Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E39 (1997 - 2003)

E39 (1997 - 2003)
The BMW 5-Series (E39 chassis) was introduced in the United States as a 1997 model year car and lasted until the 2004 when the E60 chassis was released. The United States saw several variations including the 525i, 528i, 530i and 540i. -- View the E39 Wiki

Old 07-03-2012, 09:08 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 1997 540i
Need help with removing hose from back of intake

I'm stuck trying to remove a hose that connects from the back of intake/OSV its #2 below (#1, the fuel lines already removed)

This looks like a crimped clamp of some kind, how do I remove it? There is no screw to to take it off. I thought at first the hose in the back should come off easily according to some DIYs I read but it doesn't seem to be the case here, definitely doesn't wiggle off or have any clips. I looked at my new OSV to be installed and I can confirm this hose is connecting straight in to the OSV which has a right angle inlet

Advertisement
Old 07-04-2012, 01:57 AM

Mein Auto: 2001 BMW 540I 6spd
It's the OEM style hose clamp...use a needle nose plier and grab at the little tip where the clamp is bound and wiggle it loose until it breaks off. Use a regular hose clamp when installing your new part.
Old 07-04-2012, 06:34 AM

Mein Auto: 540/6, S60 Volvo, Tribeca
Don't cut the clamp. That short section of hose looks like the one that connects to the 90 elbow that plugs into the back of the CCV you are trying to replace. (the OSV is inside the front of the engine).
If you take a screwdriver and put it on the front side of the elbow while you wiggle the elbow up and down it will slide out of the silicon rubber grommet.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Rear_Injector2a.JPG
Views:	74
Size:	145.1 KB
ID:	331554  

2000 540/6 Slightly tweeked...everywhere
Old 07-04-2012, 02:27 PM
Agnostic Priest

Mein Auto: 2001 540i/6
if your talking about the fake hose clamp those things are such a pita to cut off but its your only option.
3" obx catback
full powerflex urethane setup
545 ssk
cdv delete
m5 rear sway bar
M5 chassis rods
M5 3.15 lsd
Bc-r coilovers w/ swift springs
Akebono=suck
ss braided brake lines

coming soon:

Jb lwfw

Old 07-04-2012, 02:29 PM

Yes the fake hose clamp. I am going to try the JimLev route first and hope for the best.
Old 07-04-2012, 04:09 PM

Grrr. I am about to just take a utility knife to this hose. I tried Jim's way but the rubber just split till the metal clamp and still wouldn't wiggle off. While trying to wiggle I broke some of that black rubber stuff that is under the wipers that is just for show but its annoying. I guess at least its easier to see in the back of the engine now, ha.

I really want this intake off so I might just cut haha but I guess I'd still have to deal with the crimp clamp that goes back away from the manifold. Ugh, why what looks such like a simple hose disconnection has to be be so difficult I have no idea. BMW sure made of total piece of crap design here, how fking hard would a screw clamp be here?
Old 07-04-2012, 04:44 PM

Mein Auto: 323is
Use side cutters and grab the part that sticks out. Twist and cut. Gotta buy a new clamp tho

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Bimmer App
Old 07-04-2012, 05:08 PM

Mein Auto: 98 540i
I cut that hose and replaced it with some armoured hose and screw-type clamps.

1998 540i M62 completely stock with $25K of maintenance to keep it that way!
Old 07-04-2012, 07:26 PM
Agnostic Priest

Mein Auto: 2001 540i/6
Quote:
Originally Posted by aspensilver540 View Post

I really want this intake off so I might just cut haha but I guess I'd still have to deal with the crimp clamp that goes back away from the manifold. Ugh, why what looks such like a simple hose disconnection has to be be so difficult I have no idea. BMW sure made of total piece of crap design here, how fking hard would a screw clamp be here?
bmw didnt invent this. its actually a common design in other applications. I was in a house under construction the other day and all the copperless plumbing tubes were crimped with the exact same connection. i mean it was exact. It had to be the same brand metal band and everything.
3" obx catback
full powerflex urethane setup
545 ssk
cdv delete
m5 rear sway bar
M5 chassis rods
M5 3.15 lsd
Bc-r coilovers w/ swift springs
Akebono=suck
ss braided brake lines

coming soon:

Jb lwfw

Old 07-04-2012, 07:44 PM

I didn't mean to imply they invented it, but they did design the engine and could have picked any clamp type. Maybe someone here knows of a benefit? Since I've already damaged the hose cutting seems fine. I guess I take comfort that others have found misery in this spot as well, not just me

Last item before I can finally take intake off is getting the cruise control cables(I think) disconnected from the throttle body, if anyone has experience with the Pre-Vanos throttle body:
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=630736

Excited to finally start replacing stuff soon!
Old 07-05-2012, 11:47 AM
Search, Read, THEN Ask

Mein Auto: 98 540i M62 3.15
Those Oetiker crimp clamps are actually designed so they don't cut into the hose when tightened down like typical worm clamps. This because they are exact fit clamps. However, it does require a special tool to crimp it on. I simply cut the crimp with a wire cutter and replaced with worm clamps. Given the age of the car, you really should take the time to replace as many hoses as you can with everything off. Just about every hose in there has reached it expected life already at 15 years.

When in a pinch measure the hose and simply go to your local auto parts store and buy the universally applicable vacuum, fuel or coolant hose.

In fact, I think I split that same hose during my overhaul and bought a cut to order 1/2ft Dayco Heater hose for like $1/foot and that split hose was like only 4 inches for $8 at the dealer. Just be sure the universal fit feels as thick as the split one since it is under vacuum. It's only when the hose has a special curvature that you should buy the OEM or equivalent just to route the hose properly.

Last edited by dvsgene; 07-05-2012 at 11:53 AM.
Old 07-05-2012, 07:13 PM

well I cut and it's off, yay. I wish I had cut much sooner.

Man for a $7 difference I will just buy the hose at the dealer and use screw-type clamps. Good to know about the Oetiker, perhaps these hoses last longer, I don't know. I cut through the cable using pliers with a bladed edge and it was still pretty tough, that cable definitely had another 15 years in it, while I look at a lot of my coolant hoses and they look like they have 15 weeks left -- very soft, some cracking. This rear manifold hose was like a ninja hose with thick threading that was tough to cut through

BTW I got the cruise control cables disconnected, I was just being daft it was super easy.

INTAKE OFF yay

There was a cup of gas left in the intake that I had to pour out, used it to clean the top of the intake ports with a microfiber towel. Now I'm wondering about Intake ports! There is a LOT of crud here, the top of it seems easy to clean but if I tried cleaning some of the crud inside the port it would seem hard to not have some of that crud fall down. So just how bad is it if crud gets in the port? Or is it mainly just that we want to a) not scratch the surface of the port, which is machined (hence microfiber towel) and b) vaccuum up the ports before re-seating the intake

I feel like its impossible crud didn't fall into the ports when I pulled the intake. 15 years of gunk, I'm pretty sure I am the first one to do this on my car. I can even see some bits in one port. I see everyone is really paranoid about getting stuff in the ports, I did cover mine but I wish I knew what exactly was the reason or is so crucial.

Last edited by aspensilver540; 07-05-2012 at 07:19 PM.
Old 07-05-2012, 08:04 PM

Mein Auto: 98 540i
I used my index finger into the intake ports to carefully remove the crud a bit at a time without falling into the head. Worked ok - just take your time and have some shop towels to clean off the crud off your sacrificial finger after every plunge!

1998 540i M62 completely stock with $25K of maintenance to keep it that way!