Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 (2012 - current)

F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 (2012 - current)
The sixth generation 3 series, chassis code F30. 2013 model year 328i and 335i sedans now in production. Read the F30 frequently asked question thread for all your basic question and dive into all the details in the ultimate F30 information thread.

Old 07-05-2012, 06:57 PM
Test... 1, 2 ,3

Mein Auto: 2012 M3 - 2014 528i
Quote:
Originally Posted by boltjaM3s View Post
As always, thanks again Technic.

Can I trouble you to take a few photos of what the non-cradled Split Screen looks like with an iPod song selection adjacent to the navigation map?

BJ
It looks the same regardless of cradle or not in split-screen mode. First you get the Artist/Album names and seconds later the screen changes to big-size Album Art with a elapse-time bar at the bottom.
Old 07-05-2012, 07:01 PM
Test... 1, 2 ,3

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcbrew View Post
Technic - just to confirm:
You get ipod-out with apple USB cable if you have Assist and Apps from the factory with no charging or issues recognizing the ipod?
As stated before, my post refers to the USB aftermarket modification for iPod Out without a cradle only.

Quote:
Also, if ipod-out takes over the whole screen, is there a way to select whether you want ipod-out only or the non-ipod-out that allows split screen?
Non-iPod Out screen is always by default if iPod Out is not selected while the device is in the cradle/snap-in.
Old 07-05-2012, 09:09 PM
BMW Platinum Visa® Member

Mein Auto: BMW L328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Technic View Post
It looks the same regardless of cradle or not in split-screen mode. First you get the Artist/Album names and seconds later the screen changes to big-size Album Art with a elapse-time bar at the bottom.
Thanks. If I'm using the nav to get me somewhere in split-screen mode and I get near a major intersection where action is required, does the nav 'overtake' the entire screen for that major milestone and revert to split-screen w/album art seconds later after that turn has been executed?

Wondering what the behavior is of iPod display in split-screen when you've reached a critical juncture in the trip on the nav.

BJ

2013 BMW L328i Luxury Sedan | Premium Package | Technology Package | Lighting Package | Steptronic® | PDC | Apps
Mineral Grey Metallic | Saddle Leather | Anthracite | Camera | Sirius | Rolex | Trophy Wife | Beach House | Status Package®
Old 07-06-2012, 05:24 AM
Test... 1, 2 ,3

Quote:
Thanks. If I'm using the nav to get me somewhere in split-screen mode and I get near a major intersection where action is required, does the nav 'overtake' the entire screen for that major milestone and revert to split-screen w/album art seconds later after that turn has been executed?

Wondering what the behavior is of iPod display in split-screen when you've reached a critical juncture in the trip on the nav.

BJ
No... one of the things that I tried in the short time driving in the Team USA event was split screen in the Nav to see if they did something different in the F30 vs the E90. Overall, it is the same fundamental GUI as in the E90 with the exception of a few new screens (Eco mode). There is a coding option in the E90 iDrive to switch the Arrow screen to full screen upon an intersection, though.

I think that the real changes in the GUI and interactions/animations are coming for the new iDrive just announced.

Last edited by Technic; 07-06-2012 at 05:25 AM.
Old 07-06-2012, 05:29 AM

Quote:
No... one of the things that I tried in the short time driving in the Team USA event was split screen in the Nav to see if they did something different in the F30 vs the E90. Overall, it is the same fundamental GUI as in the E90 with the exception of a few new screens (Eco mode). There is a coding option in the E90 iDrive to switch the Arrow screen to full screen upon an intersection, though.

I think that the real changes in the GUI and interactions/animations are coming for the new iDrive just announced.
This F30 will be my first car with iDrive so I have no point of reference for how it used to work or how it works currently.

So in split-screen mode (say, Nav on the left, iPod on the right) when you get to an intersection the lane assist overtakes the 50% of the screen that otherwise would have the map view? If so, that's a win I guess.

BJ

2013 BMW L328i Luxury Sedan | Premium Package | Technology Package | Lighting Package | Steptronic® | PDC | Apps
Mineral Grey Metallic | Saddle Leather | Anthracite | Camera | Sirius | Rolex | Trophy Wife | Beach House | Status Package®
Old 07-06-2012, 07:44 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2013 MG 328i Sport 6MT
Ok, replaced my touch battery. Bad news is that I broke my LCD. Will idrive control the iPod without launching the BMW app?
Old 07-06-2012, 07:51 AM
Test... 1, 2 ,3

Quote:
This F30 will be my first car with iDrive so I have no point of reference for how it used to work or how it works currently.

