Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 F25 (2011 - current)

X3 F25 (2011 - current)
The latest X3 brings some added style and some new features to the BMW SUV family. Talk about the new F25 now!

Old 07-06-2012, 02:32 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 x3 35i msport
Engine acceleration when braking

I just purchased a beautiful 2013 silver x3 35i m sport last weekend. It's gorgeous. It now has about 140 miles on it. Twice when breaking slowly (in a parting lot) to stop, the car/engine has continued to try to accelerate. To the point I was basically standing on the break and it was still creeping forward. The first time, to avoid crashing into the building in front to me, I punched the start/stop button to turn the car off. The second time, the car moved forward to where I had to pull into traffic quite dangerously. The floor mat was not obstructing the gas pedal etc. so that's not an issue. The dealer now has it back to investigate. Any thoughts? Never experienced anything like this before. Thanks.
Ads by Google
Old 07-06-2012, 02:51 PM
Happily Driving

Mein Auto: 2014 550i M Sport
Can't help you, that seems very strange. BMW is supposed to have Brake Override.

Gone, but not forgotten:
2006 530i
, European Delivery June 2005
2008 335i Coupe 6MT, PCD November 2007
2011 550i M Sport, European Delivery May 2011

BMWCCA #350568
Old 07-06-2012, 03:25 PM

Mein Auto: Boxster S; '13 X3 AW/CHT
There is something most definitely wrong with your car. What you describe sounds weird because the brakes in most modern cars, and I would guess BMWs as well (I pick mine up 7/18), can bring the car safely to a stop even if you are accelerating. [I never understood also all those supposed unintended acceleration claims involving Toyota Camry]. For example, I have tried this with my Porsche and even with the strong engine of the Porsche and low weight of my car, the brakes were strong enough to bring the car to a stop even if pressing the gas (it has no fuel cut off when pressing brakes as some folks that track their cars left foot trail brake a bit in some corners).

Hopefully the dealer will diagnose and fix this for you.
Old 07-06-2012, 03:26 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2013 X3 M-Sport
Sounds fishy to me.
Old 07-06-2012, 03:37 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to captirwin
Mein Auto: 2013 X3 35i
Please tell us what the dealer said and did to resolve the issue.

Last edited by captirwin; 07-06-2012 at 03:40 PM.
Old 07-06-2012, 03:58 PM

Will let you know/post the outcome. Appreciate any, all feedback. I'm a hospital pharmacist but cars are not my thing knowledge wise. Thanks.
Old 07-07-2012, 06:33 AM

Mein Auto: '06 X3
Scary stuff! Be sure to document everything you get back from the dealer -- keep a running list of who you contacted there, the gist of the conversation, times and dates. If they come back with a "unable to duplicate" finding you will need this info in case it happens again. Also, perhaps shifting to "N" should also work vice pushing the button (I hate those S/S buttons!) to keep you from running into something. This is a safety issue so you need it to be fixed right, or the car replaced with one that works! Good luck and let us know the results please.
Old 07-07-2012, 09:06 AM

Reports of unintended acceleration are typically driver error.

The car will not accelerate in neutral. Pressing the gear selector forward (while in drive) will stop any forward motion.

I'd suggest knoxvolgirl practice moving the gear indicator forward into neutral from drive.

Also... just press the brake pedal it will stop the car.

Old 07-07-2012, 09:53 AM

I don't find sarcastic responses to be helpful. Evidently you do. Please save any future such comments for other participants who might also. Perhaps you might also save them to share with persons without a doctorate behind their name.
Old 07-07-2012, 10:01 AM

Sorry, there is no sarcasim in my response. ...just facts.

If you do have a doctorate you'll know how to research "unintended acceleration".
Old 07-07-2012, 10:08 AM

Mein Auto: E34 M5, X3 3.5, E39 530i
I have. 2012 X3 m sport and never experienced that condition.
Old 07-07-2012, 10:57 AM

Mein Auto: x3
The acceleration is definitely a serious concern. Most common problem would be driver error, but if you are experiencing this problem I would immediately have this reviewed.
Old 07-09-2012, 11:56 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 X3 xDrive35i
Not saying that this is your problem but I have, on occasion, discovered that I was pressing both the brake pedal and the gas pedal when braking, resulting in the symptoms that you describe. I drive our F25 very infrequently (it's my wife's car). Interestingly, we both had the same experience when we drove an X5 at the delivery center. (It was the first time either of us had been in an X5, much less driven one. We didn't know how to start the vechicle or select a gear. Made for some amusing moments.) Apparently the pedals are closer together and/or the seat is angled differently in the bimmer than in the old Fords I normally drive. My wife has totally adjusted since she refuses to drive the old cars! It has happened to me often enough that I now think about it as soon as I get behind the wheel of the X3.

Hope this helps!
Old 07-09-2012, 11:58 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 F10 528i
My money's on operator error, possibly enabled by pedal placement.
Old 07-09-2012, 12:31 PM

Mein Auto: Hertz rent-a-car
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coder View Post
Not saying that this is your problem but I have, on occasion, discovered that I was pressing both the brake pedal and the gas pedal when braking, resulting in the symptoms that you describe. I drive our F25 very infrequently (it's my wife's car). Interestingly, we both had the same experience when we drove an X5 at the delivery center. (It was the first time either of us had been in an X5, much less driven one. We didn't know how to start the vechicle or select a gear. Made for some amusing moments.) Apparently the pedals are closer together and/or the seat is angled differently in the bimmer than in the old Fords I normally drive. My wife has totally adjusted since she refuses to drive the old cars! It has happened to me often enough that I now think about it as soon as I get behind the wheel of the X3.

