Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > The Best of Bimmerfest! > European Delivery > The Travel Forum

The Travel Forum
Planning a trip or have a great travel story? Need travel tips or want to share your experiences (and photos)? Whether you are travelling for business or pleasure, the Bimmerfest Travel Forum is your best resource on the Web.

Old 05-27-2012, 12:49 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 328 328 308
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ucla95 View Post
If you have a 4G iPad how much is the data charge while in Europe?
AT&T sells reasonably priced international data plans. Just remember to turn data off when not in use otherwise you can eat it up unintentionally.
Old 05-27-2012, 02:44 PM
resU deretsigeR

Mein Auto: Leaf Tekna
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ucla95 View Post
If you have a 4G iPad how much is the data charge while in Europe?
Same as 3G. The 4G system in the new iPad doesn't work in Europe.
The models and equipment (standard and optional) illustrated in this post reflect my misunderstanding of vehicles supplied by BMW AG to the German market. In other EU member states, the truthyness of my posts may vary. Please ignore this post. Subject to change.
Old 06-25-2012, 09:31 PM

Mein Auto: many
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew*Debbie View Post
Same as 3G. The 4G system in the new iPad doesn't work in Europe.

We will be driving from Munich to Dusseldorf in early Sept., wonder if my iPad will work the whole way. I use the map feature a bunch when traveling, it allows you to explore the back roads without getting lost

57 NAPCO
Old 06-26-2012, 04:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roguewave View Post
We will be driving from Munich to Dusseldorf in early Sept., wonder if my iPad will work the whole way. I use the map feature a bunch when traveling, it allows you to explore the back roads without getting lost
Ours worked all the way from Munich to Alsace.
Remember that once you've loaded your route (best done before setting off for the day somewhere there's free wifi) you don't need to keep the wifi on to track your position.
Old 06-26-2012, 04:48 AM

Apple Airport on the road

Is there any reason that I can't set up my own wifi in my hotel room with my Apple Airport modem?
The wired web is free but they charge for in room wifi.
Old 06-26-2012, 09:46 AM
Powder Days

Mein Auto: 2005 X3 2.5i (ED 2004)
Quote:
Originally Posted by VIZSLA View Post
Is there any reason that I can't set up my own wifi in my hotel room with my Apple Airport modem?
The wired web is free but they charge for in room wifi.
If it works one place it should work anywhere. I use my own portable router in much the same way.

Cheers

"I never understood the dread term "terminal illness" until I saw Heathrow for myself." Dennis Hopper
Old 06-26-2012, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by X3 Skier View Post
If it works one place it should work anywhere. I use my own portable router in much the same way.

Cheers
Thanks.
I don't know why I think that wifi should be free but I do take (irrational?) offense when a hotel tacks on a fee.
Old 07-08-2012, 10:30 PM
(aharding)ED #1 Sept 2012

Mein Auto: BMW GC & MB SL500
How do you load maps into the iPad? I know on my iPhone that as I zoom in and out, the images reload over the 3G. Is it different in the iPad?

Can you zoom in and out or do you need to keep the image stationary?

2013 F06 640i Gran Coupe Carbon Black | M Sport Package | Amaro Brown Merino Leather | Fine Line Oak Wood Trim | Driver Assistance Package | Luxury Seating Package | Bang & Olufsen | Ceramic Controls | BMW Apps | Full LED Lighting
ED Trip Report - September 2012
Post your Neuschwanstein Castle photo here
Hawaii Vacation Rentals
Old 07-08-2012, 10:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VIZSLA View Post
We just drove from Munich to Mulhouse and on to Paris using the iPad maps app.
We're doing an ED in Sept. with the same route. Pick up in Munich, drop off in Paris, 5 days later.

Very interested to hear about your trip. Types of roads encountered, places you stopped. Quality of the roads, scenery and traffic conditions.

Thanks for any advice.

2013 F06 640i Gran Coupe Carbon Black | M Sport Package | Amaro Brown Merino Leather | Fine Line Oak Wood Trim | Driver Assistance Package | Luxury Seating Package | Bang & Olufsen | Ceramic Controls | BMW Apps | Full LED Lighting
Hawaii Vacation Rentals
Old 07-09-2012, 04:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aharding View Post
How do you load maps into the iPad? I know on my iPhone that as I zoom in and out, the images reload over the 3G. Is it different in the iPad?

Can you zoom in and out or do you need to keep the image stationary?
Usually. There were times when zooming in would result in blank areas though. If you need more detail you can reconnect briefly and reload your map.

Quote:
We're doing an ED in Sept. with the same route. Pick up in Munich, drop off in Paris, 5 days later.

Very interested to hear about your trip. Types of roads encountered, places you stopped. Quality of the roads, scenery and traffic conditions.

It was almost entirely Autobahn from Munich to the border. Much of it was speed limited due to construction ( keeping the roads safe for speed takes continued maintenance) but there were more than enough unlimited areas to allow for fun.
The French roads, while limited, were traffic and construction free enough to allow a similar average speed.
If you have specific questions let me know.
Bon voyage.
Thanks for any advice.
Old 07-09-2012, 08:15 AM

How was the traffic traveling through Mulhouse? Sounds like you did all Autobahn driving? We're planning on Alpine road to Lindau, then not sure of route to Burgundy. Looks like Burgundy to Paris is all Autobahn but at slower speed.

Hawaii Vacation Rentals

Last edited by 640GC; 07-09-2012 at 08:18 AM.
Old 07-09-2012, 08:26 AM

Quote:
How was the traffic traveling through Mulhouse? Sounds like you did all Autobahn driving? We're planning on Alpine road to Lindau, then not sure if route to Burgundy.
Mulhouse was no problem. Just the usual light city traffic. The German leg was almost all autobahn but in France we did some B roads as well as the Route Nationales.
When planning the trip the two hard points were Munich and Paris. A quick look at a map showed Mulhouse to be an ideal half way stopping point and since I've been dying to see the Schlumph collection for years we booked a room at a chateau in Colmer.
Last time we headed south from Munich through Austria, Lichtenstein, Switzerland and Italy. It was a prettier ride but we wanted to see some new areas this trip. Going south to Paris you leave Germany sooner and miss some autobahn miles but may be worth it.
On this trip we did no sightseeing enroute wanting to maximize our time in Paris so chose what we thought to be the fastest way.