So in split-screen mode (say, Nav on the left, iPod on the right) when you get to an intersection the lane assist overtakes the 50% of the screen that otherwise would have the map view? If so, that's a win I guess.

BJ
Lane assist only works in Arrow mode in the 3-Series Nav, AFAIK.
Old 07-06-2012, 07:53 AM
Test... 1, 2 ,3

Quote:
Originally Posted by utnuc View Post
Ok, replaced my touch battery. Bad news is that I broke my LCD. Will idrive control the iPod without launching the BMW app?
You still will have access to the iTunes music if the iPod still is functional. But no access to BMW Apps if it is not started first.
Old 07-06-2012, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Lane assist only works in Arrow mode in the 3-Series Nav, AFAIK.
What's "arrow mode"?

BJ

Old 07-06-2012, 08:43 AM
Test... 1, 2 ,3

Quote:
What's "arrow mode"?

BJ
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/att...1&d=1261532308
Old 07-07-2012, 08:31 PM

Mein Auto: 528i
Say you have your screen showing the nav map on the left and entertainment details on thr right. When you get near an intersection the arrow display (or lane assist if the nav has the data for that particular street) will temporarily replace the entertainment details. If you had the map in full screen mode it would temporarily go to split screen with the arrows on the right. I have no idea what happens if you use iPod out in conjunction with the nav.

And just to clarify "iPod out" refers to the special BMW apps feature that displays the iPod's interface on the nav screen (but takes over the entire screen in the process). Even without this feature you can still plug I and control your iPod using idrive. But the interface is bmws slightly clunky search filter interface.
Old 07-08-2012, 06:19 PM

Another wrinkle in the iPod Out vs. Snap In Cradle: This Wednesday, BMW is announcing a brand new iDrive hardware/software setup for F30's being built starting in November 2012.

The new system is expected to have:

Software Enhancements

• Streamlined radio/media menu structure
• Improved navigation submenu structure
• Advanced Real-Time Traffic Information
• Weather information in navigation map
• POI enrichment*
• GoogleTM autocomplete*
* requires BMW Assist Convenience Plan.

Hardware Enhancements

• Intel processor 1.3Ghz vs Renesas 600Mhz
• 1Gb RAM vs 512Mb
• 8Gb flash vs 512Mb
• Nvidia graphics vs Fujitsu
• 200Gb harddisk vs 80Gb

As a July-build FY13 I'm not thrilled that I'm missing out on the new tech by a mere 90 days but I'm not waiting on it.

BJ

Old 07-08-2012, 07:29 PM
Test... 1, 2 ,3

Quote:
Another wrinkle in the iPod Out vs. Snap In Cradle: This Wednesday, BMW is announcing a brand new iDrive hardware/software setup for F30's being built starting in November 2012.

The new system is expected to have:

Software Enhancements

• Streamlined radio/media menu structure
• Improved navigation submenu structure
• Advanced Real-Time Traffic Information
• Weather information in navigation map
• POI enrichment*
• GoogleTM autocomplete*
* requires BMW Assist Convenience Plan.

Hardware Enhancements

• Intel processor 1.3Ghz vs Renesas 600Mhz
• 1Gb RAM vs 512Mb
• 8Gb flash vs 512Mb
• Nvidia graphics vs Fujitsu
• 200Gb harddisk vs 80Gb

As a July-build FY13 I'm not thrilled that I'm missing out on the new tech by a mere 90 days but I'm not waiting on it.

BJ
You will be able to swap the CIC unit later if you want it, however it will need to be enabled via coding. But hardware-wise it should be PnP.
Old 07-08-2012, 07:45 PM

Quote:
You will be able to swap the CIC unit later if you want it, however it will need to be enabled via coding. But hardware-wise it should be PnP.
Excellent news.

About how much might that cost me once they've got the new box ready?

BJ

Old 07-08-2012, 08:54 PM
Test... 1, 2 ,3

Quote:
Excellent news.

About how much might that cost me once they've got the new box ready?

