Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E39 (1997 - 2003)

E39 (1997 - 2003)
The BMW 5-Series (E39 chassis) was introduced in the United States as a 1997 model year car and lasted until the 2004 when the E60 chassis was released. The United States saw several variations including the 525i, 528i, 530i and 540i. -- View the E39 Wiki

Old 07-03-2012, 02:09 PM

Mein Auto: 1999 BMW 528i
ABS Brake Module

Can someone shoot me the link or an email address for some that does reapis to the ABS Brake Module. I found it a while back but misplaced the info. He did a 24 hour turn around by mail. Thanks.
Advertisement
Old 07-03-2012, 03:12 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '97 540i 6 speed
Module Master?

Ed in San Jose '97 540i 6 speed aspensilber over aubergine leather. Build date 3/97. Golden Gate Chapter BMW CCA Nr 62319.
Old 07-03-2012, 05:57 PM

Mein Auto: 740il
BBA-Reman $99 on ebay, including shipping both ways. Lifetime warranty.
Old 07-03-2012, 10:12 PM

Mein Auto: e39 528i Sport
BBA-Reman?

Jeff,
i searched all over and couldn't find anyone by that name. I did however come across "Modulerepair" on ebay in So. Cal. They have a very detailed page and explanation of everything, lifetime warranty like you indicated and $95.

They say they have done over 1000 units with barely an issue, plus they come programmed already so just plug and play.

My question is (seems like a no brainer but I'll ask anyway) has anyone used these guys and if so what's the skinny? They have a 99.9 rating so they sound a little risky...

Baring any negative here I will give them a shot and report back, Since I'm in San Jose it will be a quick turn around.

Last edited by Mototifosi; 07-03-2012 at 10:13 PM.
Old 07-04-2012, 02:42 AM
Seek to understand,^Value

Mein Auto: 02 BMW 525i M54 auto 130K
- Summary of all known ABS control module rebuilder options & new suppliers with prices (1)
Old 07-04-2012, 06:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mototifosi View Post
Jeff,
i searched all over and couldn't find anyone by that name. I did however come across "Modulerepair" on ebay in So. Cal. They have a very detailed page and explanation of everything, lifetime warranty like you indicated and $95.

They say they have done over 1000 units with barely an issue, plus they come programmed already so just plug and play.

My question is (seems like a no brainer but I'll ask anyway) has anyone used these guys and if so what's the skinny? They have a 99.9 rating so they sound a little risky...

Baring any negative here I will give them a shot and report back, Since I'm in San Jose it will be a quick turn around.
I gave you the link to the BBA-Reman ebay site (here it is again: BBA-Reman ebay), and their web site is the first thing that comes up when you google BBA-reman (http://www.bba-reman.com).

Never heard of Modulerepair (Module Repair Pro) before but their price is great and their ebay feedback is excellent.
Old 07-05-2012, 08:38 AM
Constantly Learning

Mein Auto: 2006 M3, 2002 M5
I used BBA Reman a few years back, happy with result though I paid more than they currently charge:

http://cparente.wordpress.com/2008/1...o-abs-problem/
Old 07-05-2012, 10:08 AM
Past Sponsor

Mein Auto: 00 540i/6
Did you troubleshoot the sensors to make sure it was the module?

Module rebuilders will tell you that only about 25% of modules can be rebuilt. The rest of them have bad components that cannot be sourced.

IF you end up needing a new one,
ASC - http://www.eaceuroparts.com/parts/pa...%20756%20343/3
DSC - http://www.eaceuroparts.com/catalog/product/426
Old 07-05-2012, 10:56 AM

As Jared suggested, I recommend the OP invest in a DMM and a thin paper clip to test the sensors; if all read similarly, I suggest the OP invest in an Exacto knife and toothpick to test the ABS control module.

Last edited by bluebee; 07-05-2012 at 11:06 AM.
Old 07-05-2012, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jared@EACTuning View Post
Did you troubleshoot the sensors to make sure it was the module?

Module rebuilders will tell you that only about 25% of modules can be rebuilt. The rest of them have bad components that cannot be sourced.

IF you end up needing a new one,
ASC - http://www.eaceuroparts.com/parts/pa...%20756%20343/3
DSC - http://www.eaceuroparts.com/catalog/product/426
The re-builders I've talked to say the percentage that can be rebuilt is much higher than 25%, and posts on this and other boards also indicate high success rates.

Will you match price on a new module? EuroPartsDirect sells the Bosch 5.7 module for $431.20 with free shipping.
Old 07-05-2012, 11:11 AM
Past Sponsor

Mein Auto: 00 540i/6
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebee View Post
Hi Jared,
I'm not so sure it's 25%.

IIRC, when I called while mine was on the bench, they quoted me something very high - I seem to remember something like a 95% probability. Maybe that's just one rebuilder. However, based on my understanding of the canonical ABS trifecta thread, I'd put it at over 50% and certainly not even close to 25% (IMHO).

In fact, since many of the modules have the 7th silvered wire lift off its bondpad, I would think the main problem for the rebuilders is not the 'repair' of the problem - but the amount of damage they do to the gold angel-hair wires while they're re-affixing the lifted wire.

While, I'm sure components do go bad - realistically, most who have opened a bad module reported back that the single silvered wire lifted off its bondpad.

However, the admonishment to check the wheel speed sensors (which takes less time than it took me to write this), is very good advice. My advice to anyone after that is to get out an exacto knife and a toothpick and spend a few minutes rooting around that 7th silvered wire to be sure.
It very well may be closer to 50%. The 25% came from MM a couple years back when my close friend sent his in from a 2000 540i. They could not repair it and gave him that average. Maybe they've improved also. I can tell you that we sell several of these a week and most people report that they did try to get theirs rebuilt. I, obviously, don't know how many are successful every week. There may be 100 weekly successes for every handful we sell. Regardless, it's always worth a shot. You're only out shipping costs.

I have a bad one here at the shop. I've been meaning to open it up and see how it failed but just haven't had time yet.

Thanks!
Jared
Old 07-05-2012, 11:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jared@EACTuning View Post
I've been meaning to open it up and see how it failed but just haven't had time yet
I agree with Jeffstri on the percentages ... based mostly on the information from users in the canonical thread, including my own experience.

It would be nice to see what yours looks like when you do open it. The good news is the rebuilders still take em, even after they've been opened. And we now know to first look at the 7th silvered wire.

It would be interesting to see if your seventh silvered wired lifted off its gold bondpad when you do get a round tuit and open it up.

See also Bill's ABS control module autopsy (with specific instructions necessary for a competent repair at home).