Hope this helps!

To eliminate this as a possible cause, try driving with a thin soled shoe so you can feel the pedal.

I'm just glad you had the sense to turn off the engine when your are accelerated on its own.

Last edited by lukeeesteve; 07-09-2012 at 12:34 PM.
Old 07-09-2012, 12:33 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 X3 28i
My first thought too was pedal placement. I've done this before.

The brake and accelerator are intentionally placed pretty close to allos a driver to press the brake and "blip" the throttle (tap the raise the RPM's to match speed) on downshifts. On an X3, there is no real reason for this anymore since the computer blips the throttle for you on downshifts (my experience on 2013 X3 28i) and no manual available here in the US. I'm sure they keep the pedal placement consistent across their entire fleet of cars where it is practical to do this. Make sure to rule this out when you get a chance by either lifting off brake and trying again and making sure you're not nudging the throttle.

I don't think it's a malfunction of the accelerator pedal as there are redundant checks and balances that analyzes it constantly for any possible errors and immediately goes into "limp home" mode if an issue is detected.
Old 07-09-2012, 03:14 PM

Mein Auto: X3
At the risk of offending knoxvollgirl I think this may be due to foot placement on the pedals. This hasn't happend to me in my 2013 M-Sport X3 but I have had happen in my company vehicle - Chevy Astro van. If I have my foot at an angle on the brake pedal with the right edge of the brake under the ball of my foot, the right side of my foot will be pressing down on the gas pedal at the same time I am attempting to apply the brakes. Sometimes it takes me a couple seconds to figure out why I'm both braking and accelerting, once I shift my foot the problem goes away.
Old 07-09-2012, 03:36 PM

Mein Auto: x3
Consider looking at the floor mats? I used my old car mats that normally slides under the hanging gas pedal. Unfortunately the design is with the gas pedal attached to the floor. Unless you properly cut the aftermarket or purchase BMW X3 designed mats, you would be covering the gas pedal; the improper mat inadvertently sliding causing the sudden acceleration.

Last edited by slambmw; 07-09-2012 at 03:38 PM.
Old 07-10-2012, 06:43 AM
///Mpty pockets

Mein Auto: wankermatic
Quote:
Originally Posted by knoxvolgirl View Post
Perhaps you might also save them to share with persons without a doctorate behind their name.
Old 07-10-2012, 08:50 PM

Mein Auto: '06 X3
Unintended acceleration can happen -- check the fairly recent Toyota Lexus problems, as well as the infamous Audi disasters of years ago. While some of this can be put down to driver error, or floormats, or thick soled shoes, others cannot and could laid at the door of the drive by wire systems. In any case it is a serious problem, one that should be reported.
Old 07-11-2012, 11:50 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 X3 28
I've experienced a similar issue with my X3 several times but without "acceleration". I'll come to a complete stop, foot only on the brake, only to have the car unexpectedly leap forward a foot or two requiring me to stomp it. I think it is due to applying just enough pressure to stop the car but not enough to hold it back. Now I brake firmly and it seems to prevent "slippage" from occuring. Still not sure if it is a change in idle or brake pressure that causes the unexpected surge. Definitely scared me at intersections.
Old 07-11-2012, 07:45 PM

Mein Auto: Hertz rent-a-car
Quote:
Originally Posted by TN_SUP View Post
I've experienced a similar issue with my X3 several times but without "acceleration". I'll come to a complete stop, foot only on the brake, only to have the car unexpectedly leap forward a foot or two requiring me to stomp it. I think it is due to applying just enough pressure to stop the car but not enough to hold it back. Now I brake firmly and it seems to prevent "slippage" from occuring. Still not sure if it is a change in idle or brake pressure that causes the unexpected surge. Definitely scared me at intersections.

Time for you to activate auto hold till it gets sorted out. A surge is scary....creeping forward is one thing. Surging is scary.
Old 07-11-2012, 08:16 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 X3 35i
This sounds like the idle jumping that there is a TSB out for. The car would rev and the RPM's would jump even when your foot was off the gas and on the brake. My first 2011 X3did this and my second one would do it on start up once or twice a month. There is a software reprogram to fix it. I'll look at the SIB I have and let you know what the number is.
Old 07-12-2012, 03:54 AM
Happily Driving

Mein Auto: 2014 550i M Sport
The idle surge is on the 2013's? Very interesting- looking forward to seeing the TSB. You'd think they'd apply the TSB before letting the car leave the factory preparation area.

Gone, but not forgotten:
2006 530i
, European Delivery June 2005
2008 335i Coupe 6MT, PCD November 2007
2011 550i M Sport, European Delivery May 2011

BMWCCA #350568
Old 08-21-2012, 06:10 PM

Just wanted to provide an update. The dealer was very responsive/willing to investigate the problem. They kept the car for a week and the 2 or 3 persons drove it to their home and back each day at my request. They said they could not reproduce the problem. I drove with 3 of them in the car so that they could see if I was doing anything that might cause the sudden acceleration. Again, no problems. I have to believe something, I don't know what, was adjusted on the braking because it now breaks much easier. To date I have had no further instances of sudden acceleration/jump in rpms. I have not changed the way I drive. I remain hopeful that the issue will not arise again.

At the risk of sounding stupid, what is a TSB. (transportaion safety bullitin?) Any further info on the one issued for this problem with the x3?

Thanks to all for your feedback/info