BJ
Pricing is not available yet...
Old 07-11-2012, 08:58 AM

Mein Auto: 2012 BMW 328i
Will the old system be able to make use of the software upgrades? It is really annoying that my new BMW's hardware is already outdated after only 3 months.
Old 07-11-2012, 09:25 AM
Test... 1, 2 ,3

Quote:
Originally Posted by cozinsky View Post
Will the old system be able to make use of the software upgrades? It is really annoying that my new BMW's hardware is already outdated after only 3 months.
The new processor (1.3GHz vs 600MHz) may not be capable of handling the new GUI animations. And the size of the new software may exceed the current HDD capacity (200GB vs 80GB).
Old 07-11-2012, 12:48 PM

Mein Auto: 528i
Interesting. This was previousky announced for the 5 and 7. Wonder if theyll put it in the final year e92 as well. Hope they improve the nav system routing too but it doesn't sound like it. And if bmw assist still uses edge instead of 3g, google poi enrichment and auto conplete will be too slow. They should allow the option of using your tethered cell phone data. I know they offer something like that in the uk but I can't remrbrr what it's called.

Still If I can buy a new cic for around 500 I'd be tempted but I bet it will be closer to 1000. How much is the current unit?
Old 08-11-2012, 11:02 AM

Mein Auto: 2007 BMW 328i
New HW/SW???? WTF!

Hey folks,

Just ordered my new 2013 335, then I read about the HW/SW update. Being in the IT world, I know HW update is significant especially with the memory, graphics adapter, and CPU upgrade. MY vehicle is supposed to build the September. Is there a way to get those new upgrades?

I don't understand why November 2013 vehicles get the upgrade while the ones build earlier do not. Heck, is that even legal???

I am still confused about the iPhone adapter. Do I need it or not to access all the features in the technology package...to include video?

Thx
Old 08-11-2012, 12:56 PM

Mein Auto: 328i F30
Quote:
Originally Posted by beckyhead View Post
Hey folks,

Just ordered my new 2013 335, then I read about the HW/SW update. Being in the IT world, I know HW update is significant especially with the memory, graphics adapter, and CPU upgrade. MY vehicle is supposed to build the September. Is there a way to get those new upgrades?

I don't understand why November 2013 vehicles get the upgrade while the ones build earlier do not. Heck, is that even legal???

I am still confused about the iPhone adapter. Do I need it or not to access all the features in the technology package...to include video?

Thx
I would postpone your build to get the new iDrive, and by then there will be a new iPhone out so if you're going to get that you should wait to get a cradle for that handset.
Old 08-11-2012, 02:20 PM
RZ

Mein Auto: 2013 528 Alpine White/Oys
When I ordered my 2013 328, I elected not to get the snap in adapter because I know I have to get a new iPhone and have been waiting for the new iPhone5 to come out. Hopefully, BMW will start selling the adapter that will fit the new iPhone so I can add it later. HOPING!!!! If not, I'll just plug it in but I can't imagine that they won't make a new snap in adapter for the new phone.

12/13/12 2013 528i Alpine White, Oyster/Black Dakota Leather, Prem Pkg, Tech Pkg, Premium Hi-Fi Sound, Heated front Multi-Contour seats

Just Ordered 2/27/13: 2013 328 Conv, Liquid Blue Metallic, Oyster/Black Dakota Leather, Conv Pkg, Premium Pkg, Prem Sound Pkg, Navigation Sys
To Replace our leased 2010 128 Conv, Sports Pkg

Previous BMW: 2013 328 "Trade Assist"
Previous BMW: 2009 328 Convertible
Previous BMW: 2008 535i
Previous BMW: 2007 550i
Old 08-11-2012, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDZumbaugh View Post
When I ordered my 2013 328, I elected not to get the snap in adapter because I know I have to get a new iPhone and have been waiting for the new iPhone5 to come out. Hopefully, BMW will start selling the adapter that will fit the new iPhone so I can add it later. HOPING!!!! If not, I'll just plug it in but I can't imagine that they won't make a new snap in adapter for the new phone.
You don't want the snap-in adapter. I've gotten a lot of good advice in this thread and now have first-hand information to share after 5 days with the L328i. Much of this comes from Techic and others with my own experience mixed in, but we'll put it in this one spot so that others may benefit:

Cradle Not Even Necessary: BMW Apps run off the standard white USB cord that comes with your iPhone without the cradle. The only thing that the cradle gives you is better reception (only if you're in a really rural area) a faster charge (the standard USB cord is good enough for charging) and an Apple-designed UI for iPod's and iPhones (has a big limitation, can't do split-screens for navigation).

BMW Apps: They are not good, simple as that. Facebook and Twitter are very silly, there's a music streaming app but it's not Pandora (you use the Pandora app directly for that) and nothing else of real value. There is a BMW app that's not part of "apps" for the car, ironically, and it's called BMW Assist and that is completely wireless, you don't need any adapter or sync at all. Again, you can use BMW Apps without the cradle, just the white USB cord anyway.

