on time and I am glad I went.

Here are are a few photos from Delta BusinessElite Flight 202 New York JFK – Stockholm – Review

F10 2014 535d M Sport Mondstein Metallic
F10 2012 ActiveHybrid 5 Azuritschwarz Metallic
MB 2011 E350 BlueTec
E70 2011 X5 xDrive35d*
E90 2010 335d*
E60 2008 550i*

E90 2006 330xi*
E90 2006 325i
E90 2006 330xi*
E39 2003 530i*
E46 2000 328Ci*
E36 1996 328iS*
E36 1992 325i*
E30 1991 318is*
E21 1982 320iS*
E21 1979 320 (6-Zyl)*
*retired
Advertisement
Old 06-11-2012, 03:00 PM
Powder Days

Mein Auto: 2005 X3 2.5i (ED 2004)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSpira View Post
Despite flying a lot on Delta, I just took my first trans-Atlantic (and, by extension, first trans-oceanic) trip with the airline.
I would have chosen Copenhagen over Stockholm but Stockholm may make the cut this year.

I travel TATL Biz Class on Sky Team at least twice a year and I can report the DL Lie Flats are much superior to the old style seats you endured.

Out of all of the Sky Team partners I have used TATL, AF, KL and DL, I have had the best experiences on DL including the time the individual A/V system crapped out on an East Bound flight to LGW. Didn't miss it at all since I slept almost all the way but they gave me a $200 voucher for the inconvenience. KL and AF are fine but I seem to have the best luck on DL.

Cheers

"I never understood the dread term "terminal illness" until I saw Heathrow for myself." Dennis Hopper
Old 06-11-2012, 03:27 PM
Freude am Fahren

Mein Auto: Fünfer und Dreier
Quote:
Originally Posted by X3 Skier View Post
I would have chosen Copenhagen over Stockholm but Stockholm may make the cut this year.
I did both - I immediately hopped on a flight to CPH upon landing in Stockholm. Spent two days there and flew back to ARN.

Quote:

I travel TATL Biz Class on Sky Team at least twice a year and I can report the DL Lie Flats are much superior to the old style seats you endured.
I've heard mixed reviews about the DL seats but they HAVE to be better than the recliners.

Quote:
Out of all of the Sky Team partners I have used TATL, AF, KL and DL, I have had the best experiences on DL including the time the individual A/V system crapped out on an East Bound flight to LGW. Didn't miss it at all since I slept almost all the way but they gave me a $200 voucher for the inconvenience. KL and AF are fine but I seem to have the best luck on DL.
I've flown on AF and KL both in F and C and was pretty happy overall (except I had bad experiences with AF's A380 IFE a few times but that didn't really impact me too much since most of what I want to view is on my iPad anyway).

The food was better on AF and KL IMO but not bad on DL. I'd still rate AA's food as better (and the wine selection on AA is definitely better, as are the wine glasses). The worst business seats are Lufthansa's current lie-flats (the new gen. is only in the 747-8 right now)

I guess each flight is a different experience.

F10 2014 535d M Sport Mondstein Metallic
F10 2012 ActiveHybrid 5 Azuritschwarz Metallic
MB 2011 E350 BlueTec
E70 2011 X5 xDrive35d*
E90 2010 335d*
E60 2008 550i*

E90 2006 330xi*
E90 2006 325i
E90 2006 330xi*
E39 2003 530i*
E46 2000 328Ci*
E36 1996 328iS*
E36 1992 325i*
E30 1991 318is*
E21 1982 320iS*
E21 1979 320 (6-Zyl)*
*retired
Old 06-12-2012, 03:09 AM
resU deretsigeR

Mein Auto: Leaf Tekna
When we lived in ATL, we flew Delta. Debbie reached Gold status and I was close to Silver. Debbie still flies with them occasionally and now that she's lost her SkyMiles status mostly in Economy Class. She recently flew MAN <--> ATL <--> BOG

Long Haul Economy class on Delta is simply terrible. Most transatlantic flights feature cramped uncomfortable seats, outdated entertainment system and completely inedible food. For an extra $50 or so Delta might let you purchase a seat with a couple extra inches of leg room. The bag allowance on the international legs isn't too terrible, but more often than not they've tried to charge us for baggage on the connecting domestic leg.

I have about 70,000 miles on DL and Debbie has more than that. I haven't used my miles as I can't stand the though of another ride in DL steerage.

I read that DL is upgrading the Pacific long haul fleet ahead of the atlantic fleet.
The models and equipment (standard and optional) illustrated in this post reflect my misunderstanding of vehicles supplied by BMW AG to the German market. In other EU member states, the truthyness of my posts may vary. Please ignore this post. Subject to change.

Last edited by Andrew*Debbie; 06-12-2012 at 03:15 AM.
Old 06-12-2012, 08:21 AM
Powder Days

Mein Auto: 2005 X3 2.5i (ED 2004)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSpira View Post

I guess each flight is a different experience.
Truer words were never spoken.

Cheers

"I never understood the dread term "terminal illness" until I saw Heathrow for myself." Dennis Hopper
Old 07-04-2012, 12:01 PM
Piacere di guidare

Mein Auto: 428 Cabrio - ED'ed 8-14
We used to fly Delta's Business Elite TATL back when they were the only carrier with good connections to MUC that we could apply our AMEX points to. Neither Karen nor I were able to get anything like sleep in those seats, but at least there were plenty of movie choices on the entertainment system. Now that the AMEX points can be used for virtually any carrier, we flew in British Airways' business class to MUC via LHR last year. I wasn't thrilled initially when the "lay-flat bed" seats turned our to be a Rube Goldberg-ish seat-and-footrest combo that had to be fussed with for about 15 minutes before I could get it to its flattest (noooot quite) position, but it was pretty good and we were both awarded with our longest, most refreshing sleep ever on an aircraft. Maybe the big glasses of Port the flight attendants kept pouring had something to do with it.

My 2014 ED trip report: Born Yesterday - 3rd ED off to a (mostly) flawless start
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=793345

My 2011 ED trip report: Second ED off and running... after a brief interruption
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=545068

My 2008 ED trip report: "Thirteen months, 135 miles and wha....?"
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=288271