Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E46 (1999 - 2006)

E46 (1999 - 2006)
The fourth generation 3 Series (E46 chassis) was introduced in 1999 and set the standard for engineering and performance during it's years of production including being named to Car & Driver's 10 best list every one of those years! ! -- View the E46 Wiki

Old 07-03-2012, 03:24 PM

Mein Auto: 2001 325ci
Cheap AUX connector for e46?!?

This might have been posted before but everything before talked about expensive DICE units and stuff. I have a 01 325ci without cd changer and simply want to have an AUX plug in to play my ipod touch music. I dont need to have a display showing what song is playing or anything complicated. Does anybody know the cheapest way to play ipod music through an AUX cord? thanks.
Ads by Google
Old 07-03-2012, 04:29 PM
ROLL TIDE!

Mein Auto: 2004 ZHP Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by furyhockey10 View Post
This might have been posted before but everything before talked about expensive DICE units and stuff. I have a 01 325ci without cd changer and simply want to have an AUX plug in to play my ipod touch music. I dont need to have a display showing what song is playing or anything complicated. Does anybody know the cheapest way to play ipod music through an AUX cord? thanks.
You have to have a newer (03 and up) business CD unit. Then you can buy a $40 AUX kit from BMW and it is plug and play. Unfortunately, a DICE will be cheaper than the above.

Check out my YouTube Channel for DIY's and other fun stuff HERE
Check out my BMWBLOG!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast Bob View Post
now, go burn your Man Card, and buy yourself a Camry....
Old 07-03-2012, 08:37 PM
Go Hokies!

Mein Auto: 2001 325i Touring 5-speed
Not sure what a Dice or a Grom unit costs. If you can manage to scrounge up $75, you can buy a Made-in-the-USA Blitzsafe BMW/AUX DMX V.1 adapter to plug into the unoccupied CD changer port in the trunk (it's there even if you don't have a changer installed). A few more bucks for a panel mount 3.5mm jack for your dash/console. Unless you can score an inexpensive '03+ HU and use the OEM cord as Smolck has mentioned, or are a wiring & soldering whiz, that's probably your cheapest option.
Old 07-04-2012, 02:19 PM

Thanks for that help guys... I looked up the Blitzsafe unit and it looks like exactly like what I would want. I have a couple of questions. How will I choose to play the aux through the dash since I don't have a "CD changer" or "Mode" button. Also, how easy would it be to install the unit into my trunk using those wire connectors that are not in use right now.. could I do it myself? Lastly, I know I have to buy a RCA to headphone jack cable which is like three bucks, but will I have to buy any other wires or cables to make the system work? thanks again.
Old 07-04-2012, 07:24 PM
Go Hokies!

Mein Auto: 2001 325i Touring 5-speed
Assuming you have an early OEM in-dash CD player like I do, you just hit the CD button until 1-99 (or something like that) appears. The Blitzsafe adapter spoofs the HU into thinking there's a CD changer hooked up. You then listen to music from your MP3 player, iPod or whatever.

I bought this kit from Amazon to set mine up:
http://www.amazon.com/PAC-IS335-3-5-.../ref=de_a_smtd You may have to buy an additional patch cord to run from the RCA-to-mini adapter to the panel mount's cord. Once you get things arranged you'll get a better idea of what length you need - hit up eBay or Monoprice.

The iSimple kit includes a spiffy panel-mount 3.5mm jack, which you can put anywhere you like. There's a DIY either on here or Fanatics that walks you through hooking up a Blitzsafe adapter in the trunk to the CD changer port, and putting a panel mount jack in the console by the DSC, HK, etc. buttons. Run the patch cord from the trunk, under the rear seat, under the carpet over the driveshaft tunnel (I found a coat hanger handy), and into the center console. I didn't want anything dangling in front of the shifter when I listened to tunes, so I installed the jack underneath the armrest.

Last edited by Germane Riposte; 07-04-2012 at 07:27 PM. Reason: typo
Old 07-05-2012, 08:59 AM

Thanks Germane for that help. I think I'll buy a blitzsafe unit and those cords to hook it up. It's exactly what I was looking for. The only thing I need to do before buying all the stuff is check to make sure those wires for the cd changer are there in my car, and make sure that it will actually "trick" my system into thinking theres a cd playing. I'll probably call blitzsafe just to make sure. But thanks to this strand I now know what I want to do. Thanks!
Old 07-05-2012, 10:02 AM

another question..

My passenger window won't work, but the small coupe in/out window works. it will close and open the small amount when I open and close the door, which leads me to believe its not the motor or actuator. Today I took the switch out and its not falling apart either like some strands say. do you have any idea what else could be wrong with it?