Imprisoned iPhone: Unless you routinely take lengthy drives, you simply aren't going to want to dock/undock your iPhone in an armrest over and over again. And if you have a case (like the Apple bumper) you can forget it as it won't fit in the cradle and you won't want to have that extra step added in the mix either. We have khaki's with deep pockets, we have Bluetooth, our iPhones either stay in our pockets or they sit in the tray and we scan the home screen if a text message comes through. We're not trapping them under an armrest.

BMW App Functionality Is Bad: In order for Facebook and Twitter and the other lame BMW Apps to work you need to have the Connected Drive app running on your iPhone. The drawback? Anything that comes into your phone to disrupt the BMW Connected Drive app running shuts it down. So you could be reading a Facebook message about your friend's new baby photo (wonderful) and suddenly a phone call comes in and WHAM, the Facebook message is gone and now you're in a phone call. When done, you have to re-launch the BMW Connected Drive app and it doesn't remember where you left off.

The iDrive UI For iPod/iPhone Is Damn Good: I really wanted the Apple designed music app because it looked just like my beloved Apple TV. But then I found out that it isn't full screen and it doesn't allow split screen with nav intersection overtakes and that was the end of that. Now, I'm thinking the BMW UI is going to suck because, after all, it's not Apple but guess what- it's really good. I'd argue it's better than the Apple designed one because it simply is better integrated with the rest of iDrive.

A lot of typing to simply say: "Don't buy the cradle."

BJ

Old 08-11-2012, 09:27 PM
Swedish Murder Machine

Mein Auto: 328i x-drive
Quote:
Originally Posted by beckyhead View Post
Hey folks,

Thx
Apparently November build cars will get the new idrive hardware. Long wait.

Last edited by voip-ninja; 08-11-2012 at 09:31 PM.
Old 08-12-2012, 12:17 AM

Mein Auto: 328i F30
Quote:
Originally Posted by boltjam3s View Post
you don't want the snap-in adapter. I've gotten a lot of good advice in this thread and now have first-hand information to share after 5 days with the l328i. Much of this comes from techic and others with my own experience mixed in, but we'll put it in this one spot so that others may benefit:

cradle not even necessary: Bmw apps run off the standard white usb cord that comes with your iphone without the cradle. The only thing that the cradle gives you is better reception (only if you're in a really rural area) a faster charge (the standard usb cord is good enough for charging) and an apple-designed ui for ipod's and iphones (has a big limitation, can't do split-screens for navigation).

bmw apps: They are not good, simple as that. Facebook and twitter are very silly, there's a music streaming app but it's not pandora (you use the pandora app directly for that) and nothing else of real value. There is a bmw app that's not part of "apps" for the car, ironically, and it's called bmw assist and that is completely wireless, you don't need any adapter or sync at all. Again, you can use bmw apps without the cradle, just the white usb cord anyway.

imprisoned iphone: Unless you routinely take lengthy drives, you simply aren't going to want to dock/undock your iphone in an armrest over and over again. And if you have a case (like the apple bumper) you can forget it as it won't fit in the cradle and you won't want to have that extra step added in the mix either. We have khaki's with deep pockets, we have bluetooth, our iphones either stay in our pockets or they sit in the tray and we scan the home screen if a text message comes through. We're not trapping them under an armrest.

bmw app functionality is bad: In order for facebook and twitter and the other lame bmw apps to work you need to have the connected drive app running on your iphone. The drawback? Anything that comes into your phone to disrupt the bmw connected drive app running shuts it down. So you could be reading a facebook message about your friend's new baby photo (wonderful) and suddenly a phone call comes in and wham, the facebook message is gone and now you're in a phone call. When done, you have to re-launch the bmw connected drive app and it doesn't remember where you left off.

the idrive ui for ipod/iphone is damn good: I really wanted the apple designed music app because it looked just like my beloved apple tv. But then i found out that it isn't full screen and it doesn't allow split screen with nav intersection overtakes and that was the end of that. Now, i'm thinking the bmw ui is going to suck because, after all, it's not apple but guess what- it's really good. I'd argue it's better than the apple designed one because it simply is better integrated with the rest of idrive.

A lot of typing to simply say: "don't buy the cradle."

bj
+1
Old 08-12-2012, 12:44 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 X5M, 13 x6 5.0 soon
Mog is a great app.