Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)

X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)
E70 BMW X5 produced between 2007 and 2013. Discuss the E70 X5 with other BMW owners here.

Old 07-07-2012, 05:08 PM
Fool 4 a BMW

Mein Auto: 2006 750Li
Question Is this true

I am considering the purchase of a 2009 X5 -4.8 and was wondering if the following is true.
The vehicle does not have navigation but is equipped with Bluetooth; will I be able to operate the following functions -Tele/Radio/CD/Climate – via voice commands or am I limited to just Telephone voice commands seeing as Navigation is not installed? (The sales person states the later---)
Thanks
Ads by Google
Old 07-07-2012, 11:41 PM
Resident Curmudgeon

Mein Auto: '12 X5 35d/E39M5/996TTX50
Who cares? The voice control is a PITA.

BMW dealer? Get a CPO warranty if you can.

GL

A
Old 07-08-2012, 04:49 AM

Mein Auto: 2012 BMW X5 35d
Ive got to agree with ard. The voice control stinks. Cant wait until they get Siri working in these cars....
Old 10-19-2012, 11:57 AM

Mein Auto: 320i, X3 and X5
I have that problem with my X5 2013, I can only say telephone commands, I went to the dealer today and they told me that I have to have the 620 option which is the voice command system, but Im not sure about this, I can say voice commands!!!??? like phone numbers and contacts voice commands, besides that my wife has a X3 2012 and she can handle everything by voice, I checked both VINs to see on which the vehicles are different and I found no mention on any that the 620 is installed, ah I also have only the spanish speaking girl, which I hate since this is a Spain acccent lady which is annoying for most Latin American people, so I asked the dealer to include on my X5 the English UK voice as my wifes X3, I have a date with the dealer next thursday and I want to see what they are going to invent, Im pretty sure this is a matter of software version.
Old 10-19-2012, 06:56 PM
Mmmmmm…

Mein Auto: '13 Range Rover S/C
The voice control is a piece of crud.

Also the navigation is junk.

Get a Garmin or something better.
Old 10-19-2012, 08:36 PM

Mein Auto: 320i, X3 and X5
What i dont understand is why the manufacturer acts this way, if your are buying a cheap car an option like this may makes a big difference on pricing, but on a $90K car it makes no sense at all to handle options like this, considering that full voice control can be a standard feature for the WHOLE production of BMWs with Idrive, Im pretty sure it is more expensive for the manufacturer to implement and keep control over which car would be fitted with a full voice control and which ones not, compares with the price of the equipment required.
Old 10-20-2012, 11:27 AM
Mmmmmm…

Mein Auto: '13 Range Rover S/C
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgarciah View Post
What i dont understand is why the manufacturer acts this way, if your are buying a cheap car an option like this may makes a big difference on pricing, but on a $90K car it makes no sense at all to handle options like this, considering that full voice control can be a standard feature for the WHOLE production of BMWs with Idrive, Im pretty sure it is more expensive for the manufacturer to implement and keep control over which car would be fitted with a full voice control and which ones not, compares with the price of the equipment required.
Actually most of these things are implemented in software. Basically many different models have the same hardware; however if you don't choose the option, it's not enabled in software.